Best Panoramic Camera 6x17

snowy_smith2

BEST PANORAMIC 6x17 CAMERA.

I am very seriously considering buying a panoramic 6x17 Camera new,

the latest model.

The latest models of both the Fuji and Linhof have improved greatly.

I want to use the camera for Outdoor Landscape Photography.

I am considering buying the 90mm and the 180mm lenses.

Kindly give your views on which is the best camera and lenses?

Also is it necessary to use the centre filter on the 90mm lenses.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

From

Snowy Smith

South Africa

<faircivillaw@absamail.co.za>

Of the rangefinder type cameras the Linhof Technorama III with be the best. And yes

you will need the center weighted filter on the 90mm lens.<P>

Better , or at least a bit more versatile, is the Canham MQC camera combined with the

Canham 6x17cm roll film holder. You can use any large format lens -- from 72mm to

at least the 720mm T-Nikkor --that covers the format, do macro work with it, and

have full front movements like shift , rise/fall tilt and swing, and shift and swing

movements on the rear standard as well. You can also shoot 5x7 and with the adapter

back 4x5 (9cm x 12cm) film as well. No accessory bellows or extension rails are

needed and it is designed for field work. it is a view camera so you focus using the

groundglass. More details are at <a href = http://www.canhamcameras.com> http://

www.canhamcameras.com</a>.

If money were no object, I'd get the Linhof 617sIII since I think

the schneider lenses are second to none (I use the Fuji w/ 105/8

lens). But regardless of the system, the achilles heel of 6x17's is

you don't have a ground glass to focus on. The Fuji 617 has an

optional GG..I've seen it, so at least it's available. I don't think

Linhof offers one. And even if you have a GG, you can only use it

before loading a fresh roll. Also, there is no tilt. Art Pan does

make a 6x17 back that fits on a 4x5. The film plane is a few

inches behind the 4x5 film plane, and the lenses are limited

from 80-180mm or something like that, but you get movements,

and can shoot both 6x17 and 6x12. I've yet to see this back

offered outside of Japan (I know RW doesn't have it). Nowdays,

if I know my focusing will be at infinity, i'll bring the pan.

Otherwise, the 4x5 is more versatile, but takes time...I guess one

small advantage of the Fuji 105mm over the schneider 90mm is

the center ND filter is only 1 stop vs . 2 stop for the Schneider IVa

filter. So for shots when it's windy, that extra stop might make a

critical difference. The Fuji 105 lens is sharp, but flare prone if

any sunlight whatsoever directly strikes the filter.For this reason,

I try to avoid shooting shots directly into the sun. OTOH, I can do

this w/ my 4x5 and schneider glass (don't have to use the ND

filter w/ the 90XL for mild movements)

I rented a Technorama a while back, and it came with a thing made of special cloth and two spools, that you put in the camera with the back off, and you could focus on. I didn't bother with it and focussed just fine by guess. Besides, nearly all my pan shots are at infinity. It would be handy for precision framing, though.

With only 4 shots a roll, it isn't the end of the world that you can only use the focus back between rolls.

Though everything that Ellis says is true, I wouldn't recommend an LF camera to someone with no inclination in that direction.

CXC

On a recent trip I rented the Fuji GX617 with a 90mm lens and loved it. The

ONLY downfall I found was that the focus was in meters but it was good

shooting @ F16, and 22. The 90mm was a perfect lens for this format and you

really need the $300+ center field filter for the 90mm and the 105!!!

"If money were no object, I'd get the Linhof 617sIII since I think the schneider lenses are

second to none (I use the Fuji w/ 105/8 lens). But regardless of the system, the achilles

heel of 6x17's is you don't have a ground glass to focus on."

First we are offering a special to our dealers that makes their cost for the Linhof

Technorama 617S III with lens and finder several hundred dollars less then the Fuji. And

the cameras are in stock for immediate delivery to a dealer.

Secondly it is very easy to lock the T617 shutter open with a locking cable release and

hold a groundglass or even wax paper or vellum to the film plane to focus. However

neither Linhof nor Fuji have a darkslide in the camera so you can only focus at the film

plane when the camera is not loaded.

The focusing by scale is very easy, especially with the 72 or 90mm lenses.

A customer of mine shoots 6x9 and wider nature images. He has some excellent coffee table books and sells some huge prints.

Three years back, he went with the Linhof and has been very satisfied. He found the Linhof to be extremely well-constructed and found that the optics were uniformly excellent.

I have a Linhof 617SIII with 90mm and 180mm lenses, and a Fuji GX617 with 300mm lens...so I have a perspective with using both models frequently. The short answer is that you'll be pleased with either one, but you can read my full-page review at www.dannyburk.com; just go to "reviews" and then to the proper page.

Regards,

Danny

<b>I have a very low cost solution that works for me... I cut away a darkslide to leave 1/2 of the 4x5 film area only exposed. I remove the full slide and place this masking slide into the camera and shoot. I have a rotating back which is nice as I can then simply rotate 180 degrees (otherwise one would have to recompose)and make another exposure if necessary by masking the other side of the film. It takes a bit of getting used to but I've had fine results with it and the usable area is 4.25mm x 11.7mm which is roughly 6.2 x 17 proportion. Think of the cost savings and the nice 110 Super Symmar you could buy and dispense with the centre filtre...

I know this isn't a solution for everyone but it does allow you to try out the 6 x 17 proportion for about $20 tops..</b>

• 2 weeks later...

A titan walker XL- ABS plastic..body..superlightweight..can take lenses from 47xl to 180mm..

Art Panorama 617 Back- Can accept lenses from 90-180...

PERFECT..........!!!

I use this combination with 47xl(only for 4x5 and the 6x9 rollfilm holder), 90, 180 , 300Tele lens...

So there we go a 4x5 system with the convinience of shooting 6x17 in 3 different F leghts!!..and with movements.which i find extremely useful!!...

• 2 weeks later...

I have both systems. the fuji is much easier and has shades, focusing screen, and

easy to use filtering due to the 77mm filter sizing on the lenses. The big on eis the

shades. Shading these lenses is very important..

The linhof, (which by the way is the one I use more often) which I have the 72mm and

250mm lenses is a great system but a pain to filter, shade and preview. The 72mm

lense which has a 95mm thread and a center filter that is 95mm - 110mm. NO ONE

makes filters in a 110MM thread. Why would they do this. What I have done is the

following: I have had a special lense shade made for me and being a one off was very

expensive. I also had a step up ring from 110mm to 112mm made to facilitate

112mm filters which are easier to find than 110mm, To filter, I attach the center

filter, then the step up ring, and then a 112mm filter of choice. I primarily only use

enhancing and polarizing filters. 112mm filters are very expensive..

Even if you use the cokin holder, the ring is 112mm or you need the universal which

has 4 pins that screw down to the lense. Don't reccomend the universal due to the

marking up of the lense when putting it on and off.

If you get all this taken care of for the linhof, which by the way fuji has done, I highly

reccomend it.

The two systems are equal... They both shoot fantastic pictures. The fuji has made it

easy by having all the accessories available.

If anyone wants info on the shade or steup ring don't hesitate to contact me.

dmakkos@yahoo.com

• 4 years later...