Best options for storing my photos

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by luciafilley, May 19, 2020.

1. Who cares, we got some miles out of it. You had something better to do?

2. Some few of us still have days jobs...:) Still, taking a break to engage here most always helps reduce my stress.

bgelfand and mikemorrell like this.
  3. Some random thoughts:

Culling is good, in general. However, when I went to digitize my old slide and film images, I was really glad that I had kept what, by visual standards then, were underexposed images. With digital processing, underexposure is usually fixable and you find out why you took the picture in the first place. Also, really gross mistakes are sometimes usable for other purposes (like abstractions :rolleyes:).

I make DVD backups of lots of RAW files, but also keep multiple 5 to 6 TB drives as regular backups as I go. For real security (read, fire,flood, wild animals...) you need to have the main backup off site somehow. Like some others here, I never have used 'cloud' backup. Just too insubstantial for me.

David_Cavan and DavidTriplett like this.
  4. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Thank you - my lack of confidence, and general paranoia, led me to wonder if I was guilty of being a troll by drawing attention to the OP's only visit. I am very glad (and relieved) to learn that that is not the case. Cheers.

mikemorrell likes this.
  6. Now that you mention it, yes, I do.

This past Holiday Season, I built a new computer to replace my over ten-year old i7-870 running Windows 7. I built - I should write over-built - a Ryzen 7 3800X, X570 motherboard based machine with 32 GB of 3200 memory, a so-so Radon 570 graphics board, a place holder 512 GB 970 EVO NVME boot drive (until the Phison E18 and Samsung equivalent controller are released for PCIe 4), a 2 TB HHD for internal backup, a 1 TB SATA 6 SSD for image storage, and installed Windows 10 Professional. I figured that would make a fast and future proof Lightroom/Photoshop machine. I was right - at least about the fast part; I'll have to wait a few years to see about the future proof part. :)

Now, what to do with all that extra processing power? It seems my Nikon D750, my old Canon PowerShot Pro 1, and my phone can take moving pictures, better known as video. I know very little about video and nothing about editing video, other than I need to do it just as I need to process my still images in Lightroom and Photoshop. I looked around and found a free program called DaVinci Resolve from Blackmagic. It comes complete with full documentation and a tutorial, a 400 page PDF tutorial,and lesson media. Talk about jumping into the deep end of the swimming pool... :) All joking aside, Resolve looks to be the video equivalent in complexity of Photoshop for videos. The steep part of the learning curve is learning the vocabulary. Imagine learning Photoshop without knowing what hue and saturation are or for that matter contrast or crop.

The media to be edited as a classroom exercise is a cooking show with two Australian ladies. I am learning not only how to edit; I am also learning to cook Spaghettini with prawns! It looks delicious.

Oh, I also have to learn how to take videos with the D750. My first attempts yesterday show I have much to learn.

Yes, I have at least three better things to do:

1) Learn how to take videos with the D750.
    2) Learn how to edit videos in DaVinci Resolve. After I finish the 400+ page Beginners Guide, there are four more 400+ page books to read and understand - Advanced Editing, Color Correction, Audio Editing, and Special Effects. It should keep me off the streets and out of trouble for a while.
    3) Learn how to cook Spaghettini with prawns.

7. Hi David,

It's unbelievably good to hear that I'm not the only person on the planet who goes through this laborious and very time-consuming process! I would love to have some kind of automated tool/plugin that organises my photos into 'bursts' with one thumbnail per burst. Based on, for example time of capture. I've never really looked into this but I'm not not come across any. Who knows, in the future, AI may even suggest 'the best of the burst', based on a number of criteria. So up until now, I tend to just eyeball the photo thumbnails and rate photos. But 2000-3000 photos are still a heck of a lot of photos to eyeball!

Like me, I guess you might have to deal with 'sub-events'. At some events, I need to to get one good shot of as many attendees as possible during a formal ceremony. At running events (after the first year), I agreed to deliver a limited number of representative, 'good' photo's rather than to deliver at least one photo of at least runner. I don't always have the options but (as an an amateur) I'm trying to improve my sensitivity and confidence to take less photos in certain situations and trust that better ones will come up. And even if I miss a really great shot, to have faith that another will probably appear. But I still take the "OK" and 'good' shots whenever they appear ("a bird in the hand ..."). So I still end up eyeballing for the 'something special shots'.

Good to hear from you!

Mike