best of both worlds

Now that I have been informed thru FB that I want to be using a dedicated film scanner for my 35mm

scans, the ArtixScan 1800f High Resolution Dual Media E.D.I.T. Scanner was recommended because the

Dynamic range is 4.8, as high as the Nikon Coolscan 9000 PLUS I get a flatbed as well. Is this the best of

both worlds?

Teressa, if I understood your previous post correctly you want to scan primarily 35mm - if that is the case you can get a rather inexpensive Minolta dedicated film scanner on eBay - you can even get a Dual scan which will scan both 35mm and 120 film for about $600. That is a way better solution than ANY flatbed scanner. The Microtek scanners are great - BUT mostly for Large Format scanning. The other thing is that resolution numbers from flatbed manufacturers cannot be trusted - they are always inflated and so is the dynamic range. Seriously, give up on flatbed and get a dedicated film scanner. Good Luck!

<p>Teressa,</p>

<p><i>"Scanner was recommended because the Dynamic range is 4.8, as high as the Nikon Coolscan 9000 PLUS I get a flatbed as well."</p></i>

<p>The number you're quoting is the <i>claimed/calculated <b>Dmax</b></i>, not the dynamic range. In any case, that number is pure marketing fiction, as are the numbers quoted by Nikon and most other scanner manufacturers. You might want to check <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Ja5S">this thread</a> and read my comments on this issue, as well as those of several others. I'd also recommend the link I mention in that thread to <a href="http://www.scantips.com/basics14.html">this section</a> of Wayne Fulton's excellent Scantips site. As recommended in the other thread, read the linked page and the following one.</p>

<p>The bottom line is, don't rely too much (much at all, really) on scanner manufacturers' Dmax numbers. They're virtually meaningless in either an absolute or a comparative sense.</p>

<p>Scott</p>