best Nikon lens for dusty conditions

jaminson_moses

I recently purchased a D1X and within a week I had the CCD covered in dust

I have already had it cleaned twice by Nikon in Torrance ( by the way they are

very good about it they cleaned it while I waited and they did not charge me a

penny). They told me it was my lenses I was using 28-80 f/3.5-5.6D- I can

understand why dust could get in though that, and I also have a 70-300 f/4-5.6

D a little better lens but still not so hot when it comes to dust control.

So I am wondering if anyone could tell me of a good semi dust proof zoom

lens I could get.

I am getting crazy not being able to use my new camera, It is so far the best

camera I have ever used but also the worst because of the dust issue-

sometimes I kinda feel like I should go back to shooting slide film, it's easier to

clean the dust off.

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

May I ask why you're using those lenses on that body? It's a lot more important to have good lenses than it is to have a fancy body (unless you're always stopped down). I would suggest prime lenses if you cannot afford higher quality zooms. Most are better sealed than the cheap lenses you're using now.

If you simply posess a D1X (or D1H for that matter) they will collect dust on the CCD. Changing lenses is the likely culprit, and the easiest solution is to learn how to clean the CCD yourself. A can of air with the trigger VERY LIGHTLY squeezed with the little plastic hose attatched will provide the perfect ammount of air pressure to knock the dust off. I hold the camera with the mount facing the ground and shutter open and bend the little canned air hose upward. Don't try this if you are afraid of damaging the CCD. (too much air can wrinkle the protective film on top of the sensor.)

Look for a lens with either internal or rear focusing like my 85mm or 180mm Nikkors. A lens with that type of focusing will not suck any air or dust into the camera. Some Pro Canon lens are equiped with a rubber gasket to help prevent this problem and resist moisture (Nikon are you listening).

I have the "same" problem and think everybody has the same problem but for my luck I have no digital camera so the dust goes to the mirror and the only problem is that in the viewfinder I see some tiny particles on the frame - nothing to worry about. I have two prime lenses(28 and 50) and the 70-300 you have - changing them made me collect some dust in the mirror. They too colect some particles in the rear element - this is a thing people told me not to worry about - so I think buying primes is not the answer. I see some many people with this problem that makes me think how hard would be living with this if I have made the decision to go digital (I bought a F100 recently). Try to email Nikon and ask for some "advices", I think this is not the lens you have, buying a 80-200 or a U$ 2000,00 lens will not make this problem disapear because the world you live makes impossible to not colect dust in the ccd. I read some foruns that people have the best lenses and have the same problem so I think it is not your lens. Nikon is wrong telling that for you in my opinion!

• 2 months later...