Best mode for fast paced action photos on a Canon 20D?

cotsen

I'm new to photography, and I'm trying to figure out the best shooting mode

with a Canon 20D, using a 100-400mm lens while shooting fast paced surfing

shots. Any help on the best mode to use would be much appreciated.

Cullen

Roger Smith,"Shutter priority, drive mode, custom function to separate ae and af."

Ditto. The custom function is CFn-04 set to 1. With that setting, pressing the "*" button starts the AF and IS and pressing the shutter halfway sets the auto-exposure.

My starting point would be AF-Servo and experiment with using just the center AF point or all points. I usually use all points, and start by placing the center AF point on the subject and pressing/holding the "*" button then shoot a number of shots without releasing the "*" button. With very busy backgrounds sometimes it's better to use just the center AF point.

Shoot bursts of at least 2 frames. In AF-servo and continuous shooting mode the Canon algorithm is to take the first frame as soon as the shutter release is pressed, and the subsequent frames when the focus is good. Also, one shot from a burst will be often be much sharper than the others.

Similarly, I'd experiment with IS mode 1 and 2. If you're not panning fast, I've had good luck keeping mode 1 (horiz and vert stabilization), but if you're really panning fast you may need to switch to mode 2 (vert-only stabilization).

If you're trying to freeze the action with the highest shutter-speed possible, you might try Av mode and set the lens to widest aperture that will give you the desired sharpness and/or DOF. Adjust the ISO to get the shutter-speed into the range you want. In that mode, you'll always get the fastest shutter-speed possible.

Alternatively, if you're trying for motion-blurred effects, you might switch to Av and set the shutter-speed to whatever (slow) setting gives you the desired blurring.

Check the histogram of a couple of shots from each pass and adjust the exposure compensation to avoid blown highlights.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

For fast action I always pick either M or Av, and not Tv. The reason for avoiding Tv is that if the light gets dimmer you can easily find a blinking aperture in your viewfinder and no shots. Sport action is usually best shot wide open to draw attention to the subject and to maximise the shutter speed and minimise the required ISO. In constant light, M works well and minimises the calculation done by the camera, and therefore shutter lag is reduced, and there is no risk of key action being missed.

Surfing can be demanding to shoot even in Av or M mode, since I consider the best shots use very fast shutter speeds (1/3000th or faster) to freeze the spray, so you can sometimes be riding ISO. It's certainly a case for an ISO safety shift in M mode.

So If I want to freeze the action, What is the best shutter speed to set it on? I also noticed when set to Tv, the lighting can be bad.

Manual seems to be working the best right now. I just need advice, on shutter speed adjustments...

You say you want to freeze motion, it sort of depends what you are shooting. So, What are you shooting? Where are you shooting (indoors or outdoors)?

1/2000-1/4000 will freeze water droplets. Though, depending on lighting conditions this may not be possible.

I think using Av mode, and setting the lowest aperture, would be safer. First, the camera will determine shutter speed. You may need to adjust you ISO, to get a faster shutter, depending on the lighting.

Amol

I shoot most sports wide open(AV/burst/AI Servo) to get the fastest shutter speed. Under very high contrast conditions or if the uniforms have a lot of color variations, I review the histogram and the picture and usually end up overexposing a little or go manual.I expose for the average skin tone. This has worked for me almost always.