Best mirrorless hybrid?

russo333

What should I get as the best mirrorless hybrid:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get as the best mirrorless hybrid:

• Sony A7 III + 24-105 mm F4 G OSS for 2600 € (due to Sony winter cashback)
    • Nikon Z6 II + 24-70 mm f4 kit + FTZ adapter for 3050 €
    • Canon EOS R6 + 24-105 mm kit for 3300 €

Not sure of the term "mirrorless hybrid". It depends on what you have now and how much money you can spend. My current thinking is that digital cameras have a limited life, will become partially or completely inoperable shortly after the warranty expires and not be worth repairing.
  • Like 3

These are all good cameras. All can help you get good results. If there’s some reason to go with a particular brand (e.g. you already have good Nikon or Canon glass and flashes), stick with that

Otherwise, I’m recommending the Nikon because when you say “hybrid” to me that means you shoot both photo and video, and from what I’ve seen the Nikon has the best color in video of the three. It’s also better at stabilizing than the Sony (which is most people’s default these days) and has much better weather sealing.

• Like 1

What do you mean by "hybrid"? - To me that would be a makeshift MILC, like the more recent Leica Ms that could be used with an optional EVF.

Does your decision include video?

The Nikon kit you are listing includes an F mount adapter... So I assume you have f-mount glass and get along with Nikon UIs? - If that is the case, you should come up with a good reason to lust after one of the other options.

I here would be Canon leaning due to an SLR + lens I already own and a mild aversion against Nikon menu systems. I know close to nothing about Sony. Their AF has a great reputation for stills, Canon's seems coming close and got praised to be better suited for video?

I really can't claim to be better than you in digesting Youtube reviews. All I got out of them is that Canon should now be good enough to use, but I didn't even look close at the R6.

The tech influencers crowd seems moving away from Sony?

• Like 1

I assume you are interested in only 24x36mm sensors. Which is fair enough. Sometimes the bigger sensors can yield a smaller kit, depending on what lenses and bodies you want.

Anyway, I chose the Sony. Personally I'd consider the Panasonic S5, unless you wanted really really good AF. I am not the kind of person that needs PDAF or eye tracking so I would put the S5 on par with the Sony overall.

I must also admit that I do not like a single digital camera that Canon makes, even though their AF is second best in the market. Their 35mm cameras are awesome (I have an F-1 and a P and I am considering an EOS 5 for the future), but their digital cameras are not good enough. Especially their DSLRs (for goodness sakes just get a Nikon D5).

I use APS-C and Micro 4/3 cameras these days, FWIW. If I could choose any camera I wanted, it would probably be Micro 4/3... or Fujifilm. The Hasselblad 907X is kind of cool, too. ;-) My needs are different than yours, probably.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies so far! I really appreciate it!

Yes, by hybrid I mean the one that is great for photo + video. I am not a pro and I shoot as a hobby.

I am switching from an old simple Nikon D3300. I do have some basic DX Nikon lenses, but I am planning to give away or sell that set. Meaning I won’t have any lenses, so it will be a fresh start. Therefore I need to choose a cam with a decent versatile lens, as I won’t be getting new lenses for a while.

I’ve been wanting the Sony A7iii for a looong time and I even had it already reserved in one shop. However, then I started researching and found out that it is not the champ anymore in that price range, as it was released already over 2 years ago comparing to the rest.

I really like the Nikon and its features and most likely I would go with that as they even promise 4k60p later on with a firmware upgrade. My biggest concern perhaps is the kit lens 24-70 mm f4, just because it is a “kit lens”. So, would it be a better deal with the Sony a7iii + a very good (according to reviews) 24-105 F4 G OSS lens + save 400 € by cashback from Sony?

PS I know Sony A7iv will be coming out next year, but the rumors say it will be 25% more expensive and I really just can’t wait any longer :D

• Like 1

Sony has the most lenses for FF mirrorless at present. Canon and Nikon are catching up. Probably will be there in 2 years. If the future follows the past Canon ultimately may draw ahead as their pricing is usually better, but not much sign of this right now. I too would look at m43 Panasonic or Olympus: much more fun.
  • Like 1
Robin Smith

I have two A7iii cameras, which I use exclusively for video. The results are nearly as good as from a Sony FS5 cinematic camera, and it is easy to match colors between cameras. The A7iii is also a lot smaller and lighter than a rigged out FS5. One A7iii is built-up with a cage for long lenses and motorized control. The other is bare, with a separate rig for battery support, which goes between the tripod and camera with Arca type plates and clamps. I rarely use internal storage. An external monitor/recorder (e.g.,Atomos Ninja V) gives much better results and is limited only by the capacity of its SSD. There is no overheating when you use an external battery and recorder (once only, indoors at 93 deg F, after 2 hours, with the temperature setting on normal).

The Sony A7iii is showing its age, but is definitely a good performer for both stills and video. Both 4K and 1080 video are resampled, which virtually eliminates aliasing. Phase detection AF is active in video mode, along with face/eye recognition and touch screen target designation. Auto exposure options include face priority. You can get good face exposure in situations where the background would otherwise spoil the shot. Sony has log gamma options which make it nearly impossible to overexpose video. On the down side, Sony A7 video is only 8 bit, which limits your ability to use log gamma settings. For tax reasons, you are limited to 29 minute continuous shooting when recording internally.

This limitation changed with the A7Siii, with 10 bit video and 12 bit RAW. This gives you cinematic quality at half the price of an FS5 (S-35) or FX6 (FF), but twice the price of the A7iii.

From a system point of view, there are over 80 native lenses for the Sony, more than Canon and Nikon combined. Most of Canon and Nikon offerings are legacy lenses, designed for DSLR cameras.

• Like 2

Yes, by hybrid I mean the one that is great for photo + video. I am not a pro and I shoot as a hobby.

I am switching from an old simple Nikon D3300. I do have some basic DX Nikon lenses, but I am planning to give away or sell that set. Meaning I won’t have any lenses, so it will be a fresh start. Therefore I need to choose a cam with a decent versatile lens, as I won’t be getting new lenses for a while.

I’ve been wanting the Sony A7iii for a looong time and I even had it already reserved in one shop. However, then I started researching and found out that it is not the champ anymore in that price range, as it was released already over 2 years ago comparing to the rest.

I really like the Nikon and its features and most likely I would go with that as they even promise 4k60p later on with a firmware upgrade. My biggest concern perhaps is the kit lens 24-70 mm f4, just because it is a “kit lens”. So, would it be a better deal with the Sony a7iii + a very good (according to reviews) 24-105 F4 G OSS lens + save 400 € by cashback from Sony?

PS I know Sony A7iv will be coming out next year, but the rumors say it will be 25% more expensive and I really just can’t wait any longer :D

Don't be scared away by the "kit lens" designation. It's an excellent lens. Super sharp, quick to focus, weather sealed.

• Like 1

Sony is likely to come out with an A7iv in the near future. When that occurs, there will be serious bargains on the older model. You can decide whether the new features are worth full price, or if saving several hundred dollars will get the job done. At very least there will be a lot of lightly used trade-ins to choose from. Pros don't trade for features, they wait until pushed by their competition.

I mention Sony because I'm invested in the line, but all the camera companies do the same thing. The good stuff gets picked over quidkly, so be prepared to jump if it suits you.

. . . I am switching from an old simple Nikon D3300. I do have some basic DX Nikon lenses, but I am planning to give away or sell that set. Meaning I won’t have any lenses, so it will be a fresh start. Therefore I need to choose a cam with a decent versatile lens, as I won’t be getting new lenses for a while. . . .

On that criterion, I would rule out the Nikon kit: 24 to 105 is much more versatile than 24 to 70.

WW

It is always difficult to try and stay on the "cutting edge". You will always be behind the curve no matter what choice you make. Personally, I had a good selection of lenses from my 35mm film cameras and so I made the decision based on how I could continue to benefit from that investment rather than starting from scratch. If you have some really good vintage glass, it would be really expensive to replace all of that with modern versions...and in many cases you end up with lenses made of plastic in exchange for your all metal vintage ones.

Modern mirrorless cameras have the advantage of being able to use some fantastic old glass... for still and video.

You have some DX lenses. Whatever system you choose, I would keep them. They are probably going to be better than your kit lens and it gives you some choice right away.

Just pick one and go for it or else you will be watching and waiting forever instead of taking pictures.

when you use the viewfinder it's an SLR.

It's not.

SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. The 'reflex' bit indicates use of a mirror to reflect the image up to a viewing screen. No mirror, no reflex.

I've got an old Nikon Coolpix P6000 that has a direct-vision optical viewfinder as well as a rear LCD screen. Now that's what I'd class as 'hybrid'.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Thank you all for your help!!!

My decision was made and I ordered Nikon Z6 II + Z NIKKOR 24-200MM F4-6.3 VR. I managed to find a great deal - 2.799 € (online store in EU). Planning to get Nikkor Z 50mm F1.8 S for it sometime close in the future.

I would have gone for Sony a7iii if I was buying a cam 3 months ago, but right now seems that Nikon Z6 ii took the lead in all aspects.

To note, Canon EOS R6 is in fact even better, but with equal decent glass, it would be way more expensive.

Edited by russo333
  • Like 2

It's not.

SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. The 'reflex' bit indicates use of a mirror to reflect the image up to a viewing screen. No mirror, no reflex.

I've got an old Nikon Coolpix P6000 that has a direct-vision optical viewfinder as well as a rear LCD screen. Now that's what I'd class as 'hybrid'.

Didn't I say a DSLR? and an DSLR isn't an SLR? But a typical DSLR can be used in live view makes it a mirrorless and thus it's a hybrid mirrorless.

My decision was made and I ordered Nikon Z6 II + Z NIKKOR 24-200MM F4-6.3 VR. I managed to find a great deal - 2.799 € (online store in EU). Planning to get Nikkor Z 50mm F1.8 S for it sometime close in the future.

Good choice! Congratulations. Have fun.

• Like 1
Niels

I would have gone for Sony a7iii if I was buying a cam 3 months ago, but right now seems that Nikon Z6 ii took the lead in all aspects.

To note, Canon EOS R6 is in fact even better, but with equal decent glass, it would be way more expensive.

I haven't tried the 24-200 but I've read only good things. Sounds like a solid upgrade over your current kit.

• Like 1