Best material for black backdrops

<p>What is the best material for getting the "balckest" backdrops?</p>

<p>I've read that velvet or felt are good. I also understand that some materials are specifically made to scatter light more efficiently than others, allowing the photographer to place the subject closer to the backdrop.</p>

<p>However, I have little experince and would like to get opinions from people who have first hand knowledge.</p>

<p>Although, I am not going to photograph flowers, I have attached an image below - not mine - that hopefully illustrates the effect I'm looking for.</p>

<p>The image to which you link is quite highly processed after the fact, just so you know.<br /><br />Regardless: velvet can do a very nice job, but it's pretty expensive, and can actually be rather treacherous when it comes to glancing light - because it does have a texture to it. Black seamless paper is also very effective, if you can exercise some control over your light sources through flagging, barn doors, etc. Felt is usually a mix of fibers, and some can act like tiny little fiber optics, catching light and glowing. Fine at a distance, but too much texture for up close, I find.<br /><br />This usually has far more to do with controlling the light and the distance between the subject and background that it does with finding a material that will drink all of the light that hits it.</p>

<p>The blackest material is high quality velvet. But it's expensive, I paid about US$60 a yard for mine!</p>

<p>And even this deep matte fabric has a "shiny" direction and a "dull" direction depending on the lay of the nap.</p>

<p>You say you're not shooting flowers, what are you shooting? Headshots against a black background are often not very effective because the subject's hair blends into the b/g too well.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>I think the piece I got was 6 ft wide. And because it's so dark, it would be worth trying to sew to pieces together, I suspect the seam would disappear into the shadows if you're at a distance great enough to need a 10x20 ft backdrop.</p>

<p>Fabric from the fabric store typically comes "bolt width" which varies from maker to maker but is generally about 56" wide. Since you get two selvage edges, it's not hard to sew two pieces together to make ~9ft wide, by however many feet long you want.</p>

<p>For something 10 ft by 20 ft, I would buy a premade muslin backdrop or use seamless paper. It's not as black as other fabrics can be but is tons cheaper. For heavy weight velvet in that size you'd be looking at ~$800-1000 in fabric. Not practical.</p>

<p>But if you are looking for something that big, it implies you have the room to move the subject away from the b/g and therefore control the amount of light falling on the b/g. Which means you don't really need a "dead black" b/g and that paper should work for you.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>Try Chicago Canvas (www.chicagocanvas.com). What you want is their Commando Cloth. It's maybe not as black as high-grade velvet will be, but it's quite good--and very reasonably priced. I'm sure they'll sew you as wide a piece as you want for probably minimal cost.<br>

I bought a good-size swatch of this last time I was home (was delivered within two days), and hauled it back to London with me, where I use it quite often. Excellent stuff for the purpose!</p>

<p>While you can get a pure black with almost any material if you light it just right, I would not use black seemless. It may help you to rule this out.<br>

I bought some and tried it and it was hard (but not impossible) to get a pure black, because the paper I used will catch sheen (particularly anywhere were it's not flat to the flim plane.. This too, can be used to a creative effect, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.</p>

• 3 months later...