best masking software

<p>I do a lot of compositing work and use a lot of masks to extract people for example. I use photoshop CC and I find the quick selection tool helpful, i also occasionally use the pen tool and lasso tools. I then often use the refine mask tool to work on creating a better mask. I know there is software out there that focuses on creating masks. Are there any better than what is available in photoshop?</p>

<p>thanks everyone...i downloaded Vertus, Line and need to get familiar with that software...i looked into Perfect Studio and Topaz Remask...i think the Topaz software looks interesting as I've used Topaz products before...not so familiar with Perfect Studio...Robbi, my early experience making masks are with color channels and I occasionally use them with selections tools while I'm making masks...Katrin Eismann used channels masks quite a bit in her first version of Masking and Compositing...i think she still uses them but the newer tools such as quick selection and refine mask have taken away "some" needs to use channel masks...i use them together though...i guess I'm just trying to find out if there are better software programs for making masks other photoshop's current version CC...thanks for everyone's input so far...</p>

<p>I agree with Robbi that there is more to learn within PS first before looking for another program. Color Range, for example, is something that you did not mentioned. It doesn't work in all situations, but is perfectly designed for some. Lynda.com is full of instructional videos on masking in PS. I think a months subscription is $25. You would get more out of that $25 then to spend it on software. I watched one of their videos on masking hair which was really interesting.</p>