Best Macro Lens for Nikon D50

rick_van_schoick

I agree with Yaron, and in fact, I've just today decided to sell a brand-new Tamron 90mm

Di Macro. You'll probably ask why I'm selling if I agree that it's the best choice (am I

nuts?). It's because after my previous version was stolen in Italy last year and replaced

with this one by my insurance company, I just found that I don't do much close-up

photography any more. So here this one sits, having never been mounted. It was only

taken out of the leather pouch to put on a B+W 010 UV/Haze filter (which will be

included). The hood is even still in the plastic wrap.

If you are interested, shoot me an email. I plan to list it next week.

If it's inappropriate to mention this here, apologies and please remove the post.

Rick: You might want to take a look at the Nikon 28-105mm AFD. It has a fairly useful macro feature, that's especially good for the occasional macro shooter. Of course it won't be as good as the lenses dedicated for that, but for about $150 used, I think it's pretty darn good. Plus, it's a nice general lens to have anyway -- sharp and light. I think others here might agree.

Vivek, I had the 60/2.8, and I actually liked the 55/2.8 AIS version much better... The 60 is nice up close, but it is so-so at infinity. The 90 does it better by giving you more working space, and probably the best "bokeh" (gosh, I HATE this word), of all Nikkor macro lenses.... No fondle value though- it's all plastic and glass (+ metal mount), but boy does it deliver the goods.

It may be out of your price range, but who knows but you.

Check out the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 micro VR.

It's new and not easy to find, but with VR it's an outstnding lens.

It's also professional quality, so if/when you upgrade your camera this lens will still be the best.

Greg

My favorite macro on the DSLR is 55/60mm range. While the 105mm is my #1 choice on a

film body, I just find it too tight most of the time. The 55mm is easy too hand-hold, well-

balanced on the camera, and not too obtrusive. You might look into a used Nikkor 60mm

f2.8 AF. They are very affordable on the used market. I would encourage you not to look at

zooms that tout a macro feature; even the best of them will disappoint you after you use a

true macro lens. Good luck.

The best Macro lens is the 105mm Micro Nikkor.

The 60mm macro is very good but it has its limitations.

In the macro field, you can never have a too long a lens. The 200mm macro is very very good but too expensive.

The next best thing is the SIGMA 105mm EX DG macro lens.(about 200$ cheaper than Nikon but equally good!! )

I use that one and its as sharp as any Nikon or canon macro lens. Check out my photos to see what it can do.

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. I have a related question: If the 105 mm lens is for microphotography, then the 70-300 mm telephoto lens I am planning on buying should take the same picture as the 105 since 105 is in the range of the telephoto lens. Right? Something tells me that's not the case but I don't understand why. Thanks. Rick.

Yaron,

I noticed you mention that you preffered the 55mm 2.8 over 60mm 2.8. This is first time for me, I was at one time considering to upgrade to 60mm 2.8 from my current 55mm 2.8 for my D70s. Although I did not go ahead with the upgrade yet but I am very curious to find out from you the reason you say this. Could you please elaborate for me?

Thanks

Yes...a 105 macro is very well suited for macro works and it also doubles as a mid-telephoto lens. On your D50 it becomes a 159mm f/2.8 lens!

isnt that wonderful ? you can use it successfully for portraits as well. And the pics are going to be super sharp!

get a macro forget the 70-300. save up and get the 80-200 2.8 instead in the future.