wondering what would be the best seats from a photography

persepctive. I would appreciate if anyone has been there and can

share their opinion in this matter. I was looking at the prices and

there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between different

locations.

Thanks,

Himanshu

HI,

I've been to the last 4 USGP's and the best bang for your buck tickets are the 3 day general admission tickets. They aren't listed as an option on the website but they are available at the track for $60. And for $60 you get all 3 days of track activity. (pratice, quals, and race) You aren't assigned seats for the race but you do have plenty of options. You can choose from any of the viewing mounds around the track. (best to get there early they fill up quick) and you also get the choice of sitting on the front stretch. For the quals and practice you can go anywhere I sat directly across from the pits last year but anywhere is open game. And during the race you can move about rather freely. So options of angles and shots are limitless. I'm not sure why they don't promote the general admission tickets more they are a great bargain. Because if you don't have them you have to purchase tickets for all 3 days of events seperate which by the time you figure it out you only end up paying $30 for your race tickets with the general admission and I believe the next cheapest RACE day tickets start at $80? Well thats my 2 cents for what it's worth hope it helped.<div>00FzWS-29343484.thumb.jpg.b7a16ed477b05a810977d0773a88c9d3.jpg</div>

Even though only 150,000 will attend, most likely the best seats are gone through the Speedway; though ticket brokers will have them.

The only real place where passing occurs is in the first turn off the front straightaway. Our seats are on top of the Paddock (Paddock Penthouse), about Aisle 10. This is close to the suites on top of Grandstand C. Also, the Northwest Vista is excellent, as you can see the front straight action all the way through to about T6.

Our first year, I incorrectly chose South Vista at the top, which, although giving us a nice view from T8 through the "real" turn 1, the bridge conveniently blocked the view of Hulman Blvd.

If you're a Ferari fan, then the upper deck of Grandstand B is where you want to go, as that's where the tiffosi hang out.

[by the way, my first Indy 500 was in 1967, when I was 6-1/2; and except for 68, I've been to every one since, as well as the firstr 3 USGP's and all 12 Brickyard 400's. Our 500 seats have been in the Paddock at S/F since 1970; and Brickyard seats are in the Paddock Penthouse, Aisle 44, about 200 yards north of S/F.]

By the way, if you've never been to The Speedway, make sure you spend a couple hours in the museum, including the photo gallery on the second floor (via elevator only). Also, take some time and walk around, as the place is massive.

Also, take a look at the RaceFax 2003 Indy 500 Race Report, where I have all the photo credits. It's mirrored on my web site at:

http://users.snip.net/~joe/03indy.pdf

And also, do indeed sign up for a free trial subscription of RaceFax, as you'll get access to the archives:

http://www.RaceFax.com

And Yes, this was the publication that rocked the racing world in February when they published The Concorde! :)<div>00FzXa-29343584.thumb.jpg.ee4dd8ae07046f1f288b92d3775f8c87.jpg</div>

Geoff, those are about the worst seats in the house, in front of the south end of the Media Center. Even for the 500 & Brickyard, where there are pits in front of you, you can't see the action because of the War Wagons and crew; and for the USGP the pits end on the other (south) side of The Pagoda.

Thanks for your comments guys. I did a lot of search on the internet as well about seating options and I am overwhelmed right now. I am inclined towards taking the general admission tickets if not for the price or anything else then atleast for the fact that I will not be sitting in one seat the whole time and I can move around more freely. I did find them on some website though they were $72 (not too much more than $60 so I might just get it from the website). Another reason would be, rather than getting a good overall view of the race I would be more interested in different types of photo opportunities, which would be more infield I believe.

Dan, you sure have spent a lot of time in the Speedway! I will try to have enough time at hand to go to the museum and the photo gallery.

Let's see, I am really excited about this.

Thanks,

Himanshu

Himanshu, you'll see that Indy is one of the worst places to watch a race, since the infield is built up and you can't see more than about 3/8th of the track, no matter where you sit... And, even if you can see certain action, it may be over 1/4 mile away.

Back in 1971, the red Dodge convertible pace car, driven by Mr. Palmer of Palmer Dodge, either missed his braking point or had brake failure (two different stories) when he pulled into the pit lane as the field flew by when Pat Vidan threw the green flag.

Palmer had a choice: Exit the pits and cause a huge pileup of Offenhauser-powered cars at the entrance of turn 1; or turn left into a photographer's stand at the pit exit.

He turned left.

My father's Agfa 35mm rangefinder was loaded with Kodachrome, and he shot, even though the action was maybe 1/4 mile away.

A few days later, when we got back home, we got the slides back. I remember, even at just 10-1/2 years old, playing with the Hell & Bowel projector, trying to blow up what we saw with our own eyes...

And all that was on the white dining room wall was a small whiff of smoke.

That November (1971), all three of us went to the Ritz Camera (still there!), and my father tried several different SLR's, eventually settling on a Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL & 50mm lens, a Soligor 200mm telephoto, and a 2X tele-extender, of which the body and tele-extender are in my closet.

--------------

One of the biggest problems with the USGP is getting media/photo credentials: The FIA, not the Speedway's PR machine, gives them out for this event only. For the 500, they will give photo or media credentials to almost any publication, as they are set up to literally "cradle" the members of the press.

For the USGP, as I understand it, the Speedway is limited to 12 each radio, photo and print credentials, despite TG's begging to turn his PR wonk Fred Nation loose. Fred once told me that they issue about 1800 for the Brickyard 400, with 4 from overseas; about 1700 for the 500, with about 300 foreign; and also about 1700 total for USGP; with all but a few issued by the BernieMax show (FIA)... With the local "jock broadcasters" cut out of the loop.

• 2 weeks later...
I would just get the General Admission ticket like others have suggested... It is not that bad of a t to track shoot, yea you can't see that much of the course from one place, but it is not bad at all compared to most road courses.... but it is just about impossible to get a press credentials for the race unless you already have them or have the right connections. Just expect to need lenses on long side.... but that you probably already knew. One trick might to be to see if you can get on the staff a team that is racing in one of the support races... if you can you might be able to get the pass you need to get close to the action. Might position yourself in a way to offer free services for that team for the race (Formula BMW or Ferrari Challenge teams are your best bet.. GP2 teams are probably not going to even talk to you)..... or whatever you can workout... just be careful if you want to sell the pics for something other then for editorial use.... the FIA and FOM can be brutal if they don't like you....

I finally got the general admission tickets for $60. That will allow me access to most stands on Friday and Saturday I believe and the Infield on Sunday, the race day. So among the three days I will probably get a chance to shoot from many different positions, and hopefully something will turn out good.

I do have a telephoto, not too long though. It's a 70-300 zoom but on a 20D, I will get 480mm so that should be enough I guess. I will also take the 50/1.8 for some normal shots. I haven't seen photographers shooting much wide angle shots in racing events, so I will probably not take any wide angle lens with me.

I don't think I will be able to manage access to any of the privileged areas, so I will have to make the best out of what I get.

Thanks all for the responses.

Himanshu