Best lens for low light interiors

sukumaran_r

What would be the best available Nikon lens in the market(for use on a D2H DSLR

without Flash) and suitable for low light interior photography for portrait and

group photographs. Any advice from experienced friends in the forum would be

appreciated.

I second Eric's suggestion: the 17-55 might not be the fastest lens, but it is certainly the most flexible you can have on your DSLR at an event.

Of course, if you know that you have the time to swap lenses, then there are a bunch of faster primes to choose from. It depends on how cramped/large are the settings.

Roberto

the sigma is a nice lens, but my personal experience in relation to the auto focus is rather

negative, i aimed at the same target, and 3 out of 5 times, the distance registered will be

different, maybe sigma has got the glass compartment right, but the electronics not so. it

seems nikon has kept some secrets to its own. Manual focus with sigma is fine, and it feels

better than those plastic nikon AF lens.

These are all good suggestions, but with a group of 5-8 people, I'd be concerned with depth of field and getting everyone in focus. If you don't already have a good flash, I'd consider spending the money on one. An SB-800 costs less than most of the lenses suggested. When bounced off the ceiling with a little bounce card showing it will do a good job of even lighting. Coupled with a tripod, and dragging the shutter a little to let in the ambient light. It may be a good solution. Plus it adds value to all the lenses you already have. If you switch later to a camera with CLS, it is very useful off camera. Add a light stand with umbrella and you have a cheap portable studio for small groups.

Have a look at the Sigma 18-50 EX DG 2.8.

This is my main shooting lens. It is great for groups and extends to a decent portrait @ 50mm (equiv to 80mm on a 35mm).

Excellent quality, with only minor CA wide open at the short end.

Pretty goot value for money as well.

James