best lens for group shot inside the church on weddings

arthur_bunda1

Arthur, I assume you are shooting with film, or a full-frame DSLR so there's no crop to factor in.

Will you be doing this type of shooting a lot? I ask because the 35mm f1.4 is much more expensive than your other two condenders, and wouldn't be worth the price for occasional use. If you decide 35mm is the best focal length, the EF 35mm f2 is an excellent lens, at a fraction the cost of the 35mm f1.4.

I believe you could buy mint/used copies of the 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, AND 50mm f1.4, or a mint/used EF 17-35mm f2.8L zoom, for the cost of a 35mm f1.4.

I own the 24mm f2.8 and the 50mm f1.4, and both are very sharp and sufficiently fast for your purpose. From shooting eight weddings, I would recommend the 24mm f2.8, because it will accommodate larger groups or cramped quarters better than the other two. You can always move in closer to frame a shot, but you can't get farther away if your back is (literally) against the wall.

It would certainly depend on the amount of room you have. Sometimes only the wider lens will do. But the problem with shooting a group with a 24mm lens is that the people on the edges will get that "elongated head" look. It's not really distortion, but it does look odd. For this reason I think the effect with the 35mm lens is better for group portraits.

And I agree, Canon's 35mm f/2 is a very good lens.

For a DLSR with a crop factor, you have to use something wider. With a 10D the 24mm looks about like the 35mm on a film SLR.

Arthur - why not buy a simple protractor marked out in degrees, and go and visit some of the churches you expect to shoot in. Stand where you would to take your group shots, and visualise where the group would be. Use the protractor to estimate the angle of view you need, and go from there.