Best Lens for College Football Game?

randleman

<p>All,</p>

<p>I am attending the upcoming NCAA FCS championship game (formally I-AA) and will be able to get on the sidelines for photo-ops. I am wondering what lens/lenses I need to cover the game the best.</p>

<p>It is mid-day - so lighting will not be a problem (probably too much rather than too little). I wn a nikkor 70-200mm f2/8 lens, so that woill be easy to use. But, I'm wondering if I should rent a lens for this important even, and if so, which one?<br>

Options as I see them:<br>

300mm<br>

400mm<br>

200-400mm</p>

<p>I want quality over quantity, and would rather get fewer, sharper shots than more slightly fuzzier ones. These would all need to be rented, and there are various options potentially for hat in terms of max aperture settings.</p>

<p>Any recommendations would be most appreciated!<br>

Thanks,<br>

Brad</p>

<p>I'd go with the 200-400 to give you a wider range of focal lengths to use, and consequently, more keepers from different parts of the field. I assume you have a monopod, right? Should also bring the 70-200 or another 'short' lens to get candids after the game...or another body with that kind of lens. </p>

<p>I wouldn't suggest holding a 200-400mm with your neck. I use my arms and hands.<br>

I may be a matter of personal strength, but I increased my keeper ratio by shooting my 500mm f/4 hand held. Following my lead, I know of two women now that hand hold their 500s, even with a 1.4x TC. I'd suggest trying it. If the weight is too much, then use a monopod.</p>

<p>Ideally the 200-400 <em>on a monopod </em>on a crop body and the 70-200/2.8 on a second body preferably full frame (or crop). I would manage the game by shooting for a duration with the big zoom and then shooting a duration with the small zoom and alternating. Something like half a quarter with each, or select depending on your field position and the position of play. Unfortunately the best lens for these purposes is a 50-600mm f2.8 lens on full frame, but it does not exist. Have fun!</p>

<p>hanks for all the responses! Now a new wrinkle - the local store does not carry the 200-400mm for rental :(</p>

<p>ONly the 300mm fixed or 400mm fixed. I could order online, but with my travel I can rent from my local store for the weekend rate of only 1 day, so that is by far the set deal, unless I'm losing too much with not having the 200-400mm lens.</p>

<p>My thought is to get the 300mm instead of the 400mm under these circumstances -have that on one camera body and the 70-200mm on the other (both cropped sensors).</p>

<p>Thoughts?<br>

Thanks again,<br>

Brad</p>

<p>Yep, 300mm f2.8 + 1.4TC on cropped sensor works for day game with resulting max aperture of f4.  With this combo, you'll be able to move up and down the field a lot faster than with a 400 f2.8 and when light level goes down, you can remove the TC and be at f2.8 again, quite versatile for your situation.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>200-400mm should get you across the field without difficulty, though shooting end zone to end zone will require more reach. Fwiw I use, and love the Canon 70-200 2.8. I'm allowed to roam the sideline and change position as needed, and the 70-200 gives me great sharpness/contrasts and allows me to zoom all they way back if the action gets close to me. There are many times I wish I had more reach, but I can't beat the price, performance and flexibility.</p>