I just moved to a new townhouse in the relatively humid Washington,

D.C. area. My digital darkroom and general camera storage area will

be in the basement. My film will continue to be stored in the

refrigerator/freezer.

I've purchased a dehumidifyer to dry the basement air and a

barometer to monitor relative humidity. Except for already knowing

that a moist environment is not the best place to store camera gear,

etc., I don't know what would be a good relative humidity level for

camera gear and photographic material storage.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the preferred relative humidity

level for camera equipment, negative, transparency, and traditional

and non-traditional print storage? 0%, 10%, 25% 50%, etc.?

Thanks!

--Randall

Keep it Low. Use some form of hydrosorbent (Silica Gel) packs that can be reused/recharged/reactivated (the crystals change color when they need to be reactivated.)

The normal comfort range of relative humidity for humans is between 30 percent and 70 percent.

I would think 35 to 45 would be ok for gear (check your specs for the ideal operating range/environment for your gear and half it for storage.) (i.e.) For a Canon 1D it is about 85% RH or below.

Heres a link with some good info on film storage (still and motion.)

http://www.filmforever.org/

Hope this helps.

A humid basement is a receipe for disaster as the mildew and fungus is already there. You can beat it with a dehumidifier, but don't expect to pull the RH below 50% unless you have a big one, are willing to accept a big electric bill, and like the basement warm- they can be real power hogs. I have a pretty large basement, divided into two rooms, and use two dehumidifiers. I target 50%, and my equipment seems to do well, along with the photo paper in the darkroom. If you can, get a dehumidifier designed for low temperture operation. That way you can run it more of the year without icing up. During the summer I keep most of my equipment in the basement. During the cooler and less humid months, I keep it upstairs. One other thing about basements- if you have a water leak or flooding problem, that's where it will be. Make sure camera equipment is never stored near the floor. It should also be in something waterproof like big Tupperware bins with lids. Why? Because if a pipe breaks, the water will shower down. This actually happened to me. An outside faucet froze, and cracked the pipe a foot inside the house, at ceiling level. All sorts of things got showered, but everything in the plastic bins escaped damage.

I have a darkroom, print storage and camera storage in the basement and it is

really important to monitor it and check your lenses frequently. I run the

dehumidifyer as much as I can stand but it does get hot. In the winter the gas

furnace drys out the basement. I have moved most of my cameras upstairs as

I was getting haze and fungus and I have had to replace all my enlarger

lenses.

I looked at an environmental control unit in a museum and they had the

humidity set at 50%

Optical items that see fresh air and sunlight and actual usage will fare better than "stored" gear; even if the hunidity is low in the storage box. Stagnant air; using cases; and no light are friends of fungus and mold. NEVER place wet gear in a bag and forget about it. ALOT of fungus in lenses is just due to non usage; items unearthed at estate sales; stored in a dark dresser drawer; with no light or air movement.