Best Gitzo for nature

allen_riley_jr.

Why not trying something else?? I have worked with the Gitzo 410 for most of my nature photography career. I am currently testing a pre-production model of a tripod manufacturered by a company called Dutch hill. The model is the P900 and i think its great. Its stable, fairly big but i prefer the ,,Sachtler,, way the tripod is designed. Double upper legs and a single one sliding out of the top one. The design is simple but very rugged.

I use the tripod with a ARCA B1 ball head, EOS1N/EOS3 with 4.5/500 plus 1.4 and sometimes 2 x converters and i found the tripod very stable. I also use the sidekick and again it works fine.

It amazed me that so few US photographers work with tripods manufactured by Dutch Hill.

If weight isn't an issue, I too think the Gitzo 410 is more than sufficient for this combination. In fact I have use this exact combination on a Gitzo 326 and it seems to be fine. Keep in mind that the 326 has 3 joints/4 leg sections per leg. If you want faster set up, get the 320, 340 or 410, all of which have 2 joints/3 leg sections.

Of course the main problem with the 410 is weight. At least I wouldn't go hiking with it.

Try a search of this forum for more information, and much more discussion on Gitzo tripods.

The Gitzo 410 is probably the best metal tripod for use with lenses of 500mm or longer. The 340 is also very good (and lighter), but probably not stable enough with longer lenses. Although, others have used the 340 with much success.

In carbon fiber, the 13xx or 15xx series are reputed to be very stable and lightweight, but very expensive (compared to metal).

I recently purchased a Gitzo 410, based primarily, on the recommendations and discussions on this forum. I use a 500/4.5 and 800/5.6 and I felt that I definately needed something more than my Bogen 3021 for these larger lenses.

Whatever you decide, the quality of all of the Gitzo's is excellent.

For a very marginal weight increase the Gitzo 500 has larger diameter legs than the 410 and is probably more stable. The overall dimensions are about the same as the 410 folded down and extended. I've grown to love the Gitzo 500 tripod and don't even bother packing my ligther Bogens in the car when going out unless I'm climbing serious hikes.

Just a point to remember: the lense collar has some degree of flex to it and will give "camera shake" at 700mm and up even if the lens mount is bolted to a 1 ton block of steel. A sturdy tripod certainly helps but won't totally overcome shake. I find a support under the camera body essential at 1200mm shooting at less than 1/60 sec.

• 4 weeks later...
Allen Check out the G80 Special Anniversary Limited Edition. It is out of production but I believe B&H is still selling it - for $390 and it comes with the G1275M magnesium ballhead. The specs are almost identical to the G1228. The maximum height (without the center post extension) of the G80 is, in fact, 2 inches more than the G1228 i.e. 63" vs 61" for the G1228. This extra 2 inches more than compensates for the extra lb in weight. The folded length is the same i.e. 20.5". Additionally, the G80 has a foam rubber grip on one of the upper leg sections, which helps in very cold weather. The main difference between the G80 and G1228 is the weight and price. The G80 is 4.25 lbs and cost $390 (with a $131 ballhead included). The G1228 weighs 3.3 lbs and cost $554 WITHOUT any head. I recently bought the G80 from a trade show (cheaper than B&H). Since I am using it with a Foba Mini Superball with quick release, I sold the G1275M ballhead for $100, so final price of the G80 legs is LESS THAN HALF the price of a G1228, which is terrific value. B. Tan

• 8 months later...

Hello Allen

This might sound like its over-kill BUT it is the best advice I can

give is to tell you what I use, the gitzo 1548 carbon fiber, yes they

dont give these things away.

This is A light-weight tri-pod for the amount of load this tri-pod can

handel 33 pounds. What I carry is A 500 f4.5 wimberly head (not the

sidekick) no-way I will some day move to the 600 f4.0 IS this is why

great photographers like ARRTY MORRIS use the 1548 and the BIG wimberly HEAD because thry WORK VERY WELL, IVE tryed to photograph

birds in flight with A ball-head it dosent work for ME,

Good luck ALLEN and have FUN with your photography that is what counts

most of all (dont spend all your money trying to keep up with all the

other guys out there.

Gary S Meredith