Best Gimbal for Sony a7c

sunnyindy

I'm planning to purchase Sony a7c soon and start shooting video in addition to nature/landscape photography. I've been shooting with Canon's full frame DSLR for 10+ years, and I'm happy with the image quality. However, the lightweight full frame mirrorless sounds good for backpacking and challenging hikes... yes, I'm getting older. Since I'm a beginner for video shooting, I've been researching additional equipment.

I'm looking for a light weight gimbal, preferably table top tripod option, and Arca-Swiss type quick release. Any recommendations?

I also wonder if L-bracket on camera can attach to Gimbal without switching the plate?

Thank you so much!!

Really Right Stuff has an excellent range of strong yet lightweight tripods, including a tabletop version (which I wouldn't recommend for field use, unless you carry a suitable, self-leveling table). The also have several choices in camera gimbals. All RRS equipment revolves around Arca type clamps and plates. I recommend using a gimbal with a leveling platform rather than as an attachment to a conventional head. While a (ball) head is convenient for leveling the gimbal, it's more weight and less stability, due to the added height.

An RRS gimbal can be used effectively for both still photography and video. One RRS gimbal has adjustable fluid drag. Since Arca type clamps are used, an L-plate lets you mount the camera horizontally or vertically. Horizontal is best for video, unless you are targeting social media viewers. (Even then, I resist the temptation.)

I didn't say they were cheap, but they are effective, reliable and made to last many years. These are good attributes for use in the boonies. All their metal parts are machined from bar stock, not castings.

The classic gimbal mount is made by Wimberly, There is an heavy duty version which should be mounted directly on a tripod, and a compact "Sidekick" head used with a ball (or other) head. Both use Arca type clamps for mounting the camera. These and the RRS gimbals can be used with any tripod stiff enough to keep a long lens steady.

Wimberly heads have only rudimentary drag setting, mainly used to lock the head in position. You have only fore-aft motion with a sliding Arca plate to balance the camera on the horizontal axis.

The RRS gimbals can be adjusted to center the lens on both tilt and pan axes.

Thank you for your response Ed. I appreciate the detailed information.

I think we have misunderstanding... I'm researching for a gimbal for video shooting (motion stabilizer), more likely a large selfie stick for a small mirrorless camera.

I've been using for RRS ball head for my Canon's DSLR for years, and I loved their quality.

Thank you again!

I have a Ronin S which works well with an A7xxx, with prime lenses. For best performance you need to balance the camera on all three axes. That's not possible with a 24-70/2.8 unless you add counterweights. You can't move the camera back far enough and clear the rear motor without weights. The A7c would face the same issues. It might be possible to use the lighter Ronin SC. However the full-sized S has motors strong enough to work even if perfect balance an't be achieved. I successfully mounted and used an A7iii with a Sony PX 28-135/4, which has a foot for better balance. I added an Arca clamp for the camera, which adds at least 3/8" to the camera height.

The Ronin S is light for a motorized gimbal, but that's relative. It's too heavy for me to use beyond short clips without a break. I tried a shoulder strap, but find a monopod is easier to control with two hands and provides support for longer clips, pans and zooms, not to mention rest. The monopod, it could be used for extra height or gound level shots. There far better solutions for selfies.

The results are fantastic, the only irregularity is the up and down motion as you walk. With proper heel and toe walking with bent knees (the steadycam crawl, aka Groucho Marks style), the bobbing is minimal. A word of warning. Never let go the handle while powered up and unlocked. It will flail around, possibly causing damage or injury.

• Like 1