What is the best fine grain 35mm col negative film for scanning

I want to use col neg instead of my usual 100 asa col transparency

because:

1. I'm financially pinched and cant afford the transparency and the

process cost

2. I am looking for a lower contrast image as I'll be shooting in

some harsh light

thank you.

Add another vote for Reala. On the other hand at the price it sells you might as well get Provia 100f slide film (this is results from a GOOD camera store, PIctureline in my case, at alot of stores the transparencies may have some seriously jacked-up margins). Get Reala because you want the exposure latitude of negative film, not because you think it's cheaper than slide film. On the other hand my lab only charges me a quarter more than negative film to soup E-6 if I don't get it cut and mounted. For me the big plus with Reala is the exposure latitude, and the fact that it's one of the few negative films with grain I find acceptable that has a Vuescan profile. Which reminds me I should complain about that to Ed Hamrick sometime, or just invest in an IT8 camera target for making my own film profiles.

Hi Frank! I'll buck the trend above . . . Kodak Portra 160NC if good skin color is desired and Kodak Supra 100 if a more "journalistic" purpose is sought. Supra offers slightly more contrast but scans very well. I've shot a lot of Reala before switching to Kodak. But . . .Fuji is usally cheaper, yet I have found mail order Supra for less. - - - JeffD