Best development tank

the_macman

I'm looking for a great development tank. I already own three models (double-

reel Paterson 4 and AP, and a 4-reel no brand one). The problem is they all

leak at the lid. I need something super-tight, with a screw lid or something

conceived in a way that it would not leak at all as I shake.

I saw this Samigon steel tank on B&W. I just can't imagine how is it made. Is

that a clip-on lid just like crappy Paterson? Is there any chance it would leak?

What would be the mother of all development tanks? I don't mind the price.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I also have to grab it using a towel. Then it gets completely soaked of

by the end of development. Having to use half a roll of paper towel per roll of

film kinda puts is back 40 years or so. Not to mention that I mix 50ml more just

in case it runs out enough to soak below the film level. BTW... Hydroquinone

found in many developers is a suspected carcinogen and while I didn't take

the time to go one by one, I suspect there is a whole bunch of them that you

don't want to have on your skin. Of course, I could bother with gloves but then

thanks to the solution the tank gets pretty slippery. I hope that there are some

3-digit IQ engineers out there who conceived a tight tank.

The Omega tanks have a lid with an O-ring. The lid is threaded and it screws on.<br> Mine does not leak at all.

The tanks are pretty nice.<br>

Almost as fast filling and pouring as the Paterson tanks.<br>

Regular Paterson reels and center-cores fit in the Omega/Beseler tank just fine.<br>

If you do shoot for a used Kindermann tank off of e*ay, and the<br>lid/cover is stainless steel..<br> MAKE SURE IT'S THE ONE THAT FITS.<br>

I bought a 'Kindermann' tank with 4 matching reels. The cover and<br>reels are Kindermann.. The tank itself is 'made in Japan'. <br>

Needless to say, they do not fit.<br> The reels however, are pretty sweet so I wasn't too pi**ed.<br><br>

Just so you know what I'm talking about...

<a href="http://porterscamerastore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=22-1310&Category_Code=D1Q">Beseler Developing Tank</a><br>

Neither B&H nor Freestyle list it on their websites. My semi-local shop (Hunt's) carries these for about $14.

There are some Spanish-made plastic tanks that are compatible with Paterson reels. Instead of the pop-on lid these have screw-on lids. They'll still leak a bit with inversion agitation but I prefer to use the twist paddle method with these tanks. No mess at all.

Some folks claim twist paddle agitation is inferior to inversion agitation. Nonsense. I've used both, still use both and see absolutely no difference in my negatives.

As I understand it the twist paddle agitation method is an option with Paterson tanks. Dunno. I have only one Paterson tank and it lacks the light baffle/funnel doodad so I've never had a chance to try this tank.

It is possible to get a reasonably leak-proof fit between steel tanks and the inexpensive plastic lids. The trick is to match a well-fitted lid to a certain tank and keep 'em together.

Steel tanks and steel lids are pretty much hopeless and always have been. I have a couple of those now and they're as leaky as I'd remembered from years ago. Good for stand development, tho'.

A corrolary to the question:

I have and effectively use my 2 reel patterson, but is there a similar, nay, identical tank that pours out chemicals faster? I have waits of up to a minute to completely clear developer and fixer out of the tank, which concerns be from a timing/consistency of results perspective....

Another trick with the sort of stainless steel tanks that have stainless steel lids is to cut a wide 'corset' from a motorcycle inner tube (ask at a bike shop) and seal the lid to the tank with that. Just wrap it round the outside like a big rubber band. A strip about an inch/25mm wide should do it. This and many other useful tricks (such as drying film diagonally) appear in my books...

Cheers,

Roger

Macman, thanks for the link. I read the thread, but found nothing in it that supports your conclusion. According to many experts, random rotary agitation is the best possible for contrast control and even development. When one rotates the the reel in the tank by the spindle key, that's exactly what occurs; random rotary agitation.

Hans, Have you determined which development byproducts are heavier than the developer solution and should be redistributed? Just curious.