Best D700 Price?

jeffrey_prokopowicz

<p>Nikon USA now has this "minimum advertising price" (MAP) on most (all??) of their products. If a store is playing by Nikon's rules, they have to list the MAP on their web site. The D700 continues to have that $300 rebate. Therefore, the stores have to list it at either $2999.95 or $2699.95 with the rebate factored in.</p>

<p>You then either have to put the D700 into the shopping cart or click on something so that they can e-mail you the actual selling price. To say the least, this is annoying.</p>

<p>However, do you want to buy from a store that does not play by Nikon USA's rules?</p>

<p>Shun, both B&H and Amazon seem to be playing by Nikon's rules unless I'm missing something. Amazon doesn't list any price at all unless you add it to the cart. Anyway, I was glad to be informed by you that B&H lowered their price from the previous $2450 because I've been dealing with them since the early '80s and I've always been satisfied with their service, plus they've earned my complete trust. I probably would have paid the extra 50 bucks anyway. Adorama has been just as reliable as well.</p>

<p>While I have your ear, I just want to congratulate you on your outstanding D700 review. Very well done indeed!</p>

<p>I bought the D700 last November for $2500 from B&H Photo with free shipping and I feel like I got a great deal. The camera is simply the best digital SLR I've ever owned, the quality is second to none in my opinion. And I trust B&H Photo and have bought many items from them, most recently a replacement lens cap for my Nikon 16mm f2.8 AIS fisheye lens.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply Dave!</p>

<p>B&H has never done me wrong over many many years, but I still felt compelled, in these tough economic times, to make sure I wasn't missing out on a better price, and it turns out I wasn't.</p>

<p>Also, I'm very pleased to hear you're so happy with your D700; I know I will be too. And I'm not troubled at all about a higher resolution replacement because of the low light tradeoff. Anyway, thanks again.</p>

<p>Not showing the price until you add it to the cart is Amazon's way of getting around MAP. I found that Amazon's prices were the best, I managed to get one for 2349.00 a couple of months back.<br>

TIP: Amazon uses a pricing intelligence engine. Meaning different customers get different prices. (no, this doesn't mean necessarily that large spending repeat customers get the best prices). so strategies to get the best price out of Amazon:</p>

<ul>

<li> check their site often (if they see you looking at the same product over and over again, they might offer a slightly cheeper teaser rate, or if inventory levels are high, they adjust prices down)</li>

<li>Check prices both logged in, and not logged in... often "new" customers might get a teaser price that's a bit less</li>

<li>Compare different products (look at the Canon 5DmkII then the Nikon, or back and forth several times) If Amazon has LOTS of inventory of 1 thing, and little to no inventory of another thing they'll adjust prices to push sell owned inventory</li>

</ul>

<p>I almost never price compare amazon to anywhere else, most of the "anywhere elses" I'd buy something also list on Amazon and their return policies (including to pay shipping for returns) is awesome.</p>

<p>(Full disclosure: Amazon is a customer of mine.)</p>

<p> </p>