Best Computer Monitors for Photographers

<p>I'm in the process of upgrading my external 20 inch Dell Monitor which is like a 1st generation monitor from the 2oth century!!!!<br>

I am wondering whether some of you professional photographers could please share your point of view for the best 24 to 30 inch monitors in the market for photography without needing to mortgage my house. I am not a professional photographer but spend endless hours of taking pictures and editing them with Adobe Photoshop. By the way, my PC is a year old high-end Dell laptop.<br>

I thank you very much in advance...</p>

<p>Best in terms of its ability to provide good color matching (calibrated) and with a lack of banding? I'd go with a high bit smart monitor like the NEC 2490, 2690 or 3090 driven using their SpectraView II software and supported colorimeter or Spectrophotometer. The 2490 is an sRGB like display, the other two are wide gamut (closely approaching the gamut of Adobe RGB (1998)). All adjustments for calibration are conducted inside the panel in high bit to reduce banding. All calibration is produced using the display panel electronics mated to the proprietary software. You can build a suite of calibration targets (like one that's got a lower contrast ratio for matt papers or even news print, higher for gloss printing), then switch the calibration and associated profile "on the fly". For those on a budget, NEC has a lower quality panel without some of the internal features like ColorComp in their P22W unit. I'm quite happy with my 2690 and 3090 units. Closest do the old Sony Artisan I've still got hanging around here in terms of being a smart monitor (set the software, put the puck on screen and walk away).</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>What Martin have said, i use a NEC 2690 and use SpectraView II with it. For the money and quality..you cant beat that if you need a serious monitor because you are working and need that quality for pro result. If you are just a serious amateur that want good result but with a budget..the Dell and the Apple are amazing also.</p>

<p>I don't know the others, but I totally love my Eizo CG241W. but what nobody mentioned was that, do not even think of buying one of these unless you ALSO buy an E1Display calibrator or equivalent. So the price should include both purchases. Sorry if u know this already!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

<p>Am also in the process to upgrade my monitor and here is the result of my research, on pro-level with a good-ish budget... I have found that both the Eizo CG243W and CG241W and the NEC SpectraView 2690 are in the same £(UK) ballpark. I also read that these large gamut monitors need spectrophotometers(?) not just the eye1 or spyder ,etc but something like the color munki photo (X-Rite) for a proper calibration. Cannot make up my mind between the IPS panel technology of the CG243W or the PVA panel of CG241W.... as most of the time i sit square to the screen and rarely have clients around, I don't mind too much about angle of vision. But wondering if actually saving £s on the screen and getting the NEC multisync 2690WUXi2 and the good color munki calibrator (that will also do printer profiles) is the better way to do it. Although on the other hand, the Eizo has a 5 yr warranty and will give you a same or better screen on loan while yours is being repaired. How often do these screens go down though? And with the color munki, it is all starting to become very expensive.<br>

I spend a lot of time editing, retouching, and preparing files for repro, so this is quite an important decision. <br>

Any thoughts on my research results would be helpful.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>Am also in the process to upgrade my monitor and here is the result of my research, on pro-level with a good-ish budget... I have found that both the Eizo CG243W and CG241W and the NEC SpectraView 2690 are in the same £(UK) ballpark. I also read that these large gamut monitors need spectrophotometers(?) not just the eye1 or spyder ,etc but something like the color munki photo (X-Rite) for a proper calibration. Cannot make up my mind between the IPS panel technology of the CG243W or the PVA panel of CG241W.... as most of the time i sit square to the screen and rarely have clients around, I don't mind too much about angle of vision. But wondering if actually saving £s on the screen and getting the NEC multisync 2690WUXi2 and the good color munki calibrator (that will also do printer profiles) is the better way to do it. Although on the other hand, the Eizo has a 5 yr warranty and will give you a same or better screen on loan while yours is being repaired. How often do these screens go down though? And with the color munki, it is all starting to become very expensive.<br>

I spend a lot of time editing, retouching, and preparing files for repro, so this is quite an important decision. <br>

Any thoughts on my research results would be helpful.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>Ditto. Edina I have the same questions. I'm leaning toward NEC 2690wuxi2 at US$1,100 online versus Eizo CG243W at US$2,200 or CG241W at $1,800. The difference will more than pay for the colormunki.<br>

My only reservation for buying the wide gamut is seeing poor colors when viewing web or other non-color managed applications. Not important if you spend all your time elsewhere, but I look at images in other sRGB-only apps and don't know enough yet to understand if I will end up with conversion hassles trying to use a wide gamut monitor in these apps. </p>

<p>1_i dont know anyone in is right mind that would buy a Eizo monitor when you can buy a NEC for 1k less for the same quality.</p>

<p>2_No need to buy the colormunky..save another 200$ and simply get the calibration kit from NEC witch is the eye1 and the spectraview software.</p>

<p>3_and i dont see what you are talking about concerning the web and other software..i have a 2690 and what i see on the web look good, and all the srgb i see on my computer look also good...from word, preview, firefox, safari and of course Photoshop.</p>

<p>The real question is; do you really need such a expensive monitor if you dont earn your main income from photo retouching or photography? because a Dell U2410 for 500$CAN can be also all you need, for serious amateur and pro alike... another 700$ less vs a NEC 2690..basically i just save you 1700$ with this dell vs a Eizo monitor.. tic tac tic tac youre choice ; )</p>