I'm traveling to Europe this summer, and am preparing my gear well in

advance. Since basically all I'm taking with me is what I can hold

in my backpack, aside from a camera body and a single lens, I would

like to take a tripod. I've heard the Velbon Maxi 343E is a very

very good tripod for traveling. Before I buy it though, I was

wondering if there are any other smaller tripods out there that are

better than this one (for a reasonable price), or are there any newer

versions of this tripod? Thank you!

<p>Just as a note:<br>The <a href="http://www.adorama.com/BG3230.html?searchinfo=bogen%20self%20stand&item_no=5">Bogen/Manfrotto self-standing monopod that Yakim Peled refers to</a> is actually heavier (2.4lbs) than the <a href="http://www.adorama.com/SLSPB.html?searchinfo=slik%20sprint%20pro&item_no=1">Slik Sprint Pro</a> (1.95lbs) or the <a href="http://www.adorama.com/VNM343E.html?searchinfo=velbon%20343e&item_no=1">Velbon Maxi 343E</a> (1.9lbs). I'd <i>guess</i> (from its design) that it's less stable, but I've not actually seen any of the three of these to make an objective assessment!</p>

<p>The Gitzo G0027 only goes to 28" <i>with</i> the centre column extended. The Velbon goes to 53" (column closed) or 62" (column extended); the Slik goes to 52" (column closed) or 64" (column extended). That might or might not be a concern.</p>

It's a simple equation. You need to determine how small you want it to be folded, how high you want it at extension (which relates to stability), how much it can weigh (don't forget the head), and how much weight it needs to hold. if you can define those four factors and compare them to what's available, it'll almost make the decision for you.

"Best compact" is too vague. To me, that's something that folds to 12 inches, extends to 25-30 and holds a basic auto SLR with a 50/1.8 without any hand support. From what I think you're saying, I'd suggest a Bogen 3001 and cut down the legs a couple inches. If money is no object (I never object to it), a CF Gitzo would be my choice. If you're going to lug it all over, pay VERY close attention to total weight of the package.

Well, weight is an issue, but most important is size. Must be as compact as possible when folded up, as every inch it takes in my backpack is another piece of clothing I'll be without for a month! I think that for this trip I'm going to take my Canon 7e and make due with my 28-105mm lens, and leave it at that. I like the height of the velbon and the slik... I will definatley be looking into that

I'd be pretty sure(unable to come up with anything on a websearch either) that Velbon Ultra MAXiF is a pin-leg tripod.

I have a 9-section pin-leg that I've had for years. It is unbeatable for portability -it extends to 51" in about 8 seconds, and folds down to 10" in about 4 seconds.

It's pretty wobbly... but if I have it in my camera bag; it's way steadier than a Bogen in the closet at home. (Wobbly isn't a problem with a light camera if you're just using the self-timer to get into a group picture, or there isn't any wind).

That Velbon would appear to be a heftier version. (Mine cost about $25 in 1983 or so).

Pin-leg tripods extend like a car antenna; with little spring loaded pins that pop out of each section at full extension to keep them that way. The topmost section then twists to keep it locked.

When you unlock the top section and push, the pins automatically release as each section retracts -so you just unlock the top, fold the legs together, and push down, and the whole thing zips into itself.

Thanks so much for that input. I think I might get that Velbon Ultra Maxi with the Pan head; from what I've read panheads are better for architecture and what not, which is what I'll be taking most of my photos of. Thanks again.