best canon for under $500 (G12, Rebel?)

raul

<p>Hi,<br>

For years my wife and I had SLR, she a Nikon, I a Canon, but it's been long since we used film and now we have a simple point and shoot, and we miss terribly a SLR, or something more pro than a Coolpix.<br>

I'm seriously thinking on getting a G11 or 12, love the designs and dials... but she want something more like a traditional camera, big lens, etc... so in that price range I find the Rebel. I know the big difference is the possibility of changing lens, but truth be told, I'll buy one lens and that will be all.<br>

How well one can control depth of field on a G12? That is something really important to me.<br>

So really I'm looking for some advice, I'm kind of lost.<br>

What would you recommend in the $500 price range?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>[[How well one can control depth of field on a G12? That is something really important to me.]]</p>

<p>If selective and narrow depth of field are very important, then a digital point and shoot is not the right tool for the job.</p>

<p>For $500 you can find either a new Canon XS, which is a fine entry-level camera, or a number of other used Canon DSLR bodies, depending on how much wear and tear you're willing to put up with. :)</p>

<p>Mmm... John, I won't put much faith in that future, really!<br>

I had my mind fixed in the G12... I see that it also captures good video, while the Rebel can't.<br>

Is there a way to search in the gallery for pictures taken with a particular camera?</p>

<p>If brand is not a limitation, what other camera will enter the options pool? What about all this new 3/4 mirrorless cameras?</p>

<p>The 4/3 (just like the Rebel) have much better sensor but initially already over $500 and you will need to add up many things later which makes it way more expensive</p>

<p>I do have faith that you will be able to ask for upgrading money, but I can't say if that's a good thing to do</p>

<p>Raul,</p>

<p>I too am looking for a new camera and the SLR feeling has to be there.</p>

<p>I have narrowed my choices to the Canon G12 and a Panasonic G10 ( the later being an interchangeable lens camera) the Canaon has a 1/1.7 cmos sensor and the Panasonic has a micro 4/3rds sensor, much larger than the Canon.</p>

<p>The only thing holding me back from the Panasonic is that I lean towards the Camera only manufacturers ( Pentax, Canon, Nikon ETC) but I really like the Panasonic from what I have read.</p>

<p>I have had the G12 in my hands and WOW for a little camera.</p>

<p>A store in my area was kind enough to allow me to put my Gig card in it.</p>

<p>I do find the Canon to be short on the long end for my likes. but if you want to go with just that len it may work for you.<br>

I could not take the camera outside so I shot through the glass door</p>

Wow, really unspectacular results from that G12. Maybe dynamic range correction would have helped in the first. The third is very washed out, so AutoLevels helps in postprocessing. I am really spoiled by out-of-camera results from my Fuji EXR cameras.

Raul, here is a comparison widget. Just substitute the Canon 1000D (XS) for the LX5. The 1000D is not superior to the G12 until ISO 1600 in my view. Furthermore they are using the 50/1.4 prime for this test; the 18-55 kit lens would be worse.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/page12.asp

<p>Thats what I figured Raul.</p>

<p>I dont do much if anything with Post processing. I am not a professional. I just like taking pictures of what I see so the camera has to be set right when I use it. </p>

<p>this G12 on auto just as a point and shoot is obviously not too good based on Bills response.</p>

<p>looking at the full sized photos you can see a lot of problems with some of the items not centered in the photo. I think I have become too accustomed to the Pentax's AF and Metering modes that I dont worry about stuff like that.</p>

<p>thats why I want a camera with a larger sensor and DSLR like functions. would love to get my hands on the Panasonic G10 before actually pulling the trigger.</p>

<p>Most stores only have Nikon and Canon stuff in stock where I am and Camera stores are very few and far between where I am located. maybe a day trip to Manhattan is in order...</p>

I would not expect the 1000D (Rebel XS) to be any better without post-processing, in fact it is likely to be worse. The indoor pictures Christopher posted are just about ideal - I can't easily improve them. I think the problem with the three zoom photos taken outside the store is that they were taken looking into the light. Contre-jour as the French call it. By the way, what is the fuzzy wiring stuff hanging down from the ceiling in the wide angle (first) image?

<p>I think you make a mistake is sticking with the 'old camera builders' these things are largely electronics now and Panasonic are highly respected in that field. To me the G10 is the obvious choice even if you will only get the standard lens to go with it. I understand the G's only have optical viewfinders which is so 'old fashioned' and useless, except for those who love them, I wouldn't have a camera that wasn't live view EVF .. had them the past eight or so years :-)</p>

<p>Bill, I like the G12 a lot, but THAT is a killer point to me...<br>

What is the Nikon equivalent to the Rebel?<br>

...and what about the Nikon Coolpix P80 / 100 / 110? They are a lot cheaper... I don't know...</p>

<p>Bill, that may be lathe for the stucco protruding through on the facade.<br>

or, if they have it draped over the store name so birds dont nest in between the letters<br>

IDK for sure</p>

<p>Raul,</p>

<p>the Coolpix, Kodak etc super zooms are great for all in one cameras. great focal range but they still work off a 1/2.3 ccd sensor.<br>

going from Film to that will disappoint you when you crop and blowup pictures. dont get me wrong, I love my Z612 but it is limited on a creative, IQ level</p>

<p> </p><div>00Xlpv-306953584.thumb.jpg.3eb394b320d80f0d8d4d7d59f35ab919.jpg</div>

The Nikon P7000 is competitive with the Canon G12. I do not follow low-end P&S models, so I can't say anything about the other Coolpix models you mention.

D3100 is Nikon's least expensive new DLSR model. It seems superior to the 1000D (XS), for example it supports HD video, but it costs more. The shallow-DOF argument is a bit specious because unless you are willing to spend additional money on a portrait lens, you aren't going to get smooth backgrounds from a cheap 18-55/3.5-5.6 kit lens. I like the Nikon one better, but it has awful out-of-focus rendition.

If you want telephoto, Nikon makes a 55-300 lens for APS-C, Canon does not. However Canon's pro telephoto lenses are generally less expensive than Nikon.