Best Camera for Beginner?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by connorbro, May 12, 2018.

1. It's true that as film containers, interchangeable lens film cameras has little effect in image quality. Even then, the lens was never the sole factor, and film emulsions did advance over time. That advance was slow compared with the first couple of decades of digital sensor development, so the old "a good lens is always a good lens and an investment" claim is less convincing now - otherwise we wouldn't see so many revisions of the 70-200. Sensor advances do seem too be slowing as the technology matured, though.

But a bad lens is still a bad lens!

2. HoofArted

HoofArted SE Ohio

When I'm asked about a DSLR I tell people to get an "entry level" camera and work their way up as they figure out what they want to shoot. Might not even have an interest in photography a month from now. Don't go crazy. Get a camera, even if it's only a low-end point and shoot, and start taking pictures.

Besides, it's more financially desirable to use entry level stuff to learn how to take care of the camera and equipment. YMMV.

DavidTriplett likes this.
  3. @HoofArted makes a good point.
    Since the OP didn't care to reply, I'll add my 2ct: Look at dpreview.com's camera round ups try your hands on something you might like. Maybe figure out into which brand you are interested in general and dip your toes for cheap on the used market. Don't get me wrong; $1K are a lot of money and able to buy a quite decent camera. But everything they'll get will be a compromise too and not necessarily the one suiting you "best"...
    My current recommendation, fired blind from the hip, would be something Microforthirds, maybe a Panasonic? <-As a new camera. They are lighter than DSLRs and ultra convenient to carry.
    On the used shoestring budged market I recommend elderly Pentax kits like a K10D with 2 zooms and a bag etc. about $200 to get your feeet wet while making up your mind on what to spend the big $$s.

I honestly know little about the current $1000 DSLR crop. The Canon vs Nikon debate can only be settled by figuring out which lenses are easier to borrow for you or by picking the one you like more (hands on, trying to use their menus!) for me it was "Canon" but that was one guy in a different market segment and different point in time... - Only spend that much on Pentax if you are sure(!) to be not interested in people in motion. (Yes, I own Pentax and know that shortcomming).
    Fuji and Sony offer something too. - You'll most likely end wanting to spend more on their later and greater offerings once you get it. - If DSLRs are an option at all for you, they are more likely to remain "your camera" for a while. They did feel bearable, long before mirrorless reached that point.

4. paul ron

paul ron NYC

all good recomendations above.

BUT if you really want to see and feel whats available and within the budget... go to B&H! They have everything out on display to play with. If you cant go to B&H, any good photo shop like B&H is the place to try out your new shoes.

Gary Naka and Andrew Garrard like this.
  5. For a general camera/lens combo that will make great photographs I'd get a Nikon 3400 (about $500 with a kit lens) and Nikon's stellar 35mm DX prime ($166 brand new). You'll have a very usable camera and you will have started collecting lenses with one of the best primes out there for the money. You'll still have cash left for memory cards and other stuff. But as everyone else said, there are a zillion cameras out there. Most of them are pretty good.

DavidTriplett likes this.
  6. If only one lives near such a store.

7. To be fair, I don't live all that close to a decent camera store - and when I've visited them, I've found that Nikon, at least, no longer seem to be encouraging them to show off a wide range.

But I can vouch for visiting distant camera stores on holiday and business trips (always popular with my wife and colleagues) if there's nothing close. And even local electronics and department stores tend to have the budget models in stock so you can handle them, if you don't want anything exotic.

8. I am in the Dallas, TX area and to see a high end camera I would have to go to Competivie Camera which carries almost as much as B&H (minus the electronic, audio, computer stuff at B&H) but the owner isn't very nice so I would be hesitate to visit them just for a look around. Besides although they carry a lot of stuff they don't display much.

9. Thanks for the warning, BeBu!

10. In the old days, the first camera was just a donation from a parent or relative and was ... basic at best. Preferably you wanted one with a decent lens which gave you enough creative control (shutter speeds, aperture and today ISO) to actually learn how the hardware worked. Even with your budget, you might want to get something cheap at first that meets these guidelines because camera choice tends to be really personal and you don't want to spend your whole budget on a camera that doesn't suit you.

It also depends on the use you want to put it to. Classes have requirements, different types of photographies tend to have them too. You may not know what you really like yet. You might look at B&H Photo and KEH for their used cameras. They are both very reliable. Or you might even have a relative who can loan you something till you KNOW what you really want.

11. Good idea to buy a new Camera right now. And you have a decent budget I think. Under $1000 you might some good and high quality Camera for yourself. My best prefer is Nikon, Fuji and Canon. Though you can whatever you like.

Thank you so much!