Best camera for a Minhization?

grapegeek

I really like the photos that Luis and Gene have posted over the past few weeks

from Minh modified cameras. Can someone give me some camera models, lenses and

such? I like the 616 cameras. Are there some with better bellows? Any help would

be appreciated so I don't waste too much time watching eBay...

In an email not too long ago I asked Minh this - he said it depends what you can find and what exactly you want.

Of the commonly available folders, he has experience with the Kodak 1a, 2a, and 616 for 6x12 (or close enough - sometimes off by a few millimeters), the 3a gives 6x14, and the hard-to-find 4a can be converted to 6x17. Those lenses are all uncoated, however, and most (but not all, as I've discovered), have max. shutter speeds of 1/100.

In the Polaroid folders, the 110 is most common for conversion, however, it is also the most desirable, as the lenses are coated and the shutter speed goes up to 1/300 (gives 6x12 converted).

Essentially, we're talking about considerably old cameras (some of the aforementioned Kodaks date back to 1915 or earlier), so a lot of it is taking a chance (especially as, I've noticed, many of the sellers have no idea how to use the thing, even to test the shutter).

The Kodaks especially are very common, other than the 4a, so you should be able to find a decent specimen along the line.

I'm eagerly waiting for my own Minh Special, but to be honest I've grabbed a couple of other Kodak folders already for possible conversion - by the look of it, if you can find any of the folders in good shape labeled "Special", go for it - they generally come with upgraded lenses and shutters from various German manufacturers, and were supposedly the "professional" versions of the same models, so possibly a little better made.

In Kodak folders, old can be an advantage. They will have leather bellows. The synthetic bellows that they used on the Monitors (otherwise great cameras) were complete junk.

These uncoated Tessars won't have much more flare than a typical coated point and shoot zoom, so contrast isn't really a big issue.

3A's were made with some pretty good shutters with decent top speeds, I'd say the Kodamatic is the best, the Ilex Universal isn't bad either. The Wollensak Optimo is hit or miss, a good one can be nice, but if the piston is worn out, there's no hope. Any of those shutters will be paired with a fine lens. While the Kodak Ball Bearing shutter is an indestructible tank, it's often paired with a so-so lens at best, and has only two or three shutter speeds.

Of course, if you want to live dangerously, put a lens from a 116 or 616 camera on a 122 (3A) camera, and you'll have a wide-angle panoramic camera. A new infinity stop and focusing scale would be required, and there will be some real vignetting, at least wide open. A Rapid Rectillinear probably has less light falloff than a Tessar (Kodak Anastigmat or similar name). Tessar sharpness comes at the cost of a narrow cone.

Why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good classic camera by turning it into a pseudo-wide format camera? It's not really a panoramic camera just because the negative has been "letter boxed." Have you nothing better to do with your time and money?

Bill - the Kodak/Polaroid/other folders we're talking about here may be "perfectly good classic cameras" in that the shutters function and the lenses are good, but film for them has been unavailable for a long time, thus making them less than useful for those that would rather take pictures with them than just look at them. If by converting them they can be made useful again, I don't see the problem. Secondly, shooting with an aspect ratio of 2:1 or greater is frankly interesting for some of us, whether or not it's "true" panorama.

John - Depending on how this goes, eventually I might own both a converted 616 and a converted 3A - is the focus scale for a 616 lens on a 3A just a matter of trial and error, or is there (even a general) guide somewhere?

Glenn

The 3A can be fit with a Rodenstock from Polaroid 110 or 90mm wide angle lens to make it a Panorama camera. Normal, wide angle, super wide angle lenses with the same formats and the same focus distances will give you different angles of view "Panorama is just a word". You are the guy who decide what kind of word for your camera. Should we ask Fuji throw away those 300mm and 180mm because they are not panorama lens for their 6x17 panorama cameras. Do not tighten yourself to a word, life is too short so enjoy your life...Cheers

Pretty much all of the Polaroid roll-film cameras are awesome. Some people split hairs and only like the top model, but all of them have sharp optics, and good luck finding many folding cameras in this format built better! The "simple" versions with the f/8.8 lenses are great performers and the shutters are as dependable as the old Kodak ball-bearing shutters.

I put up a page on my site with a run-down of all of the features of the Folding Roll-Film cameras to aid people in recognizing them and finding the one they want... I will probably eventually make a compilmentary page for the Folding Pack-Film cameras as well:

http://www.patrickjdempsey.com/newsite/index.html?experiment/polaroidrollfilm.html

I think that the point is that these once shelf queens are being put to use. If this requires some modification, so be it, as I would rather see these old picture takers being used rather that collecting dust.

I have just sent my old Kodak folder to Minh to have it Minharized because it was just sitting here doing nothing.

My camera used to take 122 film which I think took postcard (3 1/2 x 5in.) photos, so when you make it suit 120 roll film the format is 2 1/4 x 5 inch panoramic photos.... sounds good to me.

Tony

John- Your suggestion about using a 3a for a wide angle folder got me thinking. while prowling on ebay for parts I found this: someones grandfather mounted a #3a (postcard format) standard on a #2 (120 film) box brownie body. see it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STRANGE-HYBRID-KODAK-VINTAGE-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ190200890718QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4701QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy is 1/2 way there. Now, to just figure out how to swap out the back with a ground glass and install a darkslide. Modding a Recomar 33 would be easier but much more expensive and a bit of a waste.

All this talk of using 120 in the older larger format cameras got me to looking around in the "collection". I came up with two possibilities: a cherry Kodak 1A Autographic (even has the stylus) with a 127mm f/6.3 Anastigmat in a Kodex shutter with T, B, 25, and 50; and, a pristine Ensign 3 1/4 A with an unmarked f/8 lens in an Ultex shutter with T, B, 100, 50, 25. The Kodak is a 116 (2 1/2 x 4 1/4) and the Ensign is a 122 (3 1/4 x 5 1/2). The Ensign will require adapter ends for the feed spool and a mask to provide a pressure plate so it went to the back burner for the moment. The Kodak looked too easy. It has a spring loaded pressure plate with a shape that would keep a 120 feed spool centered. The take up spool has slots that would center the end of the 120 film. I ran a roll of paper backing through it with the front off and figured out how many turns of the wind knob it ought to take to get 6 exposures. I put a piece of gaffers tape over the red window (the only modification required!) and popped in a roll of TMax 100. I just made my 6 shots from the back porch and I'm on my way the darkroom to see what happened. Wish me luck.