Best 'Budget' DSLR or Mirrorless - Nikon AIS Lenses

snicker_doodle

I'm not new to digital but it's been over a decade since I've used a digital body so I know nothing about recent offerings. I'm shopping for an inexpensive mirrorless or DSLR with at least 24MP and will accept Nikon AIS lenses (adapter okay if not pricey). The meter must work in Manual and Aperture Priority Automatic. I need to keep the total cost under US$500 (not counting lenses) but might consider a little bit more if the gain is worth it. I prefer mirrorless but I haven't found an affordable one which meets my criteria. I don't care what brand.

I've be researching and searching. I think a Nikon D7100 might be a good option. Used ones are selling for $400-500. Are there better and/or cheaper options? Any caveats? Advice?

Thanks in advance!!

Are you accustomed to using film SLRs? If so, you may be initially thrown off by the "crop factor" of 1.5x owing to the smaller-than-35mm-film sensor of a D7100. I won't get into all of the pros and cons of the DX format here, but if you are used to 135 format, an FX camera will present a shallower learning curve. The D700 would be the recommended body in your price range—it's a bit old but still has competitive image quality. For something a bit more up to date and with a higher pixel count, the D600 is not much over $500.
  • Like 1

Are you accustomed to using film SLRs? If so, you may be initially thrown off by the "crop factor" of 1.5x owing to the smaller-than-35mm-film sensor of a D7100. I won't get into all of the pros and cons of the DX format here, but if you are used to 135 format, an FX camera will present a shallower learning curve. The D700 would be the recommended body in your price range—it's a bit old but still has competitive image quality. For something a bit more up to date and with a higher pixel count, the D600 is not much over $500.

Thank you. I haven't shot 135 format film in forty years.:) I do prefer a FF sensor so the extra $100 is worth it to me.

I think Nikon will drop the price of the D750 once they have sufficient Z6 to ship so I think it's the best "Budget" for AI-S lenses.

Thank you. I'll research the D750.

The $500 budget is pretty tight. Which AI-S lenses do you have to use on this camera?

I too prefer FX to eliminate the crop factor, but they cost more. I wouldn't waste money on a adapter.

Thank you, Yes, $500 is a tight budget but it's a heck of a lot of money for me.:) The only lens I have is a 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor. I could sell it and buy other lenses but high quality normal and macro are my priorities. Do the adapters not work well?

A D750 at your budget will probably be hard to find in the short term - the D600 or D610 are more affordable, and easier to find around your budget.

Yes, the D750 are selling in the $1000+ range so I suspect it'll be several months before I can afford one.

$500 is a pretty limited budget. IMO it is not a good idea to waste an important chunk of that on an adapter.

If all you have is a 55mm for macro, you might as well get a decent DX body such as a D7100. For macro, I don't think the crop factor will be a serious issue. It could even be an advantage. If you had portrait lenses, etc., the crop factor may mess things up so that those are no longer portrait lenses for DX.

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 1

I paid $600 for my D600-I know that's over your $500 budget, but I think it might be a good choice for you if you can swing the extra ~$100.

The D600/610 are effectively the D7x00 body, but with a full frame sensor. You get manual and aperture priority in all metering modes. Even though it's not my main camera, I've been very happy with my D600. It doesn't have the absolute IQ nor is it as good in low light as my D800, but it's a lot lighter and is a very nice handling camera.

If it weren't for your 24mp requirement, I'd suggest a D300(s) as a true budget option, but it's 12mp. There are pros and cons to going with a crop frame...but many older AI/AI-S lenses do start to show their weaknesses when you get into the pixel densities of a 24mp crop frame sensor. The 24mp full frame D600/D750 sensor is a lot more forgiving in this respect.

• Like 2

I would say that choices depend on the manual focus lenses you have.

A good D600 can be had within (or very close) your budget, my friend just got a good D600 for under $600. That's a lot of camera for the money.

I find it difficult t accurately focus fast wide angle lenses through DSLRs. A sony A7 version 1 works well with almost any manual focus lens. Adaptors will be needed. I think the Nikon D600 is a better camera than the A7, but the A7 is good with older MF lenses

• Like 1

I take back my recommendation on the D750 because now I know the OP only has 1 lens. In this case I would think the simply buy the D3400 (or D3300) kit. It's less than $500 and brand new. The OP can still use the 50mm f/2.8 micro for macro. For macro work I wouldn't need AF or metering.

Another vote for a used D600. I just got a well used (120k) shots for under £390.

It's for IR conversion so isn't destined for a hard life, more put out to pasture but out for an occasional hack at weekends.

It's is indeed a lot of camera for the money.

I'd keep the macro if you can. They should work well together.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a gently used D600 or D610. Do I need to find one with a factory replaced shutter (recall fix) or are later models (serial number?) okay?

Probably the safest thing would be to find a seller who has used the camera extensively, knows about the oil drop issue, and can say confidently that their sample does not suffer from it (any more, if it ever did).

This is still on the Nikon USA website, appears that the shutter replacement offer is still valid:

Updated Technical Service Advisory for Users of the Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera Service Advisory

I did notice the issue with the D600 I had, blobs in the sky when shooting with a stopped down lens. Sent the one I had in and did get the issue resolved. That was several years ago, though.

Don't sell the 55mm f/2.8 micro-Nikkor! You'll regret it later. Especially since you'll get hardly any real money for it. Certainly not enough to buy anything optically better.

If you're not wedded to full-frame a used D7100 could probably be got for your budget. Or a Sony a6000 with kit lens + Nikon adapter.

I recently bought a used a6000 and find it delivers stunning 24Mp IQ in such a tiny body. OK, the interface isn't too intuitive, but if you've been 'out of the game' for a while, I imagine any DSLR or MILC is going to feel a bit strange and bewildering.

I prefer the a6000 for macro work. The swivel screen is very convenient, and it becomes more of a bellows or lens with a camera attached than vice-versa. No P-C socket for a ringflash unfortunately, but hotshoe-to-PC adapters are cheap enough.

I found a nice A6000 body with less than 2000 exposure count, installed Tough E-mount, battery and charger for US$322 delivered. The least pricey D600 I can find is $574 and most are around $650 or more. From what I understand, a good lens adapter is less than $50. I hope that's right.

I think of it this way. If I discover I erred then I can sell it with little loss and buy the D600. :)

Edited by snicker_doodle