Best bird/wildlife photography locations near Seattle,Washington and nearby islands ?

birdsofearth

I would like to know the best places to photograph birds and wildlife

near Seattle, Washington area and nearby islands. It should be within

1-2 hours drive. I have already visited Nisqually Wildlife Refuge

(NWR), Black river wetland(in Renton, near Seattle), Skaigit river

valley etc places. At Black river, though the birds were more than 100

feet away, when they noticed me, they responded as if I am the first

human being they have ever seen,(even Mallards). NWR does not give

much scope for getting close to birds.

First I thought lets search/study the various places. But then

normally we go out on weekends, and after couple of weekend visits,

and the fact that 'Sunny days' in winter are very rare in Seattle, now

I think its best to ask for the best places than trying to find one!

Isn't there any 'Everglades' in Washington ?

Thanks.

Actually, they react the way they do in part because you're NOT the first human you've seen, waterfowl have been hunted by humans for eons and are very wary of us.

Skagit and Samish flats can be really good but it takes a lot of work. I live in Portland, OR and I don't know of any PNW bird photography locales that are full of "gimmes" like south Florida or Bosque del Apache, etc.

Reaching a Bit, Reiffel Island and Burnaby Park in B.C. have very good

access to relatively common species and waterfowl.

In Seattle proper I would look to green lake and any parts of the

waterfront where you can get to the shoreline and feel comfortable

carrying a camera.

In the contex of city parks I find hunting seasons useful as the birds

seem to understand the relative merits of photography in a suburban

setting and hunting in a rural one.

Overall I might suggest that one forgoe the "big" lens and find

something like a 300mm with an extension tube and freequent city

trails and parks for animals like chickadees, kinglets, Deer and

Rabbits ect.

Good luck

Fredrick Sears.

P.s. there are no everglades I know of though there are tons of

interesting and tolerate birds in various

Thanks for your response to my recent question about eagles up in the Skagit River area. I would like to suggest a book for you called "Seasonal Guide to the Natural Year" by James Luther Davis. It is limited to describing natural events "by month" in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. The author has several suggestions about great birding spots depending on your interests, physical condition and time of year. I spent time at Willapa Bay NWR (SW Wash)chasing sandpipers, snowy plovers and other shore birds to some success in late spring/early summer(it was my first visit). The author is really high on Bowerman Basin in Gray's Harbor in the spring. Great ideas for owling, elk, big horned sheep. Raptors and Swans for January! Great guide. I've had it for a while but I think I remember buying it at REI.

Bowerman Basin on Grays Harbor near Aberdeen can have around 2 million birds in April, but you can find some most anytime of year. At the outer limit of your 2-hour drive would be the wildlife refuge in Ridgefield WA (about 15 miles north of Vancouver WA).

Don't rush your movements, and it doesn't hurt to dress like a hunter (in camoflauge, not with a bright orange vest). And save up for that 600mm f4 lens.

Inland from the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, on the way to the town of LaCenter, is the East Fork of the Lewis River. In winter, water covers most of the bottomlands, which are about 1/2 mile wide. When it isn't too flooded, not like today, hundreds of Whistling Swans and Canadian geese, a few Snow Geese and a few Blue Herons gather in the ponds on both sides of the bridge. [Hunters sometimes scare them off, but hunting season ends in January.]

There are some public lands on both sides of the bridge and there are some natural and man-made blinds.

Linc Wolverton

Hi Narendra - One of my favorite spots to photograph wildlife in the Seattle are is at Twin Lakes, near Arlington, WA (about 20 or 30 miles north of Everett on I-5). It's on a US Navy Submarine Radio Relay station called Jim Creek (there's a giant valley that acts as a natural parabola - they enhance and relay the weak radio signals sent from nuclear submariens sitting on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean). Anyhow, it used to be that only guests of the base commander could go there, but it's my understanding that it's now open to the public for fishing (check the local fishing schedule - you can buy it at any sporting goods store). From the parking area, walk down the perimiter trail that goes to the second lake (it starts near the big cabin) and you'll cross several beaver dams. I've photographed golden eagles, beaver, deer, chipmonks, and the miror-clean lake itself. It's a wonderful photo op if you can find it. Of course, my dad just goes up there to fish. :-) If you want to photograph OUR Everglades, try the Hoh Rain Forest in Olympic National Park. It's beautiful beyond description. Take a really good wide angle lens for near-far perspective and you'll be patting yourself on the back.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 11 months later...