Best bag in a 3rd world country?

iamagloworm

Hi there, obviously there are a thousand bags out there, but i'm after some advice from others who have

travelled to the bush and back.

First off i'll list my equipment I want to carry on my person at any one time. Simply a 5D with a wide angle

prime lens and a zoom plus a 580ex and a tripod.

SImple no? Of course I carry a lot of other kit including laptop, portable HD, 4 other lenses and an extra

flash and tripod. Luckily I don't feel compelled to carry all that on my person at any one time.

I will be travelling to the asian and african third world on a 12 month expedition. Sounds great, I just want

to do my best to be inconspicuous. At least as much as realistically possible.

My idea is to carry a khaki should bag and then have a say a top-loader lowepro bag inside and a lens

pouch too. That plus a gps, mobile phone and a notebook should be what I would carry on day trips.

Is this idea stupid? should I go for say a belt type bag? the canvas bag has virtually no shoulder padding...

are there any decent camera bags disguised as old-school ammo bags? While Weather-proofing is not a

primary concern, it is on my mind...

Your thoughts on this and any other tips for traveling and not drawing attention apart from when the

camera comes out would be appreciated.

As an aside I currently use a crumpler shoulder bag, once bright read, no faded all to hell, but still too

garish for what i want to achieve...

Thanks!

P.s. If anyone has suggestions for other threads i could not find from searching or even other forums

dedicated to this kind of work would be appreciated. Cheers

I'd suggest not carrying a notebook. Only take one tripod. Do you *need* 2 flashes?

Consider reducing the number of lenses so you can put them all in your bag and carry them around. Or you need somewhere secure to leave them. I'd have thought 3 would be enough. 6 is silly. probably.

Forget about being inconspicuous unless you're wearing local clothes, and look local.

<i> Forget about being inconspicuous unless you're wearing local clothes, and look local.</i><P>

I'll second that. Unless your camera bag has flashing lights and a wailing siren, it will have a negligible effect on how conspicuous you are.<P>

For a walk-around bag, I use a Domke F-5XB. It'll hold a 5D with prime lens and a small zoom, as well as a notepad, pencil, extra CF cards, map, etc.

For the sake of clarity I don't believe any westerner rightly believes they can be

inconspicuous in the third world. That should be obvious. However there is a big

difference between having two cameras hanging off your neck with white L glass lenses

and a fat ass Lowepro "Stealth" hanging on your back compared to carrying a Domke.

And it is a Domke F-1x I have decided on. Probably olive, but maybe sand. I like my stuff

dirty and the sand colour would look nice covered in dirt...

Thank you for your help.

I second what most people have said about "standing out". To third world thieves, muggers etc. a 400D with the kit lens looks the same as a 1D3 and a 50 1.2.

That said they can tell the difference between a regular traveler (as a lot of photogs are) and a loud obnoxious American (sorry but it?s the stereotype they target) tourist who has too much money, a big expensive camera and who has never been out of their state before!

Just remember that you are there to observe (and photograph) the environment around you, the best way to do that is do draw as little attention to yourself as possible and to dress and act in a subtle and confident way.

If you know anyone who travels to the third world regularly look at how they dress also when you get there you can see how your western guides dress and act. I would recommend against sports-wear / big shiny new looking cameras / camera bags. Think Michael Palin: crumpled shirt, linen trousers. As for a camera bag you seem to be on the right lines with a khaki shoulder bag, just make sure it doesn?t look too new, put it through the washing machine and leave it in the sun (if there is any) to age it.

When your camera is out, hold it in a confident way as if it?s an extension of your arm, adjusting settings as if you could do it with your eyes shut, not as if it?s brand new and don?t really know how to use it yet. Also don?t use the strap that came with it, an old (or old looking) one draws far less attention.

You seem to be taking too much with you but it?s hard to advise because you haven?t told us where you?re going and what you want to capture while you?re there.

Overall remind yourself how lucky you are to have this opportunity and make the most of it!

12 months. Wow.

That said, travel light. One camera, fast lens, maybe a second lens. Opt for a pocket tripod. Fast lens eliminates need for a flash. I always try to fit whatever I have into my pockets. If you are spending 12 months of time, then it is probably worth it to revise your camera kit.

The third world isn't very far away. In the Paris Metro, I had everything in different pockets, and the Bessa R hanging from my neck didn't make me look any more of a tourist than the rest of me (6'3", aviator eyeglasses, khakis and New Balance shoes). When the pickpockets swarmed us, I covered my camera and passport with one arm. and my wallet with another. That way, they only got the cash out of my front right pocket. Pleased to say that they were thoroughly professional: I didn't feel a thing.

When we lived in Italy, long, long ago, I always left the car door unlocked and a carton of Marlboros under the seat so a thief would feel well-rewarded and not need to break anything.

I don't know nothing zbout Asia, but travelled some times in Africa. Don't even try or dream to be unconspicious. You'll be noticed everywhere, everytime, and, wearing old clothes or new one, considered as a billionnaire. And, actually, you are considering how most of the people live there. In remote places, you'll be as interesting to look as you feel those people are to photograph.

Then, be yourself, behave as you feel, don't be uselessly afraid (sometimes, it's safer to be afraid...), be kind and polite, take time to say hello twice (one hello is never enough), take time to sit down in the shade, accept with a smile to be part of the show. If you don't give something of you, you won't get anything in return.

And have fun, I envy you deeply!

I always carry my old Kelty backpack in one form or another when traveling. I obviously look like a traveler, but I don't want to look like I'm an overly rich one. Granted, getting to any country in central and south Africa is expensive, so they know you have some money. Just don't advertise more than necessary.

Jeff - You actually had a swarm of pickpockets in the Paris metro? Nothing like the mob rush! Didn't see any of that when I was there...guess I missed out?

Get some black residue-free black gaffers tape and tape over the Canon logo on your 5D. Also if you're still using the standard Canon issued neckstrap, replace it with a more discreet and more comfortable neck strap like ones made by Optech. Any big camera with a big lens (and especially with Canon/Nikon logo) would be recognized as potential target. The standard tourist issue is a small point and shoot and especially the sound of film cameras - anything else and you look rich.

That's a lot of lenses you're carrying, hope you're not backpacking as it'll feel really heavy as the trip continues. Also suggest carrying a monopod rather than a tripod - I have a Gitzo basalt monopod but any brand will do.

Go with a comfortable backpack or shoulder bag. One look and people can tell you're a tourist so you're expected to be carrying a backpack. Again, try to stay away from popular camera bag brands like Domke, Lowepro and Tamrac - you'll be surprised at how recognizable these bags are as containing photographic equipment. If you do use them, also suggest taking off the logos or blacking out any white logo stitching with a black marker.

Crumpler bags are good. I also use PacSafe bags because they have the exomesh slashproof material. Even if you're staying at high end hotels it doesn't mean the staff are rich so be careful about leaving any expensive items in luggage behind - my rule is anything I can't easily replace travels with me the entire day. This is why I usually only bring a Canon 24-105 and a Canon 70-300 DO lens and leave the white L glass at home, unless you have a travel buddy or group with you at all times.

A pro will check out what comes OUT of the bag, an amateur will just grab a starnger's gear and hope. Forget this stealth stuff, if a thief doesn't know you personally, you're a target

But if you want to try it, why not just get an army surplus or the like shoulder bag and pad it yourself? I have, works fine

Domke bags are my fave to travel, but it's just too easy to pick something out of the bag. I would use one with a zipper for better security. I find Lowepro Slingshots 200AW to be comfortable, large enough for body + 4-5 lenses, flash

BTW, what's the difference between traveling in "third world" or New York City or Paris?

I would second many of the responses above.

As a traveller in developing countries for the past 15-20 years, I have found that the most inconspicuous way of carrying your gear is with a non-distinct nylon backpack which I picked up in Vietnam. Within that pack I've placed a Domke F6 insert to hold my camera (5D with 24-105 lens) and 70-300 DO and 16-35 II lenses. As well, the pack takes all the other 'stuff' one usually carries (no notebook, however; I take an Epson 4000 with me which does me well) including a 430EX flash unit. I'm also able to carry some personal items such as a jacket/sweater/book/ on the top portion of the pack. And, unbelievably, it's not that big at all.

I find that a backpack is useful especially if you're going to be doing a lot of walking. It is also safer than a shoulder bag which are tempting to thieves flashing by on their scooters and grabbing the bag off your shoulder. If you have a backpack on with both straps on your shoulders, this mitigates the temptation.

I also try and always follow Paul Theroux's advice when traveling: 'Wander aimlessly and grin like a dog'. That'll get you everywhere!

Good luck and have fun!

Luis Curran

www.pbase.com/lcurran

I'm facing a similar dilemna, though I'm limited to a few weeks in Tunisia (but out of the resort areas and the main day-tripper's destinations).

I've ruled out a backpack in the past because I wouldn't be able to see what was in it. Am I overlooking something? I am tall, pale, and overweight, so I will stick out even more than most--When I've traveled in Egypt with a group, I was always the one approached by beggars and hustlers, I eventually figured out that it was because I am overweight, therefore I was assumed to have money. I'll have two other people with me, one another American, and even more of an innocent abroad than I am, while the other will be local, either an American who has lived in the country for several years, or a local hired guide known to my resident friend.

My plan has been to give up on being inconspicious, go with a photo vest I have with one zippered pocket, and go with a camera around my neck with one lens mounted, and a second lens in the zippered pocket. Am I totally off base? I'm very interested in the advice of those who've been in similar situations.

Get a 24-105 4L IS if you don't have one already, leave everything else at home, including flash, tripod and other lenses. That's what I did for 2 weeks in Ethiopia after much hand-wringing over how much stuff to bring, and it is incredibly liberating to have such a small amount of stuff with you. No worrying about the "perfect" setup for the circumstances, no fussing with lenses, no fretting about light, no stopping for tripods. You'll miss fewer photos, and you'll be able to focus on the shot and not your gear. 5D and 24-105 will be more than enough 99% of the time, and cropping will be good for another 0.9%.

This will be a fraction of the weight you're considering - don't underestimate how important that is. Unless you're staying in nice hotels you won't feel comfortable without your equipment with you at all times, and that's a LOT of stuff to carry. It can mean the difference between dragging yourself up a steep incline to something well worth seeing, and staying at ground level. Particularly if you will ever be at altitude.

Not only is all the gear you're talking about heavy, but bulky. You want to draw lots of attention to yourself? Have bulky luggage on you at all times as you navigate crowds. Picture a tourist trying to traverse Times Square with a roller large enough to hold a body - that's what you look like.

One camera, one lens - no muss, no fuss.

Leave the toys at home, get out and shoot, and have fun!

<i> Better to look like a poor student than someone carrying thousands of dollars worth of photo gear.</i><P>

A poor student whose ratty jeans, shoes, t-shirt, and backpack cost more than most locals make in a few months and whose plane ticket to the "third world" cost more than the locals make in several years.<P>

You're going to look like a wealthy tourist, no matter what. Maybe not wealthy by your personal standards, but wealthy beyond the dreams of most locals. Fortunately, the vast majority of those people are decent and hardworking, and their only "criminal" intent is to overcharge you for cheap souvenirs.

Sorry, didn't actually answer your question...

5D, 24-105 4L IS, and no specialized camera bag. Get a comfortable small hiking daypack and use it for all of your stuff - just leave the camera at the top for easy acess.

I'm a six foot Welshman so everywhere east of Venice I'm conspicuous.For 15 years I've carried my gear in a grey Lowepro(sorry for the ad but its really unbeatable)rucksack,covered with an extremely faded yellow, never been washed nylon backpack cover, which also helps to make it waterproof.Who needs AW for twice the price?No problem.Sometimes I evan feel like giving myself a euro for a coffee.If you like using a monopod, carry one in your hand, in dodgy areas it does provoke a certain respect.You will always stand out, so there.If you ever have a problem it will be in a city.Dont worry you've got more chance of being mugged in our marvellous society than elsewhere.Mind you if you are carrying all that gear I might have second thoughts about picking your bag up .As the French say 'dont tempt the devil 'John Hughes

Hi James Lucky you!

1. Asia is large continent, so it depends where you going.

SE Asia no problem for tourist but South Asia like India so on, travel light and dirty means 1 body 2 lens but make sure you carry cleaning stuff cus it is dusty every where.

2. Don't forget to keep your cash and Passport in another small PP bag that goes around your neck and inside your T Shirt .

3. Keep your camera around your neck every single minute.

4. No Fancy looking bags or any things that looks new to them.

5. Kids are angles but sometimes they could be monsters too.

6. Don't forget to take some of your medication cus some of the medication is much stronger then you have.

7. Have a save journey and hope to see your pictures after you come back.