best bag/backpack for street photography?

sean_tao

Hi All:

I need recommendation for an inconspicuous camera backpack for

street/hiking. I don't have a large system. I generally carry a

Hassy with 50/80/180/1.4X. When I shoot 35mm I have a Nikon f100

with 20-35, 28-70, 80-200 and 2X.

I have tried the Billingham 25 and it can accommodate either system

very nicely, however, it is still a bit boxy for my taste and the

strap harness does not seem very ergonomic. Can anyone think of

anything? Thanks in advance for any input.

Sean

Hi, Sean ...

I use the LowePro ORION AW. I can pack my 35mm gear: camera, two lenses, flash unit, filters, extra film, lens wipes, etc ...

When I go backpacking with my MF equipment(Pentax 645N), I pack the bag with body and my 45mm lens. Anything else, I pack in the backpack that clips on to the waist bag (extra lens in its case, flash unit, inserts, filters, etc .... The waist back is really well padded resting on your back. It actually soothes my back muscles when I take it along on a bike hike.

Having said that ... I usually keep my MF and 35mm gear in two separate bags: The 35mm in the bag described above, and my MF eqpt in the LowePro Commercial AW.

Worth a look.

Ray

Hi, I'm back...

It's amazing how one can get into an "equipment frenzy"

Trust me, a simply no-nonsense strong backback will suffice.

There is no need to stand out in a crowd (unless you want that kind of attention). Any old rucksack will do the job adequately.

Carrying a "lowepro/ Tamrac/ etc" will only make you a prime target for thieves.

I'm a commercial photographer who has to do location shoots a lot. I carry the biggest aluminium bags you can imagine * ahem*

My assistants carry the biggest aluminium bags you can imagine, and we don't have such a problem.

My bags include, 2 mamiya Rb's, powers packs, tripods, monoblocs, light-stands, scrims, gobos, cables etc. In fact it takes 4 trolleys to move stuff around.

Oops, i also forgot to mention, we go out in a 5-man troop.

So, unless you have extra manpower to spare, go for the inconspicuous.

'nuff said,

I'm outta here.

any other questions,

please direct to

second_jedi@yahoo.com

I'll take your e-mails there.

Michael Chick

Sean; Think about your post . . . "inconspicuous camera backpack" ! I know of no choices. When I see a human with a backpack on the street, it's unusual. Hiking, it isn't unusual. Photo backpacks in a city may as well have a label on the front that says "I have really valuable equipment and my owner wants you to know that!" I save a really beat-up canvas camera bag just for those special occasions. Otherwise I use a small Tamrac, grey, bag for 6x6 stuff. It's an older model, and is not too obvious. I also got rid of my Nikon emblazoned neck straps etc. Why advertise? Where can I stick my tripod, though? Wait here comes my wife's suggestions!

i have to go with everyone above who says to ditch photo specific backpacks. like any other bags they scream "i've got expensive stuff, steal me!" a low profile rucksac would be far better for carrying stuff in cities in an inconspicuous manner.

i personally love to bring my camera when i travel, but i'd hate to have it ripped off. especially in pickpocket heavy places such as paris or new york city (where i am currently at school) i have found that the best way to carry stuff is in a messenger bag. if you are overly worried about protecting your equipment you could customize your new "camera bag" by using domke inserts. you could lose the camera bag look, and lose the boxy designs.

i don't often use inserts in my messenger bag, or the backpacks that i have also used (and will be using more now that i am shooting with 4x5 as well, and my nikons, mamiya tlr's and fuji rf's have been fine. i might not put some of the newer electronic wonders in unprotected, but most anything else would be fine i am sure.

as for where to put the tripod, bogen makes a strap, or use the lash points on the bag. about all i can think of on the tripod issue.

hope this helps.

mnm

Another approach is to acquire some equipment specifically for street photography and forego the camera bag altogether. Some rigs can be assembled for less than the cost of a camera bag.

For instance, a Nikon EM is a compact lightweight SLR with auto exposure shutter speeds and works very well for street photography. Carry the camera on a cheap strap (skip the ones that say "Nikon" in 2-inch letters) and use either a fast 50mm or 35 mm lens. If you need longer focal lengths, consider the lenses made to accept 52mm filters (e.g., 135/2.8, 200/4) since they are fairly compact. It is easy to carry a few rolls of film, a couple of filters (e.g., FLD, 80B), and a lens in the pockets of your jacket. By the way, an EM with a 50mm/1/8 lens can often be purchased on eBay for about $100.

If you shoot wide open, the tripod becomes less essential and can be left at home. If you need a tripod yet want to try to be inconspicuous, another option is to mount an Olympus Stylus Epic on one of the old tripods with the telescoping legs that look like car antennas. Not an elegant setup but very small.

Hi All:

Thanks to all those that replied. I realize that an "inconspicuous camera bag" is a contradiction. When I had a small system, I was able to fit a small camera bag inside a school backpack. It was totally inconspicuous but access was fussy and and it did not utilize the space very well. Now with my MF, I don't think the same setup will work. A camera backpack is still the likely choice for me. Thanks again!

I like the Tamrac 620 with the Domke 3 (or 4) compartments combination inserts. Tamrac is designed for Hassy. It can fit either of your

systems easily but not both. The bag is padded so you may remove

some of the padding from Domke inserts. I can carry an Rollei TLR, a Fuji GA645, and two 35 RF cameras. What I like the bag/insert are that you can take out your equipments easily. The height seems perfect for my equipments. I do not like the Domke bag's

"O" type metal buckles. It seems too slow to open and may scratch

the equipments inside when open uncarefully.

I find that a backpack isn't particularly good for working on the street, regardless of its inconspicousness (or lack thereof.) However, I have found that a backpack is really good for travel, especially in airports, because you can't set it down (without removing it) as opposed to a bag, which is easy to set down and forget. It is really difficult to steal a backpack that's strapped on (not that I've tried to steal any:-))

So my strategy has been to use a backpack for the travel portions (airports, bus stations, etc) and to carry a very dirty Domke bag in my luggage, and transfer the equipment for working. I've done this in Africa, Latin America, and Europe without a problem anywhere.

Sean,

I strongly agree with the responses recommending the Domke bags. The plain canvas versions do not look like it would hold expensive equipment and lots of people, including photographers, never guessed I had cameras in the bag (I tear the "Domke" logo off). These bags are also very versatile that holds a surprising amount of equipment. These bags don't have specialized compartments that turn out to be too small or awkward for your intended equipment. The accessory pockets are very roomy as well... I could pack 20 rolls of 35mm film in a zip-lock bag in one with plenty of room to spare.

Hope this helps!

Ken

My set Haselblad body with PME prism, 100+50+180+TC1,4 fits admirably in a Billingham Hadley with the modular insert (standard since 1997 or so). I can add a back, a CF5060 compendium, a Sekonic meter, a polarizer and some rolls in the outer pockets. The body is vertical and really easy to extract, as every part. I even can add a short lens (60 CF e.g.), but that is the real maximum : it begins to be weighty and uncomfortable to interchange lenses.

I know it is slightly after the event but I've only just picked up my

news letter.

As far as I'm concerned, a backpack is a total waste of time for city

work.

a. You look like a geek

b. You can't get at the camera for any fast work, particularly if

it is cold and you are wearing heavy clothing.

c. Once you've got the camera you've still got to close up the bag

and put it back on again or risk getting it nicked

d. Then you want to change a lens

e. You'd be amazed to find how much stuff can be removed from a

backpack in a crowded bus/train or just a crowd.

f. Unless you lock it. Return to b. do not pass go do not collect

#200.

I've been through this one and have 11 bags/packs/cases slung in a

cupboard either because I've outgrown them or got it wrong at a cost

of hundreds. For me at least it has to be a shoulder bag for

access,security,manoeuvreability, you name it.

The highest priority is inconspicuousness and a beaten up Domke goes

a fair way. The Billinghams, Tamracs, Lowepro and the like, all

yell CAMERA. I finished up using two alternatives. The first is

lining an old sports bag with CLOSED CELL foam plastic, open cell is

useless and then partition it using velcro and more foam. Admirably

scruffy and does the job.

My other alternative, I found at Film Plus in Kensington Park Road,

London. They have a small range of leather shoulder bags, made in

France and carrying the name V-Reporter. I have the largest which

roughly resembles a chunky satchel. The outer leather flap shuts with

a sort of toggle and covers all the zips and pockets, but the

adjustable fitted interior shuts with velcro, which means that if