Best (and latest) LCD monitors for photographers?

I know this has been asked before - but most of those threads are rather out of

date...

I also know that CRTs are best - but I've just not got the space.

I'm after an LCD monitor.

I have a budget up to UKP:370 (but closer to UKP:250 is better)

Miniumum 19"

Minimum 700:1 contrast ratio

Maximum refresh rate of 8ms

Preferably with DVI input.

Most importantly - it must have optimum colour display (and be good with greys

and blacks)... - I do a lot of B/W work.

Any feedback on where to buy (UK online stores) would also be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

LaCie, Eizo, Sony and even good ol' Dell all make some nice monitors that you should be able to order at least online from the UK. You didn't mention budget which would be helpful because some come with built-in monitor calibration tools/devices, etc. that you may want and conversely, some may have features you don't need - like built-in speakers.

Personally, if budget wasn't a big consideration, I'd look at these puppies: http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/index.asp As you can see, Eizo's done its homework with regards to the needs of digital photographers - but they're not cheap! Good luck!

Sorry! You *did* mention budget! I guess that kills the Eizo. :( Oh well... I think you're probably in Dell territory - although they make some very nice monitors for the money and I believe you can order them online from the UK. Good luck!

Faye, check out the Viewsonic VP2030. I did the same research about 6 mts ago and Tom's Hardware Guide rated the VP930 (1280x1024) as the best all around monitor

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/27/the_spring_2006_lcd_collection/page45.html

(I do video editing as well so needed a fast monitor). But the resolution was too coarse for my eyes and so went for it's big brother the VP2030 (1600x1200). I paid around $450 at Newegg.

High contrast ratio does not indicate good photo performance. On the contrary, high contrast is one the parameters makeing LCDs difficult to adapt. 400:1 would be sufficient.

An 8 msec retention time is indicative of a gaming or entertainment oriented monitor (i.e., movies), and generally have a lower bit depth of processing (6 vs 8 or 10).

CRTs are best? Find someone who wants to go back after calibrating and settling in with an LCD monitor.

I will second the Viewsonic VP series. I have a VP191 (1024x1280) which works superbly after calibration. I use Eye One Photo. The next step up would be Eizo, with a 10-bit processor.

• 1 month later...