Best 65mm for 6x9

wdavidprice

I have shot my first roll with a *new to me* Century Graphic/Linhof

105/3.5. No good pics just test shots of trees, sheds, and such at my

little tree farm out in the country. Based on what I learned from

that roll I'm looking for something wider, mainly for landscapes.

After reading what I could find on photo.net, APUG and Graflex.org I

think what I want, and what I want to pay, is a 65mm, probably a

Schneider from the 60's or 70's. Any advice and suggestions would be

welcome.

Hmm. A Century has minimal movements, so there's no need for a super duper 65 that covers 4x5 with movements. 65/8, 65/5.6 Super Angulons or 65/8 Ilex (designed and made in Rochester, very similar to the 65/8 SA) will do just fine for you. 65/6.8 Angulon and Raptar/Optar (different designs, similar performance) won't be as sharp in the corners.

The 65mm f/8 Schneider Super Angulon (get the Linhof if you can find it) is a terrific lens and very sharp. I used it all the time on 4x5, though coverage is pretty tight. I used a center filter and got some extremely sharp photographs. They're in the $300 to $325 range used.

I can confirm that a Schneider Super Angulon 65mm lens would make a fine lens for your Century Graphic. I've used them on Linhofs and a 6x9 Crown. The latest multi-coated "MC" version would be best, but the single-coated earlier lenses are not prone to flare either. Linhof select lenses are units submitted to Linhof who test to their exacting standards, before mounting them in shutters with the Linhof name on the dial. I got tired of the weight and bulk of my field cameras and went to the Fuji GSW690III. Its 65mm lens is an even newer formula than the latest Schneiders and the multi-coatings are matched to the performance characteristics of Fuji film, which I use almost exclusively for my slide presentations. Of course, you give up the ground glass and the ability to Scheimpflug, while gaining some additional film flatness, lower weight and more compact dimensions, not to mention speed of loading. I'm starting to get arthritis, after 65 years of climbing around the mountains and deserts with heavy equipment. So doing away with weight and fumbling with itsy bitsy knobs was a welcome change for me. KEH or Midwestern Photo Exchange would be a good place to pick up a Super-Angulon. EBay source could be good too, if you have a return privilege and lots of positive feedback to reference.

Horseman made a 65mm f7 specifically for their 6x9 technical cameras (900 series, VH, VHR).

There was an earlier f5.6 version which is just so-so, but the f7's are really good. There are

two versions of the 65/7... a Super and a Super ER. The Super is single coated and the Super

ER is multicoated (the ER version is very hard to come by). Both will actually cover 4x5 (with

no movements). Horseman also made a 75/5.6 Super & Super ER as well, which are very

sharp lenses. All of the Horseman lenses are equipped with Seiko shutters, which are slightly

smaller than Copal 0. I recently picked up a couple of the 65 Supers on eBay for under $300

each, which I use on 612 format cameras.<div>00FOGL-28405784.jpg.94b4912bc38705b15941df46d4bb2a43.jpg</div>

Hi David,

The f8 Super Angulon is just fine, the f 5.6 Super angulon is excellent but you have ask yourself if the price is worth the extra 5 degrees of coverage. Contrary to so some opinions, the regular Angulon f6.8 which covers 85 degrees is very sharp.

The best buy's however are tha Ilex manufactured lenses. The are better than all but one of the above (the 5.6 Super). They are about 103 degees and are listed as WF Caltars (90mm only), B&J Acugon, BBOI VeriWide, and Ilex WA Paragon.

With all super wide angle lenses of 90degrees or wider, you must FOCUS IN!

120/121 focus on the subject but not further than 50 feet

90mm focus on the subject but not further than 35 feet, 75mm focus on the subject but not further than 30 feet, 65mm focus on the subject but not further than 25 feet, 47mm focus on the submect but not further then 15 feet.

If you readers don't believe this focus at 200 feet, and then shoot at the above distances carrying focus by depth of field. You won't even need a magnifying glass to see the difference.

Lynn

Lynn