Best 35mm SLR viewfinder?

bayfieldxcv

So my beloved canon A1 just broke and now I'm looking for a new camera. I'm looking for a slr with a digital readout in the view finder showing the aperture/ shutter speed as a LCD numbers like the canon A1 does and not a dial or needle. Any recommendations? Cheers

If you want to stay in the FD mount and want to keep a digital read-out, the T90 is great and also displays more information than the A-1. The focusing screens are also great-they're bright but have plenty of contrast for easy focusing.

If you don't mind switching brands, the later Nikon single digit Fs are a good starting point. The F3 has a big and beautiful finder, although the shutter speed LCD is tiny and can be difficult to see. The F4 has a nice display with a lot of information, as do the F5 and F6. The F3, F4, and F5 all display the set aperture by something called the "ADR" scale, which is a direct optical read-out of the lens, but it's bright and easy to see(the F4 only uses this in aperture priority and manual, while it only comes into play on the F5 with manual focus lenses). The F4 and F5 standard screens are big and bright but not the best for manual focusing, although rare optional screens are available for both with focus aids. The F100 is good also, although screens with focus aids are even more obscure.

• Like 2

If you want to stay in the FD mount and want to keep a digital read-out, the T90 is great and also displays more information than the A-1. The focusing screens are also great-they're bright but have plenty of contrast for easy focusing.

If you don't mind switching brands, the later Nikon single digit Fs are a good starting point. The F3 has a big and beautiful finder, although the shutter speed LCD is tiny and can be difficult to see. The F4 has a nice display with a lot of information, as do the F5 and F6. The F3, F4, and F5 all display the set aperture by something called the "ADR" scale, which is a direct optical read-out of the lens, but it's bright and easy to see(the F4 only uses this in aperture priority and manual, while it only comes into play on the F5 with manual focus lenses). The F4 and F5 standard screens are big and bright but not the best for manual focusing, although rare optional screens are available for both with focus aids. The F100 is good also, although screens with focus aids are even more obscure.

Thanks for all the information! I was looking at a Nikon f3 already so I might just bite the bullet and give it a go! You never know if you like something till you try it as I found out with the olympus om1 and the minolta xd7 which both came highly recommended and I hated both

I'll second the Canon T90 as well as the Nikon F3 (and up). The T90 advantage is that you already have Canon lenses. The F3 advantage is that (albeit slow by modern standards) you can use AF capabilities (although not the G lenses).
  • Like 1

For a 50mm, I'd go with a 50mm f/1.4 AI or AI-s. I honestly don't see any difference between the two, and most cameras can't take advantage of the key feature of AI-s lenses(linear actuation of the aperture via the stop-down lever), and even the ones that can like the FA will still work fine with AI lenses. You can probably get an AI for $100-125, while the AI-S might be closer to $150.

The 50mm f/2 AI is possibly one of the sharpest 50mm lenses Nikon ever made and can usually be had for $50.

I like the 50mm f/1.8 AI-s, which will probably run $75 or so. The other manual focus option is the Series E 50mm f/1.8. The Series E was Nikon's "budget" line of lenses, and the 50mm is also quite compact(it's nearly a "pancake" lens). I'm not overly fond of it, but it's a bit of a cult classic and IMO prices are artificially inflated to $50+ because of it. I'd rather use the f/2 than the series E.

35mm is a bit more straight forward. You basically have two options-f/2 or f/1.4. The f/2 should be under $100, while the f/1.4 will run a few hundred. The f/1.4 is a beast and IMO is a bit more of a special purpose lens. If you really want one and are so inclined, you can even buy one new(I think you can get the 50mm f/1.4 AI-S also).

You can always use autofocus lenses as long as they have aperture rings(avoid anything designated "G"). The only downside is the loose, sloppy feeling when manually focusing(one of the real pleasures with manual focus Nikkor lenses is how the focusing ring is almost perfectly weighted). The 50mm 1.8 and 1.8D use the same optical formula as the Series E but with better coatings. These are about $100 used. The f/1.4(D) is the same as the AI-S version and will run you ~$200. The 35mm f/2D is around $350 new, or $250 used...it's not a great lens IMO.

In the 50mm category, the 55mm Micros are also worth a mention. The AI version is f/3.5, while the AI-s version(still available new) is f/2.8. In my experience, and I'm not the only one who feels this way, the AI lens is better for true macro work, while the AI-S is better as a general purpose lens that can focus close when you need it to.

Since you asked about the "best" I'd be remiss to not mention the Zeiss lenses although they are pricey. I was playing with a 35mm f/2 Distagon in a local shop today, and it was ~$600 used. I don't know how much it is new-maybe $800-1K, and the 50mm f/1.4 is around the same price. By all accounts, they're phenomenal. They are manual focus AI-P lenses, which means that they have a CPU and thus give full auto exposure in all modes on autofocus cameras(except some of the newest low end digitals). AI-P isn't STRICTLY necessary, as if you later want an AF film camera or a DSLR, most of the better ones will give aperture priority and and manual with all AI lenses.

One last thing-it's important that you get AI or AI-S lenses(all AF lenses with aperture rings, along with AI-P lenses, are also AI-S). If you look at the aperture ring, AI-s lenses will have a "step" somewhere around f/5.6(the exact location depends on the maximum aperture). They also have a second row of aperture numbers for the optical "Aperture Direct Readout" system. This "step" engages a "tab" that's concentric with the lens mount(on the F3 and all other cameras that will meter with AI lenses and are not the F2A and F2AS). Non-AI lenses have an aperture ring that goes all the way to the base of the lens mount, and no secondary scale. On the F3, you need to flip up the AI tab and can only meter in stop-down mode. It's worth mentioning that there are ways to convert lenses to AI-the factory made replacement aperture rings, which are the cleanest option, although some folks also cut the step in the aperture ring(I'm not a big fan of this method, although I've also done it myself). Even if AI converted, though, there are lenses that are probably best avoided-I love the 50mm Nikkor-S(chrome nose/fluted focus ring) but it's loaded with spherical abberation and is fairly low contrast wide open.

• Like 3

I've had a bunch of Nikkor 50s and enjoyed all of them. I thought I'd hate the Series E one, but a perfectly fine one came mounted on a Nikon EM I picked up in a charity shop for $8, so I shot it exclusively for a month and really liked it, and still have it 9 years later and periodically use it on my digital bodies. Another "oldie" I rally liked, was the old 50 f/2 H.C. which came on a Nikkormat. These days I mostly use a 50 f/1.4 AFD, which is a terrific lens, but lacks the feel of the H.C. You should be good with almost any 50 which fits your camera, except the "G" ones.
  • Like 1

On a manual focus camera, skip the AF lenses. The focus ring of a Nikon manual focus lens has to be tried to be appreciated :D

If you do close up, 55mm f/3.5 Micro Nikkor. VERY sharp.

If you want a nice General Purpose zoom, the 35-105 is my choice. It is on my F3.

• Like 1

I've got the F3 with the standard viewfinder (non-HP), and it's positively huge; that said, the viewfinder in the FM2 is not a lot smaller, also bright enough and the read-out for speed/aperture is a whole lot nicer. Not a LCD, but easier to read, especially in low light. Overall, I like the FM2 better. For lenses - agree with the above, but in my set, the 50 f/1.2 AiS does beat the 50mm f/2 I have for sharpness at f/2 (at f/1.2 and 1.4 it's a completely different animal). It's not a cheap lens, though, so bang for buck I'd also go for the 50 f/2.

I dearly love the 35mm f/1.4 AiS Ben mentioned - but it is a speciality lens which is impressively sharp by f/4 and f/5.6, but below that it's more a character lens. The Zeiss 35mm f/2 mentioned in that same post would be my choice for a more all-round choice. In fact, one is on my way :-)

Another option -budget allowing - would be a Leica R. Viewfinders on mine aren't bad (not as large as the F3, but bright and large enough), read-out in the viewfinder is clear and the lenses are great. The Summicron-R 50mm doesn't need to cost a great deal, and it's about as good as 50mm lenses get. The Summicron-R 35mm also won't disappoint, but it's normally a lot more expensive.

• Like 2

So my beloved canon A1 just broke and now I'm looking for a new camera. I'm looking for a slr with a digital readout in the view finder showing the aperture/ shutter speed as a LCD numbers like the canon A1 does and not a dial or needle. Any recommendations? Cheers

Why not buy another A1, as I love mine as well?

• Like 1

It's argued by many that the early film Olympus OM-1 and its immediate descendants are among the best SLR finders ever. The Nikon F has as close to 100% view shown as you can get.

On the other hand, if the A-1 was beloved, why not get another one?

• Like 3

I've got the F3 with the standard viewfinder (non-HP), and it's positively huge; that said, the viewfinder in the FM2 is not a lot smaller, also bright enough and the read-out for speed/aperture is a whole lot nicer. Not a LCD, but easier to read, especially in low light. Overall, I like the FM2 better.

I love the FM2n(I do have three of them) but the read-outs drive me crazy since they're all over the viewfinder. The exposure LEDs are on the right side, the aperture(via ADR) is below it, and the shutter speed is on the left and intrudes into the image area.

I like the F2 with DP-12 finder(F2AS) a lot better, along with the DP-3(F2SB) for use with non-AI lenses. The screen image itself is similar to the FM2(probably a bit dimmer since the FM2 has the newer, brighter screens) but I like having shutter speed, set aperture, and the +/o/- LEDs across the bottom of the finder.

• Like 1