Bessa II: Got my first roll back. HOLY COW!!!

ward

Just wanted to spill out some excess enthusiasm onto the floor of the

forum, hopefully for the enjoyment of a few. I got a Voigtlander

Bessa II 6x9 folder (with the 105mm Color Skopar) a couple of weeks

ago (talked them into tossing it in when I bought a fancy lens for my

canon). I went out and shot a test roll with the Kodak 160 (NPH? NGH?

Never can remember.) and got the contact sheet back today. What an

amazing thing! Beautiful, rich colors, incredibly sharp, bright clear

from corner to corner. Focus is perfect, whether at minimum or

infinity.

Any other users out there? I'd love to hear other experiences with

this camera. I'm planning a trip to Canada this summer, and it will

definately be in the shirt pocket. (6x9 in my pocket!! Amazing.)

I've not used the Bessa II itself, but I have used a 105mm Skopar on a Voigtlander Avus, a 1920s ancestor of the Bessa II. The results were sensational on the camera's 9x12cm plates or on a 6x6cm adapter for 120 film. If you go to my page on photo.net, the first pictures there are black and white. The head shot of the glamour girl was taken by that camera and lens. That will show you what the Skopar can do in black and white. I hope you will post some of the shots you got in color.

The Bessa II is a fine camera. The other model with the Heliar lens is generally considered to be a better performer. A used Besa II with the scarce Apo-Lanthar lens would fetch a astronomical price and that surely speaks for the quality of this vintage 6x9 folder. No frill down-to-earth mechanical camera from the 1960s. The Zeiss Super Ikonta is another one fine breed from the same era.

In 1972 I bought a 6x9 voigt folder from a studio guy for $70, with the Apo-Lanthar. But I wanted a 35 so I traded it to a friend-also a pro-for a Pentax H1a. Imagine my shock when I saw it on *Bay this year for $4,500 U.S. and still counting. I got a lot of good pix out of the Pentax over the years, however, as my friend did with the folder.

Just recently I got a bessa II skopar, after a few rolls the shutter konked, but a clean

and lube set it straight and it works perfectly now. I shot some fujicrome Provia and

the results were beautifull. And the print film is really punchy too. I just get them

processed only then scan them on an epson 3200, works great and I get a huge file.