Bessa 6x9 with Skopar f/3.5 10.5cm

john_cooper9

I just bought this camera in a leather case for $20. It is 6x9 but has a removable plate to shoot 6x4.5.

The shutter is marked Voigtlander not Compur and needs work, or possibly just a CLA.

Did Voigtlander make a copy of the Compur shutter, or is it a Compur shutter re-labelled?

The lens appears uncoated and is very clean without haze or fungus or any blemishes.

This was made in the 1930's according to my limited research and the Skopar is a Tessar copy.

I would like to get it working (shutter) and use it.

Is it jammed in the cocked or uncocked position? Also the self timer, the red tipped lever in the five o'clock position, could be stuck half way. My first action in these cases is to put a couple of drops of lighter fluid into the cocking lever slot, also perhaps to the self timer lever too, and have a fiddle with the levers etc.

I'm sorry to hear that John. I should have said that much caution was needed. Hmm, it should quickly evaporate but I guess leaving some residue on the glass. I don't know how to open the lens up. Sometimes there are three small screws which when loosened (not removed) enable the front element to be unscrewed in its focusing thread. You have to note the position where it comes free as there are a number of "starts" to the thread. Or,the front glass mat be retained by the nameplate ring if it unscrews, but it can be hard to shift.

Perhaps post a couple of close up pictures of the lens and its surround.