Beseler Topcon Auto 100...Help

Hi this is my first time posting so if I am.in the wrong place, please just let me know....I will start by saying that I am not a

photographer and I know very little about cameras but have always wanted to learn. I have always had a fascination with film

cameras. I have a diana that my husband got me last christmas. All that being said my gandmother got me a Beseler Topcon Auto

100 at a thrift shop and I have no idea if it works. What I have been able to come across so far is that it takes an old Mercury

button cell battery and that it can be replaced using an akaline or zinc air battery. I have found the manual online and have been

reading through it but if anyone here knows anything about this camera it would be a great help. Also does it need the battery in it

for the shutter to open and close? When I look through the veiwfinder it is black..Does this mean that the shutter is stuck closed?

Again any help is appreciated,

Thanks in Advance,

Ashley Marie

<p>ubkeaa the mnabyak asoecificallty says<br>

alkaline use the hearing aid cell<br>

the voltage is constant,.<br>

this type of leaf-shutter camera likely will not have an instant return mirror<br>

the manual should say so.<br>

since the camera has a unique lens mount dfo not excpect to find other lenses<br>

<br>

the design is complex like the contaflex and the bessamnatic and the retina reflex.<br>

but should be nice camera to have and use. but a terror to<br>

try to repaur</p>

<p>Ashley, this would probably be better asked in the <a href="/classic-cameras-forum/">Classic Manual Cameras</a> forum.</p>

<p>It doesn't need a battery to operate, but if the viewfinder is black that's a problem. Something is stuck somewhere and the camera needs to be serviced. As Walter mentions above, this camera is not one that's easily repaired; the design is a little different, but you might inquire here about a repair:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.straussphototech.com/about/">http://www.straussphototech.com/about/</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>i do not know what happened to the first line of<br>

my response. really messed up.<br>

I try need to get bigger letters on my kb.<br>

My eyes are not the only thing that acts like 77 years old.<br>

<br />i SAW some people who proudly displayed a topcon 100 in a fitted case with lenses.<br>

35 years ago I did not have the heart to tell them it eould work as it was biy nothing could be added.<br>

I guess ok for non photographers.<br>

early on I wanted a retina reflex ( leaf shutter camera)<br>

but was " brought up to speed" by a friend.<br>

but if it works you will enjoy using it.</p>

<p>Try using the advance lever and see if it moves, and press the shutter button and see if it fires. Might also open the back and close it again. Any of these could re-set it. But I've never seen one of these in the flesh (and few people have) so I can't promise anything.<br /><br />If you can't get it to work on your own, it is not worth having repaired even if you could find someone to do it. There are many other cameras -- Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta etc. -- of the same era that can be found in working order very cheaply. They are also easier and cheaper to repair if they need it, and thousands of lenses are available.</p>

Thank you,

Craig- I did as you suggested and it is not firing. From what I have looked up about getting it repaired they are saying it

would cost me a couple hundred dollars!! I wont junk it because I personally love the look of it..so even if it just sits above

my desk on the shelf im still happy!!

I know nothing (and I do.mean nothing) about these things and that is why I have always hesitated in taking that first step.

I am going to tinker with it and if I (or my husband) cant get it working than..oh well and I will start looking into a Nikkon or

Pentax body. Thanks again!

as far as tinkering. meaning gently operating controls fine.

press the rewind release button on the bottom and see if that will let you wind and fire it.

there is a possibiklity the rubber seals have become GUMMY and the mirror is stuck up.

it will stay up LIKELY if the shutter cannot be would ( lever advanced)

tru turning the film sprocket and see of when the reqing button when pressed will ket the sprocket wheels turn freely.

If the former HANDDLER had king kong tendencies.

it may be seruiously jammed.

it would be nice to see this old machine working/

but not for $200.

A more modern slr pentax nikon, canon , olympus, minolta.

or even a lesser brand that uses pentax lenses wouldd be a joy to use.

I forgot Konica. best tho to pick a camera that is more popular and easier to get lenses for.

also replacing an old film slr is less expensive than repairing it.

I have several Miranda cameras. and really like them.

but they are now rare and hard to get lenses for.

I do not think any repairman would even look at one.

• 8 years later...
I just wanted to up date you that my first attempt at alcohol to clean the Iris blades ( Topcor UV 53/2 lens was a failure and they froze again. This time lens apart again, optics block out and lens in the ultrasonic cleaner, then heat and air dry process. Looks like its going to work. I learned, this is a very unique lens iris having two sliding levers, one sets the F:stop the other opens and snaps back the iris blades. Its a common notorious problem in the UNI, Univex, Auto 100 and IC-1 Topcon lens line.

Trade secret= the battery cover from the Topcon Beseler Auto 100 in black plastic will fit the Topcon Super Dm in black as a very close match. True its plastic so a small piece of aluminum placed in the cap and then cut around it threads, will work, I have done it, successfully. Finding a black Dm original cap is not easy.

I have an Auto 100, which more or less works.

About 50 years ago, I inherited much of my grandfather's photography equipment,

especially darkroom equipment, but also some cameras.

Except for the Auto 100. (Sold to my uncle.)

About 10 years ago, I got one, I think from Goodwill. But it locked up after only a few shots.

Not so many years ago, I got another one. I had one roll through it, and many were overexposed,

but that might have been my fault.

My biggest complaint, though, is how easy it is to remove the lens. A light tap on the

lens release, and it comes off in your hand. (Fortunately, so far, not on the floor.)

-- glen