Beseler 8x10 conversion kit question

bradley_boggs

Hey All! Thanks in advance for the help.

To get started I purchased a Beseler 45 MCRX enlarger a couple weeks

ago for $75 with 2 carriers and 2 lens boards. I've been reading

stuff around the web about a conversion kit to enlarge 8x10 negs. I

cant seem to find anyone who sells the kit. I've only seen places

that sell the kit already installed on an enlarger. Here are my main

questions:

Will this kit even work on the MCRX, as old as it is?

Does anyone know where I could find one, and how much it would cost?

Is there a site with plans on how to make one (using the Aristo

10x10 cold head or something of the effect)?

Even if no one sells it, are there any pictures of it someone could

show me? (just so I can get a better idea of what it is)

Thanks again!

-Bradley B.

<p>Somewhere on the internet I saw a statement that Beseler no longer made this adapter. Hopefully this is wrong -- Beseler still lists it in the catalog available from their webpage: click on "45 and 810 System Lightsources" at <a href="http://www.beselerphoto.com/Product_Catalog/product_catalog.html">http://www.beselerphoto.com/Product_Catalog/product_catalog.html</a>. The catalog states that it fits all 45M series enlargers and shows a small photo. If it is no longer made, locating one will probably be difficult -- probably most that were sold were installed on an enlarger. I suggest phoning or emailing Beseler to find out whether the adapter is still made.</p>

Bradley,

Calumet Photographic sells the Beseler 8x10 conversion kit. It includes everything you need: cold light source, negative carriers, etc. I got one many years ago for my Beseler 4X5 MXT chassis. At the time it claimed that it would fit all Beseler 4x5 enlargers, though I'm not sure about all the models made over the years. Calumet, unlike many of the other mailorder photo places (like Adorama and B&H), is very helpful and will answer all your questions over the phone, or at least check with the manufacturer regarding compatiibility issues.

The kit is very expensive. I think they sell for over $2500 new these days; I paid substantially less, but that was a long time ago. You might find one used for a lot less mnoney. Check with someone like Midwest Photo (in Columbus, Ohio), or one of the other places that handle 8x10 darkroom equipment used. The View Camera Magazine classifieds will often list such equipment.

Good luck.

There was talk on the" camera makers list" of a person or persons that made thier own using blue and green neon tubing, a voltage regulator and just some common roof flashing metal to enclose it.. I imagine all you would have to do is to stagger the grid patterns. Create a layout about 4 inches larger over the size of the 10x10 film opening...and give it to a good neon or sign maker and they will take it from there. Sign guys usually have sheet metal breaks , shears, ect at thier shops as well..... ... I imagine it would cost about $350 to $500 have it fabricated... The voltage regulator and power tranformers are commononly found "used" at neon shops as well........