Berlin Wall Then and Now

<p>Germany is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the fall of the wall this november and the Ullstein Verlag, a german publisher, published a photo project from the Berlin based photographer Jürgen Ritter. Ritter combined photos of the Berlin Wall from the 80ies with photo from the same standpoint shot this year. The visualization is simple and impressive. You can slide an arrow with your mouse or on the touchscreen in the smartphone version.<br>

<br />Hope you find an interesst in it. Here's a link: <br>

https://www.ullsteinbild.de/thenandnow/berlin_wall.html</p>

<p>Sure it was depressing. I grew up in West-Germany, just across the border. My grandma lived in the east, only 40 Km away, but if we wanted to visit her we had to apply for a permit month before, it took us about 3-4 hours to get there, we had our car disassembled several times at the check-point and in winter, the whole countries colours were something between a happy mouse grey and a charming stone grey. It was always a relieve to get out again.<br>

But there were people living in the country and not all of them worked for the Stasi. As a child I also remember beautiful holidays I spent in her small village with the other kids.</p>