Benedictine Monastery

Discussion in 'Seeking Critique' started by ericphelps, Jan 12, 2020.

1. We're close to agreement. Except...there is no such thing as "the photo per se." The photo exists in your perception and mine.

2. The photo exists ... and ... we perceive it. Of course there's a photo per se. Otherwise, we'd have nothing to share and/or respond to differently.

And whether there's a photo per se is not the point. The point is the photo has nothing to do with Leonard Cohen except in someone's imagination.

You and I might disagree on how we interpret the photo (Leonard Cohen-ish or not Leonard Cohen-ish) but we're in big trouble if we can't at least agree there's a photo there.

Sorry, but I'm not a believer in you get to have your set of facts and I get to have mine. Opinions, yes. Interpretations, yes. Facts, no. Photos, no.

The photo is not just perceived. It is.

3. I'll put it another way.

There's a difference in kind between these two statements.

1) "It's a photo of steps."
    2) "It's a photo that makes me think of a Leonard Cohen song."

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  5. Yes, no, and yes.

Again, though, you seem to have misunderstood me. I’m on a very narrow road here, strictly and limitedly saying that it would be more rare for a Jew to join a Benedictine order Than to practice Zen. You seem to want to turn this into something bigger about either practice. I don’t know why.

1) Though I am familiar with Zen practice, that’s not the way I was using the word “practice” in what you quoted. I was separating practice from theory more generally. I said it would be more rare for a Jew like Cohen to join a Benedictine monastery. You responded by talking about Cohen’s “natural abilities to appreciate” different sorts of practices. What I said was that, in practice, Jews don’t join Benedictine monasteries as much as they may adopt or move toward Zen practice. You responded theoretically about the appreciation of different disciplines, not their practice. I was merely saying that someone might be very open to appreciating the Benedictine order, very open to your theoretical, which would have nothing to do with their joining that order in practice.

2) Why are you asking if I’ve spent time with monks? I said nothing about monks. I said Cohen and other Jews might well appreciate many things, like Benedictine orders, without joining them themselves.

3) Yes. I’m Jewish myself and have talked with many folks who are lovingly Known as Jewboos. I was, as a matter of fact, present at a few of their Bar Mitzvahs decades before they’d likely even heard of Zen. I’ve sat in on retreats, know a few authors on the subject, and enjoy spending time with them. I appreciate their beliefs and practices though I have little interest in practicing any of it myself.

6. And this is why I emphasized the fact that the photo posted for critique has nothing to do with a lot of this. Just as it's wonderful to let our imaginations wander and associate when we view photos, it can also be a danger. The danger is that we imagine and personalize to such an extent that we actually forget to look at and appreciate the photo before us and what the photographer, himself, may have expressed or communicated.

7. Very good. We seem to differ mostly about "absolutes." I don't think we've touched on any absolutes here, but we have played with some interesting spins.

As to the "absolute" image we may both be addressing, I think there's a lot more potential in post processing...but the real limits are up to the photographer...and to the imagination of the viewer.

8. fwiw, I find adobe or other soft architectural forms (such as those stairs might be) may call for warm rendition. It may be that this photo addressed white walls and black floor, but it might as readily have dealt with tan walls and reddish floor.. lower contrast.