benbo tripods

steve_sager

I'm looking for comments on the Benbo tripods- specifically the Benbo 1 as designated here in Canada. Currently I use a Manfrotto, for my wedding photos but find the centre column to be unstable (- my column is the telescoping type), and often find myself raising and lowering the legs instead. Changing the leg angle on all three legs is also a pain when every minute wasted counts. The Benbo 1 is a two leg type and measures about 1 meter (40inches)- it seems sturdy in the store but thats hardely a good test.

Before I bought any MF kit I used to have a Benbo Trekker, which I used with a Nikon. The Trekker is smaller and more lightweight than the Benbo 1, and I found it was way too light for an RZ. I replaced it with a Manfrotto with telescopic centre column. My impressions are as follows:

<p>

The Benbo is impressive technology - clever and flexable. For a given weight I don't believe the Benbo designs are as stable as a regular tripod, but they allow you to do things that regular tripods won't. It would be the ideal tripod for a nature photographer, or a good second tripod (it's easy to configure it as a copy stand for example).

<p>

The Benbo was not as quick to set up as a regular tripod. If you extend the leg segments of a regular tripod on a level surface, you will end up with a stable, level tripod. The Benbo legs are free to move independantly, and it takes time to level them. Once they're level, the stability of the tripod depends on the tightness of the central bolt. With a regular tripod it's stable by default. Loosen the bolt, and the tripod collapses.

<p>

If you want speed and reliability I don't think the Benbo is going to work for you. Have you considered getting one of the bigger Manfrottos with the handle to raise and lower the centre column? Manfrotto also make a monopod which fits into the centre column - which may be more stable than a short telescoping column. Whatever tripod you end up with, it's always going to be more stable to increase the leg length than adjust height with the centre column.

I agree with Andrew: Using a Benbo for weddings is not what you want. Not unless the wedding is taking place on a steep mountain side. I took a look at the Benbo-1 at a local store, and perfect rigidity is not its forte. (True of any Benbo)

<p>

There was also a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod at the store, and it was quite rigid. I tested the Benbo by extending the legs, and placing the center colum at the bottom extension for maximum rigidity. I screwed on a convenient large ball head. Then I rapped the top with my knuckles. The Benbo tripod vibrated. The Gitzo didn't.

<p>

Will I buy the Benbo? Oh, yes. There is nothing as flexible as a Benbo. Will I buy a carbon fiber tripod? $1000 is way too much money for a tripod. I'll buy a heavy model, but I won't spend that much money.

I'll start by saying that I have a Benbo 1 and LOVE it. I'd disagree

with those that think that these tripods are only for wildlife and

nature photographers. I do a lot of location work and I find that it's

flexibility is very useful for me too. For example, a lot of times

when I take a corporate portrait I often have to work in a conference

room with the conference table still in place. The Benbo lets be angle

the column so that the camera is placed over the table - which a

normal tripod cannot do. Benbos are also great for working around

other furniture and clients are always impressed if you don't have to

rearrange their whole room.

<p>

Now a couple of things to think about. Benbos are very flexible on

rough terrain and even wedding work isn't always on totally flat

ground. This tripod will let you set up stably with a minimum of fuss,

but I do find that I need a spirit level afterwards to level the

camera. I use the Hasselblad one but there are also ball heads

available with them built in. You also need to get into the habit of

holding the camera when you loosen the center nut. If you don't your

camera will come violently to the ground!

<p>

Now to directly answer your question. From the column on up, this is

basically a conventional medium-weight tripod, which means if you put

the center column up all the way it can vibrate. If you want to

operate that high all the time you may need the Benbo 2, but that's a

big tripod. Personally I find the 1 is fine for my purposes, although

with longer lenses I sometimes lock the mirror up before firing if I

have to have the column up high.

<p>

Hope this helps!

<p>

Simon.

Camera Craftsman

http://www.wizard.net/~simon/

• 2 months later...

I found out that Monte Zucker uses a Benbo tripod. From what he

wrote, I'm guessing that he uses a Trekker with his Hasselblad.

<p>

from http://www.montezucker.com/class.html

<p>

"....By the way, one of the simplest and most important pieces of my

camera equipment is my TRIPOD! I couldn't ever get along without by

Benbo tripod. I use the smallest version that they make and use

their ball-head on top of it. With my Hasselblad quick release

adapter on the head, I'm able to take advantage of it's spirit level,

making certain that my horizontal and vertical lines are straight

when it's important that they are.

<p>

"This tripod is undoubtedly the most versatile and easiest adapting

tripod that I have ever found. It adapts in seconds to any terrain

or space requirements. Try one out, if you've never experienced the

joy of using one. BUT, be sure to hold onto the center column when

you release the mechanism. Otherwise, you're courting disaster.

Take a trial run and you'll see what I mean."

Steve, My Standard--midsized Benbo has been in use for at least six years. A wonderful piece of engineering for the outdoors photographer. I do archaeological and historical photographs, and find myself on cliff sides shooting Indian rock art and in square holes in the ground taking photos of charcoal stained earth. Once I did shots of a historic sewer pipe and manhole here in Denver, and was so happy I could let the camera hang out over the manhole to shoot directly down inside to record the hundred plus year old brick laying job. I also had to get the camera down at near ground level to shoot into the pipe. Nothing else would have worked. I usually carry some weights (wrist and ankle exercise weights) to keep the tripod from tipping when the camera is hung way out there on the end of the shaft. They also help keep the beast steady. Do watch out when you loosen the mechinism, however. I, and I am sure every other Benbo owner, has had more than one close call. The whole thing just collapses and you stand a good chance of damaging the camera. You learn after a couple of those close calls. I have other tripods, but this is the one I use most. Good luck. Bill

• 5 months later...

Revisiting Andrew Booth's suggestion to try a larger Manfrotto, I recommend the Manfrotto 3051 (or 3251, in black). It has two-section legs, not three and braces rise from the midpoint of the extended legs to the bottom of the center column. They call this "The Automatic" -- pressing one of three tabs at the apex of a leg unlocks the leg - let go of the tab to lock the leg at that length. Press any two tabs and all three legs are unlocked while you make a height adjustment or level it using the built-in bubble level. It's definitely not as flexible as the Benbo, but I have never worked with a faster tripod nor a more stable tripod. It has a geared center column that's pretty solid when extended, compared to my smaller Manfrotto 3021. With center column collapsed, the 3051 is again more rigid than the 3021, which permits a wee bit of yaw (rotation about the veritical axis) when locked. This yaw (in the 3021) is not a looseness in the joints. In other words, there is no free play at all -- it is just possible to torque the apex of the tripod in a small arc about the vertical axis without moving the feet of the tripod - the whole contraption can be twisted a bit, from top to bottom. The 3051 can not be twisted - not without moving the feet.

Speaking of feet, the 3051 also has combination soft rubber/extendable spike feet. Some specs are: 26.5 lbs. max load on head, 63.25" max. height, 16.5" min. height, 37.25" closed, 12.75 lbs. without head.

Yes it's heavy, but not so bad for location work from a vehicle or hand truck and that's just the price you pay for such wonderful stability. It's only $199.00 at B&H Photo and elswhere. A whole bunch of stability and ease of use for the money, in my opinion.

• 8 months later...

I don't use a Benbo myself, however I do use a Uni-loc, basically a benbo with some design modifications. And I'd just like to say that so far, it seems great, albiet the center column can't be extended that much otherwise it becomes unstable (this is with a metal 4x5 field camera though).

Also, another way to test it in store is to really lean hard on its' shoulder, or bring your heaviest lens camera and film back combination (it might be worth using or borrowing a polaroid back, buying some short-dated or out dated film and extending the tripod to its largest size, putting the camera on it at either the top end of the center column, or the bottom, and them stop the lens well down put a ND filter on and take a number of exposures each lasting 5+ seconds don't forget to add time on for reciprocity, and then examine the polaroids for traces of movement.

David Kirk

• 3 months later...
I've been using Benbo for about 10 years. I've also been using Gitzo and Cullman. I do landscapes mostly. I disagree that it takes longer to set Benbo tripod. It is faster. It works in extreme cold, rain, snow. It's more stable than most of others. What makes it so stable - it's leg could be spread wider, but not extremely wide, than other tripods'. Also it's locks are great. Try to operate Gitzo's lock in winter - you will curse it.

• 1 year later...

I've had a Benbo for over 15 years and would not even consider anything else, for any photographic purpose. A number of years ago I even built a platform for it and used it as a projector stand. And what other tripod (if the need arises) could you sit or stand on without fear that it would collapse or bend (or expect to do so at 15+ years of age). It is the only piece of gear that I have not changed or upgraded and would buy another instantly if it was ever stolen (which is the only way I feel it will ever let me down).

Ray Wearn

• 4 weeks later...
I have only recently heard about Benbo tripods. Unfortunately the company seems to have had some difficulties and it is impossible to buy them at the moment. My search led me to the Uni-loc tripod and I am very happy to be able to work with it. It does take some getting used to handling, but is worth it. I cannot wait to take it out into the various nature settings.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have been using a standard size Benbo tripod since 1987. I would highly recommend this tripod. I have used it with everything from 35 mm cameras right up to a 5 by 4 in sinar monorail camera.

It was a bit on the limit with the monorail but considering the weight of that Im not suprised. I have done copying work using a Mamiya RB67 (a heavy camera in itself) with the camera pointing down and the top arm horizontal no problem at all. I have also used this for weddings on numerous occasions and it just does the business.

All I would say is if you get caught in the rain with it just dry the top section of the legs as any moisture that gets into the bottom section can corrode the alloy somewhat. Other than that its bullet proof, highly recommended.

• 6 years later...

<p>Just a couple of extras: Benbo Tripods are now easily available and are distributed by Paterson in the UK. The original version was the Kennett Tripod manufactured By Kennett Engineering later re-named the Benbo and the current Benbo 1 is essentially the same. I have abused my Kennett for over 30 years and it has never let me down. People say you can over tighten the bolt but I have never managed it. Key points are:<br>

1. You can set it up at just about any angle and work down to near ground level.<br>

2. It is heavy for its size but mass is part of the vibration equation.<br>

3. You get used to the bagpipe effect and the fact that the bolt tightener affects all legs at once.<br>

4. It remains one of very few tripods one can set up and adjust leg length wearing thick mittens.<br>

5. It is one of very few tripods that have the leg sections opening the right way round-thick bit at the lower end.<br>

6. It has totally sealed lower sections so standing it in water is just fine and mud can be hosed off.<br>

7. The criticism? I could do with the height of the number 2 and After 30 years the rubber feet do crack and come off- current Benbo feet are an exact and cheap replacement though- try that with Gitzo or Manfrotto!<br>

8. Oh- and compared with other pro grade tripods the are rather good value for money (divide by 30 for a likely per annum cost)- nearly free in fact!</p>

• 10 months later...

<p>Hi Gareth, second the comments on Benbo and spares. In fact I had the exa ct same problem of the rubber feet. Here's a post I made recently:</p>

<p>This is just an information post...for those having a need for spare parts for the Benbo tripods. I neeeded replacement rubber feet for my old Mk1 tripod, which had been abused by too heavy a load of telephoto lenses :)... no, actually the rubber had become brittle after 25 years... I got the set of 3 rubber feet from the following:<br />(<a href="mailto:sales@patersonphotog.plus.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">sales@patersonphotog.plus.com</a>)<br />They charged just 3 GBP for postage! They have other spare parts like knobs and stuff, too.<br />Just thought I'd pass this on...</p>

The website:

<p>www.<a href="mailto:sales@patersonphotog.plus.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">patersonphotographic.com</a>)</p>