Bell and Howell lens?

<p>It is an EF mount lens. It is manual focus (no AF) and it is manual diaphragm with the aperture controlled by the ring on the lens. In other words the camera does not control the aperture or focus on this lens. It is purely manual.<br>

If you are not used to stop-down metering then you will have a lot of trouble with this lens.</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>Here's what we have about <a href="http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Bell_%26_Howell">B&H at Camera-wiki.org</a>;<br>

Bell and Howell were a projectionist, and a designer for a maker of projectors, respectively, and formed the company to make an improved projector. Mr Bell left the company after not too long though.<br>

There is still a separate company using the B&H name, in the business of mail-sorting machines.</p>

<p>They <em>did </em>make an excellent 35mm camera: The Foton from 1948. Interesting design of a spring wound motor drive rangefinder camera with superb workmanship, and an excellent Cooke Amotal lens. Reliable too.<br>

I used mine for my last roll of Kodachrome.</p>

<p>For a while they were the official importers of Canon.<br>

I'd forgotten the Foton. Never saw one in person, but they had a great reputation, (unlike the Kodak Ektra). Unfortunately, they were priced about twice what the post-WW2 Leicas and Contax were selling for. How were the ergonomics? I always thought that the pictures made it look clumsy to hold. </p>

<p>The Foton ergonomics? Well, maybe nothing special, but not particularly irritating either to <em>me</em>. A fairly beefy camera with heft. Nice for larger hands. Shutter release in front, next to body focusing wheel (much like Contax). But, focusing can just as well be done directly with the lens. Since shutter tensioning and film advance are done with the motor, you don't have to take the camera from your eye. Nice! Takes about four frames per second. View finder is surprisingly bright, if somewhat small (less squinty than the contemporary Leica IIIc). The rangefinder is separate, a bit clumsy in operation. But then, it being a Bell & Howell, the lens has T (transmission) stops! Very nice. The other nice feature is the hot shoe for the dedicated Foton flash.<br>

The Foton is an interesting, if somewhat oddball design. Extremely well made, built like the proverbial tank. But yes, a failure in the market place. Having only one other lens to offer (4 inch Cooke Deep Field Panchro) certainly did not help.</p>

<p>B&H made 16mm and 35mm movie camera in addition to 8mm. One of the standard hand-cranked 35mm cameras of the silent era was a Bell and Howell, their 16mm Filmo cameras were big for TV news in the 50s and 60s and are still used by film students (at least those who shoot film instead of digital), and their 35mm Eyemo was a standard for combat photographers in WWII and Korea. The Eyemo still gets used by Hollywood as a "crash" camera (a camera that gets put somewhere where the camera might very well get destroyed; cheaper than trashing a digital cinema camera). And of course almost every school in America had a B&H 16mm projector for educational movies back in the day.<br /><br />As others have said, this is not by any means a B&H lens. They went out of business years ago and exist only as a brand licensed to other companies.</p>