Belfast - Donegal

charodiez

Hello I am going to Belfast in 5 weeks, I would stay there just one

day, and then rent a car and drive to Co. Donegal. I would like to

take some street-pub photos in those places. Would there be any

problems taking photos of those painted walls in Belfast? Any

interesting pubs? Thanks.

Hi Charo, I've lived just outside Belfast for 25 years. There will be no problems taking pictures of the murals and the majority of people are friendly, however, take care when you are in certain areas ( same in most cities i suppose ). The Crown Bar in Great Victoria St is popular as is the Kitchen bar and Northern Whig. Don't forget Belfast's most popular landmark "Samsom and Goliath" ( Giant cranes that built Titanic ) Have a nice trip!

I hope you enjoy Belfast, Charo.

Photographing the gable-end murals should be no problem: no one has ever said anything to me - from either community - about me photographing these pieces of tribal art. They are public statements, intended to be viewed, and many of the residents in the mural-rich areas would be proud of them. The Shankhill and the Falls would be two places to try, but some of the local black cab (taxi) firms offer a guided tour of the murals, so this might be a good idea if time is tight. (Why only a day? Belfast is worth much more time than that. The people are very welcoming.)

An interesting looking pub - both inside and out - is The Crown in Great Victoria Street (opposite The Europa Hotel).

Two good areas I have used for safe street photography:

1. The city centre around the City Hall and Royal Avenue. Buskers, street traders and local characters are all to be found here.

2. The university area around University Road and Botanic Avenue is also a good spot and there is a pavement cafe vibe about the latter that might surprise you.

Hope you have a good trip. Let me know when you are coming and I may be able to meet up with you.

Sean.