BEIR BEIRAX II

anthonymarsh

The company's name was Beier, not Beir.

Meritar is one of Ernst Ludwig's lens designs, not the shutter. It is a simple triplet or Tessar type 4 element design.

Tempor is the shutter, made by ???. It will show the Zeiss Ikon Tower logo, but since after WWII, it will be the Volkseigener Betrieb version f Zeiss Ikon who made the shutter.

I know the lens is LUDWIG,I cited TEMPOR as an additional request for information wanted. It does have the tower logo. How do I determine the number of elements? What is your opinion of the overall quality of the camera? I'm aware that it is not the same quality of my 1937 VOIGTLANDER BESSA or AGFA BILLY COMPURS.

The 3 element Meritar is low quality compared to the 4 element Tessar. Here's a link that compares the Meritar against two other lenses, an Industar and a Nikon, but in 35mm. Link .... Cooke Triplet, Tessar and Planar: E. Ludwig Meritar 50mm f/2.9, Industar-61 L/Z 50mm f/2.8 and Nikon Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 non-Ai (PK-3). :: Lens-Club.ru[iframes][919]/0/

Yes the Tempor is a typical Prontor equivalent but the Tempor on my Weltax has a strange self timer and feels like it wants to break, internally, when I'm setting it.

The BEIER BEIRAX II with Meritar is really only good for snap-shots. A Tessar lens should be your minimum for anything better.

Edited by kmac