beginning wedding photographer's curriculum

danzel_c

<p>Any local Community College will offer Photography 101 & 102 together with a digital darkroom course which can be the foundation for an actual apprenticeship with on-the-job experience & mentoring. The apprenticeship should include working at the studio engaged in some sales & customer service work in addition to assisting and/or 2nd shooting at the weddings.</p>

<p>I came to the forum tonight looking for the "composition" section or perhaps it was called the " art of photography " etc but all I found was all the technical stuff... yes the technical stuff is important but none of it makes pictures... you do.. any training you can find in composition, understanding why people react to photographs , how to generate a response with composition would probably be just as valuable as all the technical stuff.. Im talking of course beyond the rule of thirds and golden points etc. Incidentally I couldnt find anything here dedicated to refining the process of seeing the picture before pressing the shutter but I am of the growing belief that its more important than the technicals ( and photoshop ) , which is a given in terms of bar to entry. It might not be totally on topic but i have just realised how much we as beginner ( and not so beginner ) photographers are being coralled into thinking about all the technical stuff, how sharp this , how bokeh that is etc but there is so little devoted to developing the skills of making striking images which I think as the market gets ever more saturated will be the defining factor aside from business skills , which are often overlooked. Certainly nobody tapped me on the shoulder and none of the "marketing" or forum structures I have encountered so far have been pushing good old image making skills. </p>

<p>To John,<br>

If you want to grow a garden, you might have to know how to use the shovel and the spade. Cameras are (the most beautiful) tools. Photographers are storytellers, no different than songwriters or authors. Full knowledge of the workings of our tools gives us the best ability to tell our stories. Though the modern camera is not always easy to learn, particularly in it's most defined functions, there is always a great reward for the effort. I have been a working artist all my life. I find very often that people who do not succeed in a medium, blame the medium, or the tool.<br>

That being said, I think your sentiments are well placed. There is a great deal of "technical discussion" vs. "emotive-artist interpretation" in photography forums. Some of the artistic side is pretty hard to teach, and also involves personal style. Many people don't want to give insight into their personal style because it is basic to themselves, and they don't want it copied. Rightly so. Many times one's style is what sets you apart from others, and gets you the gig.<br>

So perhaps, you need to start movement toward a new forum.<br>

As far as learning outside of this forum, look into classes in composition, light, color. It all blends into one.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I came to the forum tonight looking for the "composition" section or perhaps it was called the " art of photography " etc but all I found was all the technical stuff...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I didn't have to search <em>all that hard, not even "a little harder" [:)]</em> -<br>

I just pumped the key words"Composition" "Style" into "Search this Forum" ...<br>

Some more of what popped up:<br>

<a href="../photographer-interviews/jeff-ascough/">http://www.photo.net/photographer-interviews/jeff-ascough/</a><br>

<a href="00GtaB">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00GtaB</a><br>

<a href="00LBb5">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00LBb5</a></p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Thanks I wondered if my post would draw responses and I certainly dont want to hijack the thread save to say the sentiment was and is as Daniel commented not to overfocus on the technicals as part of ones development, <em>my</em> mistake was to do that. Leonardo da Vinci during his early career and training spent a ludicrous amount of time investigating composition and why people reacted to certain paintings. I appreciate the links to individual posts ( i really do ) but my point is that there is not a forum section devoted to this nor in the photography world at large a sizeable emphasis on it that I can see..i.e a go to place reflecting I feel the wishes and desires of the camera manufacturers who would have us believe that the photograph is made by the camera. ( just look at the amount of posts asking " what lens should i buy to photograph a wedding when I suspect that is the simpler part of the equation ) I ( perhaps mistakingly ) am exploring more of the <em>painted art </em>world as a point of education to help develop an instinct. There are pockets of resources I have found like Chuck Gardner <a href="http://super.nova.org/DPR/">http://super.nova.org/DPR/</a> who explain in a great fashion <em> why </em> one would use short light etc but on the whole. William I know you are very experienced and perhaps that experiences stretches to a greater knowledge of where to go to also , my point was to the OP in a way.</p>

For me the most important part of a possible curriculum is a diet of photography. Specifically, a deep familiarity with the

work of other photographers. To that end I'd recommend reading (better yet, collecting) a broad range of photography

monographs.

By equal measure, I'd also recommend steering well clear of 'how to' books and training materials. It's counter to advice

sometimes given here, but I think they can be a short cut to mediocrity. At best, they teach you to copy others. At worst,

they teach you to copy others badly, and it doesn't take more than a quick perusal of half a dozen random photographers

from a web search to realise that most people's wedding work looks the same, and very little of it is interesting.

Look at a varied diet of work and you could learn composition from Salgado, storytelling from Inge Morath, lighting from

Patrick Demarchelier, contre-jour from Fan Ho, interiors from Julius Shulman, portraiture from Jeanloup Sieff.... All far more

fulfilling than the standard wedding fare of 1980's approaches to posing and lighting.

<p>1. People skills, dealing with crisis, stress management.<br>

2. Basics of business and marketing, being dependable and consistant<br>

3. Basics of shooting, equipment, exposure, fill-flash, fill-flash, fill-flash<br>

4. Being prepared in other ways, food, drink, vehicle, tape, pins, pens, diapers ;)<br>

5. Posing formals, this is still important even for PJ shooters.<br>

6. Post work and marketing post work, follow up for repeat customers.</p>

<p>Technical skills are a pre-requisite so I'll not dwell on those, together with the creative vision Neil mentioned and the life skills covered by the other respondents. But above all, the ability to run and manage a profitable commercial enterprise is what matters most. This is something of a shock to the students who occasionally approach me for advice on 'how to be a photographer'. So much so that I've compiled some of their questions into a Blog article: lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/?p=1166"</p>

<p>Success can be a fairly long road. Keep the day job for however many years it takes to understand this business, and in that time build on your skills, varied as they will need to be.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>" . . . I know you are very experienced and perhaps that experiences stretches to a greater knowledge of where to go to also, my point was to the OP in a way."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I didn't think about what point you were making.<br />I just read your comment as "I couldn't find this".<br />So I wrote: "This is one way how to find quite a lot of it" . . . <br />Especially I responded to give you a way to find of lot what I thought you wanted, after I read Nadine's response, because I guessed that when she wrote, she was likely quite tired as I assumed it was late Saturday night SF time and she would have just got home from a Wedding but yet felt obligated to posted a quick response for you . . . I noted it was not her usual full bottle answer, I was just adding a bit to it, that's all.</p>

<p>I didn't have much to add to the lists of curriculum already posted for the OP, but I did think when I was writing that the "Search" function in this forum, using key words given by other's curriculum lists, wound be useful to the OP and others generally.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>PS Lindsay: Great read cuz!<br>

Brava well done!</p>

<p>Indeed. The reader could go to the main Forum page and list the relevant categories: Lighting, Digital Darkroom, Business of Photography, Website matters etc etc. And start saving - the overheads are at least ten times what the average newcomer imagines.</p>

<p>PS: Hello cousin! I bet it's nice and warm in the Southern Hemisphere .....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks William , potentially a little long in making the point I was trying to. Lindsay I think a lot of people assume overhead ie. latest gear thinking it will make them a good photographer or that its needed when all in the end they learn is how to use expensive gear. There seems to be a wave of " good marketing " is the most important skill , what when everybodies marketing is very good. My vote is for Neils response but perhaps that is because of where <em>I</em> realise <em>I</em> am at.</p>

<p>I think understanding your place in the market is very important, John, and targeting the right clients in the right way is vital if you're to succeed. You can be the most creative, innovative photographer in your region, but if you can't run a business and remain profitable then you won't get very far.</p>

<p>Lindsay: yes, the topic list in the main forum page 'Older Posts by Category" LH side.<br>

Yes it is a cracker Spring morning here - 18°C, I am sitting by Rose Bay sipping a great coffee from my favourite Barista - planning my week. Best to you.<br>

John: You are welcome.<br>

If you and the OP, think Neil’s response to this thread is good and applicable to you - then read; then re-read; then do the exercise; then re-read; then do the exercise again . . . the link Nadine gave you: <a href="00UrFo">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00UrFo</a> - you’d pay over a thousand quid for that course, alone.<br>

A technical / business point: “Overheads” is not the “Latest Gear”: the later is Capital Expenditure.<br>

Overheads are the <em>ongoing</em> expenses – I am not sure what Lindsay meant her cost of overheads to include and I am not picking nits with her - but I am making the point because, reading here and other forums, many Photographers do NOT factor Overheads as a cost to the “business” – nor do they pay themselves wages, for that matter. <br>

I would underscore that an understanding of small business, should be in the curriculum.<br>

Also I would emphasise that a good curriculum is usually a <strong><em>broad curriculum</em></strong> that stimulates pro-active learning and the seeking of knowledge and experience outside the curriculum, rather than merely "teaching" stuff. </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would say that many newer photographers completely forget to include what it costs them to live (or 'exist') which ultimately adds to the overhead when one is self-employed. And most fail to complete one simple exercise - that is to add up those costs to the cost of running their business over a year (down to the last postage stamp). That's the reality, when photography is your sole occupation.</p>

<p>I suppose we could nit pick but to my experience overheads does include gear, certainly here. it seems there is a rat race ( misguided as it is ) to always have the latest camera and lens etc. etc. and then of course there is the gadgets. Here in Spain it is very common for people to publish gear lists with photos, most I would think are taken from their bedroom studio too but this is almost another topic in itself born out of my suggestion that people wanting to become wedding photographers might add " photography " to the list of things to study. I know marketing and business skills are important from my non photography experience ( im mid thirties and retired and taking a new direction not for the first time ) but honestly I would hope to find myself in a position marketing work thats a bit beyond the line them up on the church steps and say cheese variety which is being doled out in buckets over here ( if its wedding photography I fall into ), at the moment im finding myself not motivated by a college course and taking matters into my own hands so to speak .<br /> <br />There is a tendancy i think in any sector to applaud and produce the same kind of photograph and creativity gets stifled. I think very few bad photographers are famous / well known / highly paid , theres a glut of average producing ok results ( passable ) and a few who command proper wages because in my estimation they are great photographers first and foremost. There is a whole grey area of course and a generalisation is not fair to all.. What i dont know is if that is a learned thing or if its something you have or have not but I intend to find out. ( Maybe I dont have it ) . I have followed the links mentioned and they provide a solid track of study, thank you. ( im tickled to find Neil Ambrose uses old gear with tri-x for fun , I am still getting to grips with film . I know the medium isnt important but I do like film and specifically the gear even if it doesnt make business sense:)</p>

<p>John--for one thing, I don' t think one should necessarily expect to find a body of pre-packaged information on the art of wedding photography anywhere. The whole topic is quite large, and too varied to have any standards, and as Lindsay pointed out, a large part of being a professional wedding photographer involves what is normally considered the opposite of art. Wedding photography is done for a client, not for one's personal satisfaction. So while I am sure there are wedding photographers who pay no attention at all to what the client wants, and who still survive, and even thrive, the vast majority of wedding photographers must still take into consideration the desires, expectations and schedules of the client, all of which may (or may not) be at odds with one's own artistic inclinations.</p>

<p>Not incidentally, one of the main reasons to worry about the client's desires, expectations and schedules is the need to acquire more clients, and make a living, or at least, additional income. Even in photography school, I doubt that you will find a course about the art of wedding photography, any more than you'd find a course about the art of tabletop photography, as wedding photography is largely still considered a commercial endeavor--maybe Brooks Institute's special wedding photography course has one. I would certainly not expect to find such a body of work in a forum like this one, which is question and answer based.</p>

<p><br />So what is a wedding photographer wanting to study the art of wedding photographer to do? Make your own course. If you didn't take art history in school, get a book, and then start narrowing your intake slowly until you get to wedding photography, all the while remaining 'open' to everything and anything--other forms of art, both esoteric and mundance--and just 'life' itself. Part of being an artist in any discipline, is drawing upon one's own experience and perceptions, so by it's very nature, one's path to artistic study cannot be defined.</p>

<p>Nadine, I think we came across this in the wedding photography section but its a general thing.. I mean there are <em>subsections</em> on ettl flash, Minolta to old FD cameras in this forum but there isnt one on composition or art. That is repeated across the www, I am not sure why it is a lot to suggest that some of the online discussion focus on that or give it a look in , this is my point. Or why developing artistic skills seems so shrouded in mystery ...across the internet as a whole. There is so much technical information knocking around and being pushed that one would think thats what it took. Here is a great wedding photographer <a href="http://www.joebuissink.com/main.php">http://www.joebuissink.com/main.php</a>. You and William have helped me immensley with the technical side , I dont dismiss it nor the business skills. </p>

<p>by the way its not all grim at photo.net :) I do read the critique section with much interest both on the general forum and in the wedding section. Sorry If im a little over zealous but its not the first time I have mentioned to professional photographers about picture making skills seeming important to me as I learn to be answered " its all about the marketing "... it just does not seem right. </p>