Beginner's Portfolio - What size photo's?

jean melissa

All,

I am looking to build a portfolio to demonstrate my work. I am a beginner in

the field, but would like to start off on the right foot in a low-key manner.

Any recommendations on the following would be greatly appreciated:

* actual portofolios/binders (brand, size, etc.),

* what size photographs to include in the portfolio,

* what info to include (date, shutter speed, aperture - or is this overkill)?

Also, do I need model release forms for the photographs in my portfolio if I am

not distributing them - but just showing them?

I would be showing the portfolio to local businesses and individuals to market

my skills and provide them examples of what work I could do for them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jeannie

I'd highly recommend the book "The Perfect Portfolio" by Henrietta Brackmann.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Portfolio-Henrietta-Brackman/dp/0817454012/sr=8-1/qid=1158336653/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4134408-5199924?ie=UTF8&s=books

AFAIK, you need model release if you will have actual commercial use of the photograph. Showing them around for publicity doesn't require a model release. But then I'm as good a legal expert as I am an astronaut :) so check with others too.

Jeannie,

There are many personnal preferences when it comes to portfolios but there aren't many strict guidelines that "must" absolutely be followed.

Generally, you want to keep it... clean, simple, without distractions, and easy to go through. A portfolio is about the photograph. So if you see binders with logos, strong colors, or distractions, it's not usually recommended.

Portfolios can go from the very affordable binders, an aluminum box, or a very expensive leather portfolio. One will not make you look more professional than another, the photographs will speak for you. So since you are beginning, go for something affordable. Many art stores have nice portfolios of all sizes. They are usually all black or all white. They pretty much are a clean album, with inserts and come in different sizes. For around 10-20$ in Canada I can find nice ones.

Since you are showing your best work, you want something larger than a 4x6. So I would say 8x10, 8x12 or lager so you can see details. If you are a very busy pro who has been doing this for a long time and meeting with prestigious clients everyday, I'd say you probably need something a bit larger, but it's not necessary.

As for how many photographs to include... again it varies. I personally have between 10 and 20 of my best work in it, but some people have more, sometimes going up to 40 or more. It all depends on the type of photography you are doing and who you will be meeting. Some fashion agencies may want to look at a lot of material. And with time you'll have more selections to put in there.

As the information to include, I definitely think the date, shutter speed and aperture is way overkill. You'll be surprised to see that almost nobody (except a few) want technical information about your shots. These details are only useful for you the photographer. And besides, you don't want to have this information written down (distractions).

Instead you want to talk about your work. So don't even put a date. If people are interested, they will ask questions about them and you can show how passionate you are about your work. Talk about them, tell them when, who, how, and the story of the shot. That last point is something that always sells very well to a potential client. You want to use your portfolio to engage in a conversation.

Using your portfolio to provide examples of your work falls in the editorial use (compared to commercial usage), so a release is not needed (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this). From the moment you take the shot, the photograph is yours. How you use it determines if a release is needed but here it shouldn't. However the safest way to conduct business if of course to always have a release, if only to cover yourself in case you have a commercial need for the shots at a later time.

To give you an example... (and a personnal one since almost nobody uses the same exact presentation method).

I have two portfolios with me. The cheapest one is a binder. Something a little bit better than what follows but it's close enough. (It's in french, but the image gives you an idea). I chose a 9x12 format and put my 8x12 photographs in it.

http://www.omerdeserres.com/fr/index.asp?section=24&produit=2311

I'll use this one when I meet with a specific client and don't have to carry these photographs around with me every single day.

For material that follows me around everyday I need something that can take the abuse and protect my photographs. So I use a 11x14 portfolio similar to the following one. In it, I have different sizes of inserts and photographs going from 8x10, 8x12 to 11x14. Granted it's not "all the same size" but there is a lot of stuff to present in there so it's ok for me. There is also a pocket in there for business cards and a pad of paper (to take notes). I paid a lot more than the one shown here but it's for work and I like the one I have.

http://www.omerdeserres.com/fr/index.asp?page=6&catalogue=107&produit=2929

Finally. My suggestion is that "nice" is important as you are showing your best work but don't forget the "practical" part. Some will say my portfolio choices are not the nicest ones out there, but for me I like being able to carry my work around and have it when needed. That's something not possible if you put your photographs in an aluminum box (another popular choice).

Jeannie -

I have been a portrature photog for the past 20 years. Over those years I have maintained several different portfolios. These days, all of my samples are in 11x14. I find that the larger image makes a bolder statement when showing my work to others.

If you decide to go for a large size portfolio like mine, I have two points worth noting:

1) Make sure you are using a digital camera that has sufficient resolution to render large blow ups. If using film, try to use the lowest ISO films you can so as to reduce the grain size, which can become quite distracting on large prints.

2) Use a high quality portfolio book. Not only does it provide better protection for your samples, but the quality of the book is also noticeable to potential clients. A nice leather book always impresses more than a plastic one. I personally use an 11x14 leather portfolio by Prat. It's made in France, and is of high quality, with crystal clear sleeves for your shots. Don't skimp on the sleeves either - low quality ones can dull the colors and sharpness of your samples.

Regards,

Rob