john_meredith

I'm based in the UK and keen to learn a bit about wildlife

photography. The trouble is I haven't got a clue where to start. Does

anyone know of any good workshops/courses for rank beginners? Or,

alternatively, can anyone suggest a good place to go and start working

by trial and error. I'm anxious not to end up bumbling about somewhere

making an ass of myself and life a misery for the other photographers

(or, indeed, the wildlife). I live in London but can, of course,

travel. Perhaps there are organisations that I should contact?

John,

<p>

I'm also in London, though I havn't been on any workshops, so I can't

recommend any. There are adverts in BBC Wildlife Magazine and most

of the Photo Mags.

<p>

Personaly, I would buy John Shaw's book (professional field

techniques) from amazon.co.uk and then head to a nature reserve at

dawn. You can get a list of suitable locations from the RSPB or the

Wildlife Trust in your area. I'm a member of the Herts and Middlesex

Wildlife trust for example, and I have a guide book to all of their

reserves.

<p>

If you go at dawn you probablly won't see anyone else. At this time

of year, with dawn at 8am, you see a few birders, but rarely any other

photographers.

<p>

If you want any specific details then drop me an email.

Hi John, There are courses run every year in Scotland at Inversnaid on Loch Lomond side, specifically for wildlife photographers, with instructors like Laurie Campbell, or Niall Benvie. (sorry no current tel. no. for Inversnaid but call directory enquiries). These are both very fine pro photographers who will give beginners a good start in this demanding craft. IT IS WORTH TAKING A CLASS! At least to learn the basics properly and not have to un-learn bad techniques later, but certainly to see how to work subjects (field craft) which is as important as knowing your f-stop from your elbow. Alternatively take a week's holiday up here in Scotland and visit somewhere like Isle of Mull and go out with a wildlife tour guide. You can have a few days being shown the haunts of golden eagle, sea eagle, otters, etc. and then spend the time watching yourself. They will not give you photography lessons, but at least you might gain some insight into the problems/difficulty in finding such rare and impressive wild animals. No guarantees you will see anything, but expert guidance will up your chances. There are also whale and dolphin cruises daily during summer, from which you can see minke whales, dolphin, and if you are lucky killer whales. Get books and find out what you need equipment-wise, assess your aspirations and act accordingly. DO NOT try to photograph subjects with a 38mm lens on an AF compact. They will flee, you will curse, and your day will be a learning experience, but of the disappointing variety! Acting irresponsibly makes it harder for everyone to see subjects, so respect their space. No picture is worth a terrified subject. Read about the ethics of wildlife photography before you act. A good place to start practising immediately is your back garden or local park, (or even the zoo). There are likely to be birds and/or squirrels in the first two, (and all sorts of things in the zoo). Get some idea of how close they will let you get in the park or garden, and look through your lens to see the size they will be on film, then figure out how you will manage to get closer! Then you'll realise why the expert tuition on the courses is going to be so valuable! Good luck!

JOHN

• 4 weeks later...

John,

<p>

There are lots of nature reserves near - and even in - London. For example, the lakes at Lea Valley and the reservoirs at Tring have bird hides that are open to the public. Another example is Epping Forest which is good for fungi in the Spring and Autumn. Windsor Park is also first rate but don't pick the plants/fungi as this is not allowed. A bookshop such as Foyles on Charing Cross Road should have books that list the reserves and access restrictions. You could even join a nature trust and do some conservation work if that appeals.

<p>

As for making an ass of yourself, stick to the footpaths and use common sense and you should be okay. I am often approached by police officers, park wardens and anti terrorist police while out walking. even in the middle of forests. They are friendly when they see the camera and realise the tripod is not a high velocity rifle. Park wardens will usually let you know in a friendly manner if you are contravening the rules.

<p>

Leif.

• 2 weeks later...

John - I am Secretary of Lee Valley Nature Photographers. We have

about 85 members at present and would welcome you if you would care

to email me with your address, I'll send an application form and

details to you. By the way, there are at least 3 Bitterns in the park

at the moment.

You might like to call the Field Studies Council on 01743 850674.

They run courses on practically everything. I am running one at

Malham Tarn, North Yorkshire, but it is not for absolute beginners.

<p>

Best wishes

<p>

Les.

• 5 months later...
Hi John I am a Professional Wildlife Photographer based in Horsham, England and I run a series of wildlife workshops for people such as yourself who are really keen to learn. I also run wildlife photography tours to exotic locations abroad such as Southern Florida and the Greek Island of Lesvos (see specific answer to photographing in Greece question earlier). If you or anyone else would like further detail just drop me a line to GeorgeMcCarthy@compuserve.com