Hi, I've just got started to do some serious photography and am now

buying equipment. I'm looking for heads to match a Gitzo G1228

tripod. I came across some terms which I don't quite understand, but

I believe they are critical in selecting heads. What does "Tripod

Mount Thread Size" mean? Following are some head specs that I got,

what do they mean? Thanks a bunch!

"Tripod Mt. Thread Size 3/8"-16"

"1/4"-20 camera mounting screw"

3/8-16 and 1/4-20 are the two standard tripod screw sizes. Most 35mm camera bodies accept a 1/4" diameter, 20 thread-count screw. Most tripod heads attach to tripod legs with a 3/8" diameter, 16 thread-count screw.

Where did you see that specification, exactly?

These are standard American thread sizes -you can buy bolts and nuts at your hardware store by these specifications.

The part that counts is: you can get an adapter to mount a 3/8-16 head on a tripod with a 1/4-20 stud (the adapter threads on over the stud to make it bigger); but I'm not aware of an adapter (it wouldn't be hard, it would just have to be fairly big, and add about 1/2" of height) to adapt a 1/4-20 head to fit onto a tripod with a 3/8-16 stud.

"professional" heads and tripods are more likely to have 3/8; but most will be 1/4-20.

NOTE: the adapters that are sold to fit 3/8-16 female threads (on the bottom of the camera or bottom of the tripod head) onto 1/4-20 male threads (on the top of the tripod, or on the top of the tripod head) are made to fit as many applications as possible; so they tend to be very short (they don't thread in very deeply). This can be a problem because they don't get a good grip, and can pull out -especially in an aluminum tripod head.

You'll want to get one that threads in as deeply as possible into your tripod head, if it's necessary to use an adapter.