Begginer, looking to buy a LF camera

andrew_gale

<p>Recently I traded a 35mm camera for a Beseler 45 enlarger. Now I need the 4x5 camera in order to utilize it.<br>

My question is fairly simple, which 4x5 camera would be good (cheap) for a broke college student, provide the quality one would expect from large format, and be fairly light and portable?<br>

I seriously doubt I can afford anything new, but would be interested in hearing feedback about the cheapest new 4x5 cameras avalible.</p>

<p>I'd reccomend looking on ebay, or locally on Craigslist for an old Speed Graphic or some similar incarnation. I'm a broke college student and that's what I did. Eventually you'll want a more modern lens than what is offered on those cameras (my Kodak Ektar didn't have any corner sharpness) but it'll get you started!</p>

<p>-a</p>

<p>Got a useable average to average plus Calumet with 16" rail for $75 plus shipping. Various lens boards included and compendium lens shade included.</p>

<p>The best portables are folding field cameras, perhaps $600 up and 600 won`t get you a good one.</p>

<p>Quality is all in the lens as long as the camera is sturdy and light tight and on a sturdy tripod. Old lenses do not compare to new lenses. There are decent 35mm older lenses, but no LF 1960 lenses compare to modern multicoated LF lenses from 1980 and newer.</p>

<p>The key is having a long enough bellows for the longest lens you wish to use. A 30o mm or 12" lens needs 12" bellows to focus at infinity, but 16 or more to get decently close.<br>

A 180 will have the same coverage widthwise, but a little more height because format proportions are different, as a 50 mm lens on 35mm camera. </p>

<p>'</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Look closely on the auction site at the following (in no particular order)<br>

1. Calumet (400 series) or B&J (Orbit) monorail view cameras (spring backs only)<br>

2. Graphic (Crown, Speed, Super) or Busch (Pressman) press cameras (Graphics might have superior "Graflok" backs)<br>

3. Cambo (or rebranded to Calumet) 45N series monorail cameras (all with universal backs)<br>

4. Graphic View or View II (View has spring back, II has Graflok back)<br>

All of these are available often at well under $200 (sometimes a LOT under) and are very workable 4x5 cameras. If they come without lenses/shutters (most often the press cameras have lenses and the monorails don't) look around for a 135mm to 160mm Tessar-type lens (Ektar, Optar, Tessar) which are usable "normal" lens with limited but usable movements. Add a tripod, a couple of 4x5 holders, and some way to measure the light (light meter or SLR with built-in meter) and you're in business. Be careful to check film sizes on press cameras...they often came in 3x4 as well as 4x5 and 3x4 film is in limited supply.</p>

<p>A lot of good suggestions above. I do disagree that there is no good new 4x5 for $600. The Tachihara costs $600-700, and while not an Ebony is quite good for a budget camera, and will outperform a Crown Graphic because of the movements. If you don't mind the bulk and weight, there are lots of cheap and usable monorails on Ebay.</p>

<p>If you are OK with a slightly heavier outfit than a typical field camera, I would look for a Sinar F1 or F2. They are extremely well made, very robust, offer more movements than you'll ever need and have a built-in scale for tilts, shifts and swings. They are dirt cheap at the moment!</p>

<p>I'm not very fond of press cameras (Crown & Speed Graphics) because they lack forward lens tilt, which is probably the most-used movement in LF. They can "fake it" by dropping the bed and tilting the front standard from that position but IMO this is cumbersome, fussy and a PITA. However, the Graphics are among the least expensive options. The Busch Pressman, which was also sold by Sears under the "Tower" brand does have front tilt, however it also usually commands a higher price than the Graphics.</p>

<p>A great option, if you can find one that's affordable, is a wood field camera such as the Tachihara. As mentioned, they are usually quite a bit more than the Graphics, but you might get lucky.</p>

<p>Monorails, as a group, will totally fail the "light and portable" test. Exceptions to that rule, such as the Toho, will likely fail the affordability test.</p>

<p>The good news is that lenses are interchangable!</p>

<p>As another poor college student, I'd recommend the Speed Graphics. As a press camera, they don't have *all* the movements, but it would be enough to get you started. I've been watching them on ebay, and they seem to run $70 - $300 with a decent lens and maybe a filmholder or two.</p>

<p>More: <a href="http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/">http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/</a></p>

<p>PS - Press cameras are infinitely more portable, but you pay for that in lack of certain movements.</p>

<p>some other ideas.</p>

<p>mpp mkviii go for around $350. it's not new or light, but a great deal.</p>

<p>if you're ok with the weight of a normal 4x5 monorail, i'd consider buying an 8x10 monorail instead. you can get a toyo 810g for around $450-600, or a cambo legend 8x10 for $350-450.</p>

<p>There are many camera bodies out there that are going for really cheap out on ebay, craigslist....and so on. If you wait you can get something at an amazing deal. The one thing i look for is to pick up something that you are able to still get parts for. Replacement parts, and accessory parts like bellows, bag bellows, lens boards...and so on. Lastly you might want to get a body without a lens, because first off it is cheaper and you can spread out the cost better, but also you can decide on what type of lens you would want, instead of being stuck with something someone else wanted. But I would recommend a 210mm lens to start off with. It is a longer lens but you'll have a larger image circle to be able to play with lens swing and tilt without accidentally cropping the image edges. Also even though schneider is a great lens...really great, you will get great images from Fuji and Nikon lenses as well, and they are much less in price. Save the money and get yourself a nice light meter instead, since that is really important in producing a good dense negative. But I have several cameras right now. I have a Calumet 400 series, a Calumet/Cambo 45NXii, and a Graflex Graphic View II camera. All work great and with little quirks. I seem to be most found of the Graphic View though. My lenses are 240mm on a Compur 2 shutter, and a 135mm on a Compur 0 fast shutter. Both are Schneider and I picked up the Calumet 400 series and Graphic View II with lenses for 350.00. I just waited and found someone that was more interested in getting rid of the cameras and not the money. So I lucked out.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Andrew,<br>

I'm in the same boat, however, I pick up a Crown graphic (it has red bellows) I paid $170 for camera, a wollensak 146mm and shutter with 5 film backs. I developed the film in my garage and printed my first print last week. I'm also a student after my AA in photography and living on my Social Security Disability Insurance so I also know that I have to find inexpensive camera equipment. I have saved for a used Omega 45F with all the movements (and that is what I am currently doing - reading on movements). I can sell you this camera with film holders for what I paid for it plus shipping to your area.<br>

Good luck and let me know. Contact me at <a href="mailto:portraitsbyangel@pacbell.net">portraitsbyangel@pacbell.net</a><br>

Angel</p>

<div>00TVZ5-139127584.thumb.jpg.0a0bda36dc77364f10d47be7bd74f389.jpg</div>