Been a while since I studied Micro 4/3 so a Question

awahlster

<p>Its been a while since I looked into the idea of adding a Micro 4/3 body into my kit. So I have a question.</p>

<p>What is the current best available model for use with both the native lenses for the body and for use with Manual Focus 35mm film lenses (specifically Canon FD)?</p>

<p>features I would desire</p>

<p>in body image stablization<br>

a suitable viewfinder for manual focus (prefering a built in viewfinder compared to an add on)<br>

a good range of wide angle zooms (equal to at least a 24mm on 35mm format)<br>

very good image quality with ISO settings of 400-800 (a main use would be with long telephotos for bird photography)<br>

AA batteries would be a plus<br>

I prefer not to have to use a touch screen if at all possible<br>

HD video a big plus</p>

<p>So anything come right to mind? I will of course do a bunch of my own research but its nice to see what others have already found out. Having hands on experiance.</p>

<p>Your conditions limit you to just one camera ... the OMD-5 or something. There are two players in the market Panasonic with OIS and Olympus with IBIS. Manual focusing was always easier with longer lens so I found my Pen with its VF-3 fairly easy to focus with a f/1.4 50mm legacy lens a few days ago. The f/1.4 probably helped too :-)</p>

<p>Your conditions limit you to just one camera ... the OMD-5 or something. There are two players in the market Panasonic with OIS and Olympus with IBIS. Manual focusing was always easier with longer lens so I found my Pen with its VF-3 fairly easy to focus with a f/1.4 50mm legacy lens a few days ago. The f/1.4 probably helped too :-)</p>

Olympus OM-D has IBIS, with the 12-50mm kit zoom you get the wide angle you want, excellent image quality and built in viewfinder

Also the brand new Panasonic GH3 which will have better HD video quality, but no image stabilisation

Both are very good cameras and would be considered the "current best available" models from their respective manufacturers (not sure exactly when the GH3 starts to ship can't be long now)

<p>IBIS is almost the most important feature. I want to use this with a 400mm f4.5 nFD lens for bird photography.</p>

<p>The OM-D sure looks the part. Not real keen on the price but I guess if I sell off everything else except the lenses I would be using with it and a couple film bodies I can swing it.<br>

Lets see what it costs when the next version comes out.</p>

<p>+1 john robison .... I have tried :-(<br>

I am sure Panasonic have a long lens to equal, or almost so, the lens you want to use. Cannot find it on Amazon but it is around.<br>

I am using the 14-140 with TCON x1.7 to give me almost 500 AoV ... with 16Mp you should be able to crop happilly to give yourself 1000 AoV without much trouble if you can get the shot in the first place.</p>

<p>I'm not sure that any of the Micro 4/3 systems offer anything like a lens with 16X magnification. Such as a 400mm f4.5 nFD would have when used on a Micro 4/3 format sensor.<br>

As to manual focus on a flying bird I doubt it would be much more difficult with the lens mounted on a Micro 4/3 body as it is when mounted on a manual focus Canon FD body.<br>

The IBIS is for stationary birds.<br>

What do you all think a 16X lens for a Micro 4/3 body might cost when compared to a lens I already own?<br>

the closest Olympus makes is a 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 so not really even close.<br>

the closest Panasonic has is a 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS Lens so again not close<br>

I can also put a 1.4X teleconverter on to gain even more.<br>

Plus with the 35mm format lens on a micro 4/3 format sensor I am using only the very best preforming part of the lens in the center of its circle.<br>

I've done bird photography for 35 years now with Canon FD equipment so I have a pretty good idea how to go about getting photos of birds.</p>

<p>Just a note - I bought my OM-D specifically for the same lens combination as Mark. I have a Canon FD 400mm lens and trying to shoot frogs at a pond with the LCD on the E-PL1 is nearly impossible in bright sun. Did not get the chance to shoot the combo much this year, but noticed it's very hard to focus that big heavy lens w/o a tripod. It's 800mm in micro 4/3 terms.</p>

<p>YMMV :)</p>

<p>Mark, I also have the Canon nFD 400 f4.5 and tc's you mention. I prefer focusing throuh the viewfinder rather than the rear lcd screen and use a Panasonic G-1. It's not perfect but it works. I sometimes struggle with getting in focus pictures and posted on other forums about a in focus confirmation light which would be very helpful and found out the Sony NEX series may have one so I'm looking into that option.</p>