Beautiful Landscapes Ruined by Crooked Horizons! WHY?!

I'm having a moment where I just have to vent just coming out of the No Words forum. I keep seeing just gorgeous landscapes mainly beach and sky scenes, some with sunsets. And the freakin' horizon where sea meets sky is on an angle.

HAAAAAA! I just want to scream! It would be no problem to fix this even if it crops some elements out. What is it with people who take these nice looking photos and don't fix this?

Am I the only one that's bothered by this? I don't even get the opportunity to go to some of these exotic places so there's no excuse to get at least one of the shots of what amounts to a still, no movement scene and get the horizon lined up or at least fix it in post.

There! I'm done. I feel better now.

Post anything for or against and I welcome any other venting about other photo faux pas and just lazy photographing.

• Like 3

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to the movies where I know the picture is going to be level unless the character in the plot of the movie is on drugs. I'm going to see "Hereditary". Looks good.

After "Liking" these types of images which I'm frustrated after doing so, (the impetus behind posting this thread) I now wish we had a "Shameful" button. Or maybe prevention on the upload would be more effective where a script could detect the image is crooked within the frame and an admonishment dialog box flashes on the screen belittling the poster and cancels the upload on reasons of violating photography common sense.

mmh, "Photo Shaming", mmh sounds like a plan.

A little disingenuous to “Like” it there and rant on it here.

Why don’t you simply send her a PM with a little praise and tactful opinion?

We call that other stuff “two faced” around here....

Or just go back and remove the “like”.....

Seems a bit over the top.

I am with Tom. Back in the "Good? old Days", it was very common, and EZ, to turn the easel under the enlarger to get the horizon "right". . .I would never think of handing a client his work with a list. About two days after the first Photoshop program, or it's clone, came on market, the horizon correcting feature was praised to the hills !

So those who have awoken to their misdeeds, have another intimate moment, or two, with your editor ! Aloha, Bill

OMG! The crap keeps coming! Here's another gripe I have I just saw right now. Some folks think taking pictures of posts is an interesting subject to photograph. What would make someone think while out and about looking for a subject to shoot..."Hey! There's a post! I have to photograph it!"

I predict I'm going to get a massive reduction in "Likes" in the No Words forum from those who read this. I don't care! I have to vent! Besides I'm laughing my a$$ off.

I am with Tom. Back in the "Good? old Days", it was very common, and EZ, to turn the easel under the enlarger to get the horizon "right". .

Who is this “Tom” ?

Am I the only one here who hates it when a person replies to a post and can’t get the name right?

I mean one little letter and ya don’t even need Photoshop.....

I also take issue with posting a wonderful picture in any forum that has a gazillion dust & other lockness monsters in it. The same editor that contains the horizon correcting feature should also contain the program which enables one to "spot" their photo. Perhaps several hours using the "cloning" tool, or whatever it is called, will motivate said person to figure out how the hell all the nessy's got there to begin with. I have used my shower stall for ages & seldom see more than two dust or fiber nessy's. Aloha, Bill

OMG! The crap keeps coming! Here's another gripe I have I just saw right now. Some folks think taking pictures of posts is an interesting subject to photograph. What would make someone think while out and about looking for a subject to shoot..."Hey! There's a post! I have to photograph it!"

Kinda like endless selfies in one’s portfolio eh “Tom”......LMAO.

• Like 1

Take solice Gary & others... there is a real physical aliment that some people have. . name escapes me. . . 90% us that have it, drop the horizon to the right. Ages ago I wonder about this in me & was happy to find it in Ansel Adams "The Camera". . . He was "cursed" as well. Aloha, Bill

I love the in-finder level on my D800, as well as the stupidly overpriced clip-on bubble level that(fortunately) came with my Hasselblad.

I keep meaning to invest in some hot shoe levels. I use gridded focusing screens in a lot of my older cameras, and love gridlines on demand in newer ones.

As an aside, though, Lightroom 6(at least) makes horizon correction or any other kind of off-level stupidly easy since you just have to draw a line across the horizon or whatever other straight line reference you have. Then, of course, you have to crop. With an ultra-wide(where off-level horizons are most obvious) it's of course most desirable to get it right in camera since straightening something badly off-level can often result in having to crop off important parts of the image.

My software levels and auto crops after simply applying a cursor overlay.

It’s no big deal and the No Words forum is a laid back casual format anyway.

Based upon the other work of the “offender” of such OCD sensibilities, I’m sure she is well aquainted with the issue in question.

Someone was just having a bad night methinks, when they started this thread, judging from the tone.....

I also take issue with posting a wonderful picture in any forum that has a gazillion dust & other lockness monsters in it. The same editor that contains the horizon correcting feature should also contain the program which enables one to "spot" their photo. Perhaps several hours using the "cloning" tool, or whatever it is called, will motivate said person to figure out how the hell all the nessy's got there to begin with. I have used my shower stall for ages & seldom see more than two dust or fiber nessy's. Aloha, Bill

"Loch Ness"