BBC's intro to Diane Arbus Exhibition at London's Hayward Gallery

Diane Arbus needs no introduction here. But some of you might be interested to read and watch BBC arts editor Will Gompertz's review (as an introduction to the general public) of a current major exhibition of her work at London's Hayward gallery. It's short, positive, insightful (at least to the general public) and entertaining. No, you probably won't learn much you didn't already know. But I found it interesting to read and watch how Gompertz introduced her photographic scope and talents to a wider audience.

Mike

• Like 1

I saw this exhibit a year or so ago in NYC and it is really well presented and illuminates her work in a very fitting and thoughtfully-constructed way. The gallery is filled with vertical posts in a sort of random distribution with one photo hanging on each post, in some cases on two sides of the post. It actually creates an urban feel, as viewers walk through the space of columns, almost as if you’re walking among the girders holding up NYC elevator train tracks. This presentation allows for good focus on each photo and also ties them together in an experiential environment. I loved this way of display, though I’ll say the two people I was with found it distracting. As to the work, it makes such a difference to see it live and together in one show. And the sense of community she was involved in and explored and also photographically established is very apparent. She had an unflinching eye and sensibility, which still puts some viewers off. I think her empathy, at least in part, lies in her honesty. Some viewers felt and feel she was exploiting these “freaks.” They are strong photos and there is an in-your-face quality (probably more so when they were first viewed) and it makes sense that this would put some viewers off. While we tend to focus on her people as the subjects of the photos, the city streets and their trappings and the various intimate environments become characters as well, giving the photos themselves great character.
There’s always something new under the sun.