BBC/BG Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2003

marcus_hawkins

There are many awesome compositions and I was very excited about that. My favorite is the winner of the Wild Places category. And, I'm in love with the photo of the bird on the cover...

There were several images that were almost great ... images where a subtle change, such as a head turn, a small shift left or right, would have made all the difference in the world. That's always a bummer to see.

Overall I thought they were very strong images and the winners all very deserving. Thanks for sending the link!

I agree a zoo shot as overall winner? - kinda slap in the face to all the field photographers submitting entries. It is a stunning image which I would expect to grace the cover of National Geographica etc but is it in the spirit of the competition to be eligeable for the overall "Wildlife photographer" award?

"visionary and expressive interpretations of nature"

Hmmm, gotta agree that a photo of a gorilla in a zoo is at odds with how I would interpret their criteria. To each their own... not a big fan of contests anyway. Would rather just view photography for its own merit rather than in terms of winners. Still, if I see a superb photo of a lowland gorilla taken in Zaire, I would sing its due praises.

Junior awards - I haven't had chance to visit the exhibition yet at the Nat Hist museum in London this year, but last year it was noticeable that most, and I stress most not all, of the junior category winners were using very sophisticated camera equipment which one assumes is probably borrowed from their parents. Clues being from the exposure details in the captions eg 100ASA film, 300mm lens 1/350 second at F2.8 and so on.

Whilst not denigrating the quality of the pictures taken, the winners are not using equipment I would buy my 14 year old son to use. The results therefore tend to speak for themselves.

Good luck to these youngsters they are getting a head start over the rank and file.

They are surely using better equipment than me also (years ahead) (I mean years of $$ hard work ahead)

But I don't think that just that is enough for these teens to be making top quality, wonderful pictures.

They are indeed very very good, or they borrowed pictures from their parents (sorry, but I better believe this, or I will quit shooting. Lol)

I never could understand why so many people are attacking photos taken in �controlled environment�. Very often it is the only way to have beautiful portrait of the animal, which can be, use to educate another people about that particular species. Only very few good photographers can afford time/money and are in excellent physical condition to travel and spend long time in remote places. Sorry but most of those so called �wildlife photographers� are in fact sidewalk shooters in urban parks or ditches. Sometimes they visit National or State Parks and are making themselves heroes photographing half tame animals along the walking path. I know from the first hand (I�ve seen detailed photos) that even in serious international field competitions the �pros� are bringing their own perches with the bait containers hidden behind to attract the birds. Fresh worms are shipped daily :).

Even the �big� (read rich) shooters going to Safari in Africa are visiting nothing else but the big controled farms arranged for tourist with big cats so tame that they are coming straight to car and pose for the blood freezing photo. Now hero can go back home and show it to all the friends making the face as he almost lost a life taking that shot. Gorilla in wild? The most photos are taken in research station (yeah, but in the jungle) and all those gorillas posing daily to the tourists. In fact they are very �wild�. Try to go in the jungle on your own find the real wild gorilla and then get close enough to take the portrait of his face and you won�t have a place to sit on.

I am very againt to manipulate the photos presented as �wildlife� or nature shot but as far as prize for quality only the final frame counts not the place where it was taken. GREAT decision by BG to not discriminate Zoo shots. By their rules if two photos are equal the �wildlife� one wins so I did not believe that the Zoo shot has a chance to win, I was wrong.

I visited it last night and found it offered someone of my level the information that i wanted. Technical details. I've often seen awards, and photo comps, and wondered 'how did they do that' Or 'i wonder what exposure they used'. The listing of equipment and exposure on most images was great. I also strongly agree with Mikes comments above about the junior entries. The equipment they were using was very expensive. EOS 3's with 600mm lens etc.